Issues with Flying Scholarship Applications

Ah yes…
But i would hasten to guess that Hounarable company just like GAPAN has a fairly high percentage of boarding and grammar school retirees.

1 Like

It is excellent that this scholarship exists.

The application process just needs a little modernisation.

Online interviews.

Possibly incorporate online aptitude tests if desired or needed to filter due extra interest because of new access due online nature.

… partner with the RAFAC. What better way to ensure the scholarships get to air minded youth?

3 Likes

And?

It’s fine to propose ways to improve the process, but there is nothing inherently wrong with people who went to ‘boarding and grammar schools’*

*other kinds of independent schools also available

1 Like

No.
But, when the discusioon is around financial privilege, ability to travel, hand writing standards and unconscious bias…

It is a factor.

1 Like

Agree with this, and what it may not appeal to all as the best method, get our honourary Group Captains out plugging it.

I always found on my squadron we would never, ever hear about things like this.

I use Adobe Scan, which is pretty smart with some good features.

Couldn’t possibly, not delivered by RAF approved school…… Now, if a cadet got the scholarships and went to Tayside, would they get Gold Wings :crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

I agree there are potential biases, but never forget that those children haven’t (mostly) chosen to go to an independent school - their parents have made the decision for them - so it’s important the playing field is levelled, not tilted the other way.

If there was a cadet in our sqn who we thought was a good candidate, I’m sure that we would look at sqn funding towards travel / accommodation costs if their financial situation would otherwise prevent them from attending for interview.

3 Likes

Im not sure thats allowable as its a non rafac event.
Happy to be corrected.

Its laudable and I would like to do same.
But is it allowed?

Non-public money innit, can do whatever the trustees please with it if it’s for the benefit of the cadets (in line with their constitution).

7 Likes

Makes sense

much like paying for an AT qual provided externally - it is for the benefit of the unit so can be justified

1 Like

Then level the playing field.

Standardised application form, like literally every job you can possibly apply to in 2023.

Any remotely large company wouldn’t dream of a handwritten letter process. 1 it’s just a faf, 2 it’s full of bias.

3 Likes

And that’s all fine but you haven’t addressed the issue.

What about the dyslexic kid or someone who suffers from mobility issues affecting their ability to write, but not that would prevent them getting a medical.

What about them? As it stands they are excluded by the process.

What is the net gain from handwritten letters.

3 Likes

Plus, as someone who has filtered job applications in in the past I hated handwritten ones, made it much slower to read. But that may have been my dyslexia, so possibly a “me problem”

3 Likes

From the CAA, unless the person can complete the required parts of licensing in writing they will not be considered for training. Same as reading in particular for things like emergency checklists. If for example, you are unable to read an FRC then you are a danger to yourself and others. So if they are unable to do any this they are disbarred from training.

Edited to add:

Those with a physical handicap of any sort may require a Medical Flight Test and adaption of an aircraft. Certain drugs are prohibited due to their effects on the person which may or may not be apparent on the ground or may do so with increasing altitude.

Edited to add again:

A written application could be used as a crude filter mechanism to detect those who may not be able to pass the CAA requirements.

1 Like

You can hold a class 1 medical with a prosthetic arm.

A class 2 medical can easily be held with more limiting conditions.

A ‘crude’ mechanism isn’t the way of doing it. It wasn’t designed as a medical filter, it was just designed without the slightest consideration of anyone with accessibility issues would be my guess.

Why they can’t just say ‘oh, good point’.

And even if it was a medical filter (it isn’t…), it still adds issues of handwriting bias, tech issues etc.

Until someone can say ‘yes, but the application process is made so much better with a handwritten application because of X’ and actually explain what X is then I don’t buy it.

At the moment it’s just ‘yeah but if you can’t write a letter you shouldn’t be a pilot anyway, get over it :man_shrugging:

Yes, aware I’m banging on about it and it’s probably irritating to some but no apologies, I’ll keep banging in about it until stuff like this is open to all.

It’s the principle, if anything people with these accessibility/mobility issues should be given every possible assistance to apply over an above a regular candidate to give them at the very least a level playing field.

It’s not good enough to just disregard these concerns on the basis they’d fail anyway, if anything I find that more insulting.

3 Likes

Someone with dyslexia could, depending on how it manifests for them, comply with those requirements, but have dreadful handwriting and maybe not spot spelling errors, even if pre-written in word and run through a spell check. In an application process of handwritten letters there is going to be an unconscious impression created by this.

1 Like

It’s their train set, their rules - even if we don’t like them. I would guess that there were some previous background factors that made them specify hand-written applications. Yes, it would be nice for them to say why, but again, it’s their train set - & if they give specific reasons (such as on-line plagiarism of XXXX or YYYY,) then this can give ideas to those who might want to be lazy / take advantage of possible cheats.

Perhaps they are looking primarily at their “investment” of a lot of money for a scholarship & are wary of allocating this to anyone (not just with “accessibility/mobility issues”) who may have difficulties conducting the trg successfully?

1 Like