Email Signatures

Currency matters :+1:

1 Like

I was more annoyed my post noms werenā€™t on my commissioning scroll, back when it was worth about as much as the paper it was written on, unlike now. (Itā€™s still in its tube.)

I canā€™t remember the last time I actually used mine in anger actually. They are particularly ridiculous:

LLB (Hons)(Exon) PgDip(Law) Barrister

If you want to go full berk, I could go ā€œBarrister of the Inner Templeā€

But who has the time?

Posh boy.
In a tubeā€¦
Mine came folded in an a5 envelope from wing.

Couldnt even be bothered to complain.

You know what, now Iā€™ve written tube, Iā€™m doubting myself.

Of course, to ascertain the truth Iā€™d actually have to be bothered to look for it.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the point in half of the things in an email signature anyway? 99% of the people emailing you know your name, position and sqn from Outlook anywayā€¦

Yes but the people you are emailing might not especially parents and outside organisations.

Dude, make the time. Itā€™s awesome.

3 Likes

I think this is a very good question.

Name, rank, title, and position are all included in the ā€œfromā€ field of the email (across any client correctly rendering that field).

Likewise, the ā€œSentā€ date is handled quite nicely by email. Why do we also insist on including it in the subject?

For FOI/filing purposes I believe? But I mightā€™ve made that up.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard the same, but why canā€™t we file by sent instead? That doesnā€™t depend on people following weird conventions.

The reason that the date is (should beā€¦ always) included in the subject is that emails are supposed to be declared as a record in a filing system (NTFS or preferably an EDRMS) if they contain the record of a decision or an official action.

The date that a computer operating system gives to a file may not (likely will not unless youā€™re declaring records as the emails come in) be the date it was sent - it will be the date that you saved it to the filing system. The date can also be lost (along with other metadata) when moving from one system to another. This is why all documents (not just emails) should be named correctly according to the defence naming convention.

I may be a bit of an IM geek, but it sure does chap my ass when I have to first go around editing other peopleā€™s emails before I can save them without it all going tits-up. If people just did what they are supposed to I could just drag-and-drop and be done in half a second.

The other niggle which is becoming more and more common is people appending ā€œ-Oā€ to email subject linesā€¦ If itā€™s OFFICIAL (which is every single thing we create which doesnā€™t have a marking of OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE or higher) then it should not be marked.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll get some hate for this but I donā€™t really care.
Iā€™ve removed my details but you can pretty much guess the wing.

I do need to change the website image as it was in a pattern but as per instructions we had to remove tik tok, so the pattern doesnā€™t look right for now.

Completely with you on the -O thing, but itā€™s a knock back to when the old DII came in. The initial guidelines were to add U or R on the end, when MODnet came along and the classifications changed the O was dropped from the guidelines because, as you say, everything is O by default. But I too have many emails coming in with the -O stuck on the end - winds me up!

Been looking for the reference for the signature format but have yet to find the exact document. But a few points did come up in my searches.

The main one is that Post Nominals should NOT be put in a email signature, and adding pictures/graphics of any kind in your sig is against IT policy.

The reference above to JSP101 is definitely out of date, the current version of 101 is v4.1 Nov 19 (you can find it on Defence Connect) and is a lot more relaxed in its tone.

1 Like

Did you mean to say guess? It literally says it.

Even so, how big a file is just that?

1 Like

Does make me chuckle all this to be honest.

Although one that does annoy me is in my profession, some use MM as a post nominal to indicate they are a Master Mariner, utterly wrong as MM is the post nominal for a holder of the Military Medal. There has been a fair campaign in the industry to stop it, but some plonkers prevail.

I do have a L2 learned body membership, which is certainly much more than just pay your fee, it isnā€™t as much as the full blown L3 level as described above. Can I be bothered to use for Cadet emails? No. Can I even be bothered with a signature block? Not often! Although having said, occasionally certain people like to go on a splurge of ā€˜how many post nominals can I add to the email signature blockā€™ in which case I might just partake as itā€™s good sport!

The only time I use postnominals for my professional body is when I email them because they get funny if you donā€™t and the school insist on using them all (including both bachelors and LLM twice #humblebrag) in the staff list on the website.

1 Like

On the old ACC forum, there used to be the option to put sig blocks on the posts. IIRC, there was a spate of spurious post nominals, which some posters may or may not have added to their cadet mailsā€¦

1 Like

I actually really miss the individual signatures they were a hoot @DJRice can we have them back please?

1 Like

Does that include RAFAC/RAF? My Wing and Region haha a number of regular personnel with Bader accounts not that it makes a huge difference in the volunteer environment.

When everyone had their own little photoshopped signature and those weird scrolling gif ones

3 Likes