HM King Charles III - Coronation Medal

We have the advantage that less is more, we can go down that route if we wants and it can look really smart.

Even if it was just on jumpers, it would actually be more traditionally correct for the British as we always wore them on battle dress and it’s predecessors.

4 Likes

Why say silly things

5 Likes

What does it say about CFAV that this is the most frequently commented-on thread right now?

1 Like

I don’t think it says as much as you think. It’s just a bit of an interesting topic that we don’t see come up all that often. I’m a CI, so know I won’t be getting one! But still find the conversation interesting :slight_smile:

9 Likes

What new topic would you rather discuss? The role of Staff Cadets? How bad Ultilearn is? Poor internal Comms?

5 Likes

Canada certainly does. I think it looks rather good. I don’t know if they wear all or just some medals though

Because life is dull otherwise?

1 Like

I see Cadet Forces Medal Mounting has some miniatures in stock and sets are going out.

1 Like

I’ve got it on order… Just taking it’s sweet time.

You not doing mounting for this one?

1 Like

I meant ribbons and miniatures on order. But they’ve still not arrived.

Should have worded that better.

2 Likes

Basically this forum is full of people who like to geek out on the trivia of this sort of thing.

3 Likes

Exactly. The same way you end up with a thread with 500 replies discussing the best way to teach a right wheel! Some trivial things just lead to long conversations :rofl:

2 Likes

Except that to many on here, the chance of a bit more bling is probably not trivial!

Negative.
Lets discuss the lack of flying. :joy::rofl:

Not sure if this has been added previously but I got this from MODnet

HIS MAJESTY THE KING’S CORONATION MEDAL Q&A

In recognition of His Majesty The King’s role as Commander-in-Chief of the UK Armed Forces, members of the Defence community who meet any one of the following criteria will be awarded the Coronation Medal:

• • Members of the Armed Forces, Civil Service and those from MOD sponsored voluntary organisations who provide active contributory service to the official constitutional Coronation events, including events in the Devolved Administrations, Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories.

• • Serving members of the Armed Forces who have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 May 2023.

• • Members of the Armed Forces who participate in Armed Forces Coronation events throughout the rest of 2023, such as official gun salutes, parades, or presentations of regimental colours.

Further details of the qualifying events and awarding process will be announced in the coming weeks.

Q and A

What is meant by active contributory service to the Coronation?

Those providing active contributory service to Coronation events will include those who make an active contribution to planning and supporting official constitutional Coronation events as well as those directly contributing to the delivery of the Coronation such as roles in the ceremonial aspects.

Who will make decisions on eligibility for active contributory service?

A tri-service governance process exists within the MOD for all matters of medallic recognition. This will now consider the involvement of Defence personnel in the Coronation and their eligibility for the medal.

Why has 5 years been chosen as the qualifying criteria?

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is the lead Government Department for the Coronation and they have worked with other departments to develop a qualifying criteria which was approved by His Majesty The King. The Coronation Medal will also be awarded to members of the Emergency Services and some other public service organisations. For the Armed Forces, as well as recognising those who have served for more than 5 years, the Coronation Medal will recognise many more junior Service Personnel who will make a valuable contribution to the Coronation on 6 May 23 or to a range of other Armed Forces Coronation events throughout 2023.

Which MOD sponsored voluntary organisations are included?

We expect those from voluntary organisations such as St John Ambulance, the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry and standard bearers from the Royal British Legion, who provide an active contribution to the Coronation, to receive the medal.

Will Volunteer Reserves be eligible?

Yes - the qualification criteria for Volunteer Reserves will be very closely aligned with that for Regular personnel.

Overseas Territories

Personnel serving in the Defence Forces or Regiments of Overseas Territories will be eligible provided they meet one of the qualifying criteria (Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Turks and Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat).

Will MOD Police and other MOD emergency services receive the medal?

Eligible members of the MOD Police and MOD emergency services will qualify along the same lines as their non-MOD equivalents.

Will MOD Civil Servants be eligible?

Civil Servants who provide active contributory service to qualifying official constitutional Coronation events may be awarded the medal and their eligibility will be determined by their departments.

How many medals will be awarded?

Until further work has been undertaken on the detail of the eligibility criteria it is not possible to give a precise figure but for Armed Forces and other Defence qualifying personnel it is expected to be in excess of 150,000 medals.

When will medals be received?

This will be one of the biggest awards of a medal to members of the Armed Forces, and other recipients, since the Second World War. It will take several months to produce and distribute more than 400,000 medals across various Government Departments and other organisations.

1 Like

So this means the Cdt FS and CWO who took part in the ceremony will get the medal! Can’t wait to see how that works if they’re a Lord Lt’s Cadet. Surely they could wear the medal on their No.1s?

6 Likes

Now uniform regs are under an ACP rather than an AP there’s no reason why the regs can’t be tweaked for cadets to wear their medals in 2s.

The ACF wear their medals in MTP now so no reason why not.

4 Likes

The Army Cadets are authorised to wear medals with PCS-CU only on two occasions - Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday parades.

2 Likes

There was also a Cadet carrying one of the RBL standards as well I believe. (As a rep of the RBL not as a Cadet).

5 Likes