Dogs on Squadron

Yep, maybe I missed something with this post.

Just quoting the chain of command, of course WEXO & paid staff is an option.

:thinking: not sure I would agree with that one :slight_smile:

If lower level Commanders aren’t empowered to make a simple decision like this what’s the point? Is every little question going to end up on the Commandants desk?

4 Likes

Not sure where you got the Commandant being asked from. My understanding is that sector commanders are there to help and are part of our chain of command. Of course the OC is there to handle this and I clearly missed some important information with the original post.

Actually… :thinking:… I beginning to think I shouldn’t have made any comment at all.

Why? Why does he want to bring his dog?

No-one else in the household to look after a pooch over an evening - could be 4-5 hrs or so?

3 Likes

Probably the same reason some CFAVs bring their young children.

https://forum.aircadetcentral.net/t/children-of-staff

1 Like

2 Squadrons ago I would take a my dog along to Squadron. It was a Jack Russell and as placid as you could hope.
the only nuisance was she would pull like hell if walked on a lead. off the lead was fine tottering along and so obedient you’d think she was programmed.

She was never an issue on Squadron and would happily sit in the office, and on AT walks loved having the Cadets as company. She never caused any issue or concern, nor was I ever worried but that is because of the dog.
My MILs dog I wouldn’t consider having at Squadron. She (the dog not the MIL) is far too excitable around the family and kids, the idea of her as Squadron is not worth considering as it would be a whirlwind of excitement that would be too much for the dog and Cadets, she’d never calm down and is not something i would consider.
My Brother in Law’s dog however would be fine - but she is a ploddy labrador and once had a sniff wouldn’t be an issue.

i think it really depends on the dog. if they are ok in a crowd of (potentially loud, excitable kids) and obedient, then i wouldn’t have an issue…

the former OC RIAT would bring his Collie (Merlin) to camp and was absolutely fine, he would often wear himself out playing fetch with the Cadets, given there ws 800+ on camp there was always someone to play with.
3 successor prior to that OC RIAT was former B&G WExO (although was WAdO back then) Barney Bruce who had a little terrier that came to RIAT. the dog wore a Brassard as a “coat” (short end attach to the collar, wide end around the “waist”) which had a Squadron number and rank slide sewn on.

it can be done, and done well…

(we have a cat now who is not dog friendly so have a dog free household)

2 Likes

I’ve had Muslim cadets before who couldn’t come to activities if the contingent commander brought her dogs so that’s another factor to consider

Thats a thing? :astonished:

1 Like

Depends on the sect but for some yes. It can be a real issue with guide dogs and taxis with plenty reports of drivers illegally refusing to pick people up with a service dog because of their religious beliefs.

huh, TIL

1 Like

For which they are acting illegally and can be, and rightly so, prosecuted and have their taxi licence removed. Same as shops that refuse to allow assistance dogs entering the premises.

2 Likes

Doesn’t stop them doing it. Then it’s a he said/she said

Person with assistance dog refuses carriage, amazing what gets recorded these days.

Dawn used to take her dog around, so you’ve seen that example from the very top.

1 Like

And guess what, Mrs J is working this evening, MIL is out, so pooch will be “on parade.” :wink:

1 Like

Cultural more than religious but definitely a thing

1 Like

And, despite that information being available to them, still took the dogs along?!

I don’t see a problem with that.

There are extremists who won’t let their children attend because females are present, people with their arms uncovered, because of association with the hated British state, monarchy, Armed Forces, etc. It wouldn’t be possible to cater for them all, even if we wanted to.

1 Like

One happy dog after lots of attention from cadets. :wink:

Snoozed under my desk for most of the evening.

2 Likes