H&S / ELA

Definitely. The recent MT RA springs to mind. I was refused a White Fleet bus because I’d not done a manual handling course, despite the fact that the driving task didn’t require manual handling. The wing commander doesn’t understand that GRA are not task specific RAs, and that if there is no manual handling, then the control measures do not need to be implemented.

Brilliant for your cadet, but where does it stop?

There are a lot of Low level, basic qualifications we could teach, but none are really relevant to what our organisation claims to do. We need to move away from the mindset that “any course that provides a qualification should be run as part of our training programme”, and instead look at providing courses that provide a qualification with a military or aviation focus.

3 Likes

Was asked for an example of what good ELA has done, I had an example to share… not saying that 1 cadet justifies the whole Corps doing ELA, or not… Just providing an example.

When I have overheard cadets talking about what they are up to I’m always pleased that our cadets seem to be enthusiastic, and enjoy a varied programme… A few times I have heard cadets on other squadrons comment that all they do is classification - now this may not actually be true, but that is what I have overheard.

Regardless as to how much shooting and flying we get, these activities happen on weekends/in holidays… that still leaves us with about 97 parade nights a year after bank holidays etc… And if something like ELA takes one or two of those, results in a certificate that can go on a CV, then why not run it? There is still plenty of time for all the other training we offer, and the more structured nights and activities that can be added into the training programme the better…

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Of course this would be the ideal.

And a BTEC Level 2 in Aviation Studies for classification training is spot on.

I think it was benefits to the RAFAC, rather than individuals. Any course could be said to benefit someone, even needlepoint, but that doesn’t mean they should be included in our syllabus.

I really like the idea of early workplace H&S education, but I don’t think it’s the RAFACs responsibility to teach it.

1 Like

Since it was me that asked the question I’ll clarify.

I’m wondering what benefits it brings to the individual primarily. If there’s a genuinely worthwhile reason for putting them through it which was not explained to us on the course then I’m open to reconsider.

1 Like

@RickWhitehead

Hi Rick,
Is there any route or method via the RAFAC / MOD that you know of to get a NEBOSH general certificate in H&S?

They are commercially available online for around the £300 mark. But was wondering if we had a route to a cheaper option.

1 Like

Id probably do this if it were available. If the RAFAC could do it subsidised similar to the L3 in Training & Education that would be amazing

2 Likes

Is it only NEBOSH qualifications that RAFAC\MOD accept? There are plenty of awarding organisations out there that offer H&S quals at Level 3 & 4. My understanding is that a NEBOSH General Certificate equates to Level 3 so I’d be interested to hear if the RAFAC\MOD would agree equivalency with other awarding organisations as a Level 3 H&S qualification can lead to the TechIOSH grade.

My company deliver H&S at Levels 3 & 4 (RQF) and as far as I know, learners who’ve attended our courses have had these qualifications accepted by their employers.

If you’re that keen speak to your manager at work when it’s annual chat CPD time. But I’ve never known anyone volunteer to do it, they’ll normally be in some sort of middling H&S role and it gets suggested they do it. I’ve been asked a few times being a dept H&S rep if I’m interested, but declined as I can see it leading to more work, on top of my daily load.

It’s more about if the MOD has a route to provide it cheap.

Nothing wrong with CPD and developing skills!

Do it through work, they pay for it (not much cheaper than that), give you the time off and support while you do it. As opposed to it being dome in your a spare time and all that entails.

:joy: i got told if i want CPD or growth to leave

4 Likes

Yeah… No. I had to take holiday to do First Aid At Work through ATC.

Companies don’t pay or support people to do whatever qualification they like, only those they need or want them to do.

I’ve done a number of things over the years by presenting a case year on year and mentioning things to my manager through the year. Which then depending on the training budget either gets a yay or nay, First Aid comes from a different budget, not general training. I suppose it depends how much you want it and motives.

@AlexCorbin that’s bad on the part of your employer. Even in the darkest days where I work, that has never been said to anyone where we are. I just hope they pay you lots, to compensate. I would have thought a company not providing training even if it’s just in-house, would find it hard to recruit people…

Yours sounds like an OK company in that respect (Investor in People?). My old employer wouldn’t even give me the time to travel to the course even though another formally suitably trained 1St aider on site is a benefit to them… Because I’m not a nominated first aider.

Never came up, but I’d have rejected them if they asked me to be.

They did put me through some industry training and paid my institute membership. There were some events I was allowed to go to on company time with company car, so it wasn’t all gloom. But no “personal” in the personal development.

Another vote here for a H+S qual if available.

I’m taking up the L3 T+E and ILM opportunities and another string would be welcome.

I finally got around to going through the latest 2020 version of the RAFAC fire training.
How disappointing to see that we’re still touting this same old BS…

Absolute nonsense! 999 and 112 both achieve exactly the same and we really shouldn’t be muddying the waters with misinformation which might cause someone to waste potentially valuable time questioning their memory… “Oh,… Which was the better number to call? 999 or 112? … One of them triangulates you and the other one doesn’t…”

Why am I not surprised that the RAFAC is still pedaling this massive myth?

3 Likes

I have been told this several times over the years at first aid courses. To tell the truth, i always has trouble believing that 999 ever didn’t triangulate you

I keep hearing it too - from various well-meaning but utterly mistaken sources.
I’ve also heard something of the reverse - someone stating that 112 goes to Europe and then bounces back to the UK so you don’t get your local call centre, but with 999 you do.

The truth of course is that the telephone exchange treats both numbers as synonymous and connects you to a BT operator who then manually redirects you to whichever service call centre you need, based upon who you ask for and your approximate location (location information is provided automatically no matter which number you call).

Also the idea of a “local call centre” is sometimes a bit misunderstood. They cover fairly large areas. You’re not going to have a special ‘local’ centre responsible only for your little town, and even before the days of mobile phones and 112 you’d have never been connected to a call centre covering somewhere in Scotland if you call from Cornwall.

1 Like

I’ve heard that 911 also works.
Apparently a study asked “kids” what number to call and due to the proliferation of American TV 911 comes up internationally as thr emergency number to call by kids…

Not that I have a credible source for that probably an urban myth