eSports in the Corps?

now now . . . I can just hear the mods crying out “topppiiccccc” :laughing:

1 Like

It is on topic… Pre cross border collab esports banter

1 Like

Except when I cross the border, I have to wind my watch back…

… 26 years…

Back on topic. I’ll speak to OC Sqn and see what can be arranged on our return to ops.

1 Like

Lol… love it when the people try out for mod positions. :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

Don’t worry @Paracetamol your turn to be a mod will arrive one day

1 Like

No thanks

Would spend too long modding me.

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Ahem. Back to it please.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well I just joined a local squadron last night to introduce them to War Thunder.
Number 1 lesson I took away, make sure everyone has actually downloaded and installed it before the night :laughing:
526d99

3 Likes

I’m downloading war thunder for the sqaudron next week. VR comparable as well.

How was it received?

The cadets that did join enjoyed it.

As I’ve done with other sessions, we spent ~20 min talking about formation flying then loaded into War Thunder to practice in groups.

The biggest issue we faced was the different in aircraft that people had available. By default you have the Fury and (IIRC) the Gladiator so everyone can standardise on them, but then face the issue that it takes forever to make any distance.

The cadets that participated seemed to really enjoyed the session, and I’m aiming for some inter-squadron sessions in the near future.

2 Likes

This is the issue though isnt it.

You’ll have that issue with any activity, those that want to take part, those that don’t want to, and those who can’t for a variety of reasons. It’s not the issue you’re making it out to be.

We’re in a national “stay at home” lockdown and we’re trying to deliver a variety of engaging and relevant activities.

1 Like

so what was the participation rate, out of interest? I know a couple of my cdts are keen gamers (although more flight sim geeks I think), but none of the staff have any interest in any form of gaming at all

well this sqn has ~60 on the books and ~20 on the session, although 5-10 hadn’t prepped ahead of time and installed the game, so were aiming to join part way through once it had finished installing.

that’s probably no lower participation rate than for almost any other activity we do. Although I’m jealous of you even getting double figure number of cdts on VPNs… :weary:

(and people not preparing in advance is not limited to cdts - I do a fair amount of training in my job, normally in person but obvs online atm, and all the courses require attendees to install some open-source software and do some simple checks. There are always people who don’t do this, which has a variable impact on the course)

1 Like

Yeah, i wasn’t surprised either, and War Thunder is a pretty big game (as most are these days) at ~30GB so takes a good long while to download.

1 Like

that’d take about a whole weekend on my internet connection…

the first time I’d ever even heard of this game was about 5 mins ago reading this topic! :flushed:

1 Like

well, at risk of revealing my sqn . . .

2 Likes

I don’t think it was difficult to find out anyway :wink:

1 Like