Email Signatures

I’m heading into work this afternoon, I’ll see if I can find the reference!

1 Like

Thanks very much!

Never seen that before.

That would proper annoy

Incorrect. You have to provide copies of all your certificates and have 2 verified referees to be a Member of the RAeS.

If you want to be a fellow there are greater checks in place.

Suggest you get your facts right first.

1 Like

A lot of what is required isnt mentioned until you start applying.
Their websites are deliberately broad based and set at a low level.

You seem to have affiliate or associate of a learned society confused with what being a -‘Member’ means.

It’s not member of a group its Member capital M of a learned society.

The fees are there to pay for said societies upkeep and ability to support you as a member, lower case m.

For Group Captain Simon RC Wales and West

For WgExO

All very strange… I mean as an OC I could put the following on mine right…

For WSC for OC Wg for RC for CAC for AOC 22 Grp For CAS

4 Likes

I can think of about 3 occasions tops when I’ve been asked by OC Wing to send something out on their behalf when I might have used “For OC”.
Maybe a few occasions for the Sqn OC such as “I’m away to a meeting in 5 minutes can you send an email to all staff for me…” but on those occasions I wouldn’t bother including “For OC” at all.

Just RAFAC, when I went through ATF we were trained to treat an email as a letter and as such postnominals to show which RAF branch we were in was expected.

I see this at work a lot, there are certain skills which yes it makes sense to put in your signature, but others that it really doesn’t. (Who cares that your an Advanced Driver).

This used to be taught at ATF too on the basis that if you aren’t the OC then everything you do is on their behalf. Never gone on for it myself but that’s where it came from.

The WWO / OCW of a previous Wing I was in dictated that every email sent from a Bader account included

for OC

after your name. I think most people in the Wing were just totally institutionalised into doing it

Sounds completely and utterly daft. Who comes up with this tripe?

If you’re sending something on someone else’s behalf, as a delegated task or because they can’t for whatever reason, why not just be upfront about it - then the authority of what you say is clear from the start.

If you add it to everything then a) you’re hiding behind their authority and b) it loses its power anyway.

… C) OC better darn well know what you’re slapping their name on.

1 Like

That’s hilarious.

As if people haven’t got better things to do than policing the exact wording of your emails :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

The last version of JSP101 I can find online (although I understand it’s been superseded anyway) says

J Smith
Flt Lt
SO3 A3
HQ UKC
Low Spalding
EG1 2TN
Military Network: 9555 7259
Telephone: 01774 787259
DII: UKC A3-SO3
Personal: Jon.Smith222@mod.uk

i.e. separate out rank and name. This helps for those people who have both a rank and a title:

Sir John Smith
Fg Off

or

The Reverend J Smith
Sqn Ldr
Wing Chaplain

(although whether or not Chaplains use their nominal military rank is something that doesn’t seem clear, in a 5 min Google I’ve seen both that they should and shouldn’t - I’ve certainly seen it in real life)

(and, don’t even get me started on whether CI is a rank or title… amirite @steve679?! :rofl:)

i get that - but it still “only” requires following a career path relevant to the qualifications held and paying a membership fee and some feel they deserve the letters to follow their name.

L1 - The affiliate or associated members are “unregulated” to choose a phrase. pays your money, get your membership card.
L2 - then a level of “X years in relevant industry with relevant qualifications, an application form and your in for a £fee”

L3 then the higher level “Chartership” (as an example) and beyond, where the real work begins, genuine step above the rest in terms of knowledge, skills, understanding and experience. someone who is a real talent.

At L1 and L2 - the postnominals of this level of membership is a joke, they mean nothing. but I have seen people use them.

because people at level 1 and 2 use them, it dilutes the use of those who genuinely have reason to at L3

that is the point i have tried to make (poorly)

1 Like

I don’t disagree with your sentiments. I’d add that a lot of learned societies have an Associate membership postnominal which is different. For example, as chemistry graduate, when I paid the Royal Society of Chemistry, I could use the postnominals of

AMRSC

Only after relevant experience would I have been allowed to use

MRSC

and then could have gone onto CChem / FRSC

(as it happens, I left the pure chemistry field so stopped paying RSC fees anyway)

I’m not sure if other societies differentiate this to the same extent

Point is anyone who is in the relevant industry, knows what thendiff between ARaES and FRaES is. That’s what counts.

It’s a mine field with PNs.

Info reccomend the debretts website for those who have an interest and want to know the bottom line.

Most do.

1 Like

36 posts on email signatures… lockdown really taking a toll.

15 Likes

I mean, it’s hitting a lot of our usual marks: pointless directives from on high, RAFAC vs ATC, stupid tangential arguments…

5 Likes

It is hitting a lot of our usual drivel bingo squares, but the post-nominal debate is a bit much…

3 Likes

We have to keep our skills up for when we return.

3 Likes