Dogs on Squadron

We have a member of staff looking to bring their large dog to squadron activities and to parade nights. It has caused some discussion. Is there any policy that would cover this? We have been looking but apart from the OC doing some kind of localised RA or going to wing there does not seem to be any guidance or precedent.

Thought I’d throw this out to the hive mind for thoughts, experience both good or bad.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I know of one member of staff who always used to bring his dog on AT stuff, but that dog was crazily well trained and wasn’t any sort of distraction.

My concern would be with any staff or cadets who may be allergic to dogs or scared of them. I’ve known people weeping with fear when we’ve had police sniffer dog units visit the squadron.

If I was OC I probably wouldn’t be on board with it as it would be an unnecessary distraction and potential hazard, but I don’t know of any explicit guidance.

I’m not sure what RFCA or whoever owns your building would think of it either.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen any guidance, I’ve had staff bring dogs to AT/Expeditions in the past without issue. As long as it’s a gentle giant I’d say go with it, the Cadets tend to love it.

1 Like

No, there is no policy (at least that I’m aware of).

Personally I’d be happy for them to bring the dog along to events, and parade nights on provision that they manage the dog and remove the it from the event or squadron if the dog starts causing disruption or causes anyone to feel uncomfortable.

Frankly just taking the rational approach of having a conversation with the staff member is the simplest and best solution.

3 Likes

As with dogs in the military, it’s largely a matter of the dog.

It really spoils it when people bring excitable dogs that are a distraction, or poorly trained, or bark a lot etc.

It’s a privilege, not a right, and all dog lovers have a responsibility to protect that privilege. If that means not bringing your dog along, so be it.

4 Likes

My main worry is if a cadet got bitten. Just imagine the fall out from that.

1 Like

Until the first time the dog gets excitable or goes rogue and bites someone, then watch a world of hurt descend which happens with the best trained dogs.

This is a case in point, very sad.

Or:

1 Like

Bob, that’s exactly what my thoughts are.

“So Mr CFAV you ‘just allowed’ a dog to attend your unit with 20+ excitable teenagers. Oh I see you did a RA which isn’t worth the paper it’s written on as your not trained in the ways of dog behaviour etc. And it’s bitten one of the fore mentioned excitable teenagers.”

Do you think HQAC would be:

1. it’s fine you did a RA and followed your own made up rules so we will have your back.

2. Your on your own and also the Police and the parents lawyers want a word, just hand your keys in on your way out.

1 Like

Number 2 applies at all times, with the cry of what did you think you were doing?

2 Likes

A Malley trained to bite people is somewhat different to your average household bet.

2 Likes

And bet is exactly what it is, a gamble

1 Like

Depends on the Dog and the Cadets.

Dog Bites are pretty rare in reality, 13 Million dogs in the UK and most owners know their animals.

As a unit you can be as risk averse as you want, but considering their is no policy I would suggest that it’s clearly not been an issue before.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t have an issue with it but there would be some strict guidelines in place and if these were not followed the dog would be asked to leave.

Speaking from experience I’ve had my spaniels at various Sqn activities since they were eight weeks old. The simple fact for me is without that option I wouldn’t be able to attend as much as I do. I don’t have a support network that can step in and look after them so when Mr Emz is away, they come or I don’t go. That said, they are perfectly happy in their dog crate in the car if it’s not too warm or they stay in the office or if that isn’t an option, they are tied to the desk in the room I am teaching in and they sleep. They don’t roam the Sqn and everyone knows to ignore them unless they ask me and access to them is supervised. They are never left alone with Cadets and always on a lead.
They are both really well trained, one as a gundog and the other in scentwork and mantrailing. They go to work with Mr Emz and the same criteria applies.

We’ve had civilian and military working dogs visit Sqns and also talks by veterans with support dogs and it’s one of the Cadets favourite activities. One of mine even stood in when the police dog visiting was called out on a job, he did a cracking search display and loved the following hour of meeting everyone for fusses.

However, I’ve also seen some really badly behaved dogs on Sqns so I agree with the comment of it’s a privilege not a right. There isn’t an official HQAC policy but depending on where your Sqn is, you will need to check local rules, for example a lot of RAF Stations require your dog to be registered with Station with checks on vaccinations and insurance. I’ve never encountered a problem, follow the rules and clean up after them.

Is the issue the size of the dog or just dogs in general? A chat with the owner and establish some boundaries is all that is needed really.

5 Likes

I’ve taken mine in on the rare occasion that nobody else was at home to watch her. But she’s stayed in the office with me, or been strictly on the lead when I’ve gone for a wander, and it’s only been on nights when I’m not responsible for leading a class.

Not had a problem, everybody at the unit loves her - she’s got an honorary rank and special coat with the sqn badge on - but definitely not a regular occurrence.

2 Likes

Depends on the Dog and the Cadets.
-True, now where did I put Dr Doolittle’s phone number so he can interview the dog and we can get a list of the dogs triggers and tell the cadets how to avoid them.

Dog Bites are pretty rare in reality, 13 Million dogs in the UK and most owners know their animals.

• Rare but not zero. I dealt with countless
    Dog bite cases in the Police. I used to think what’s the fuse about until a DI said to me when having this kind of discussion “imagine we have a deranged killer out there who you can’t predict, control or reason with and one day he snaps. That’s dogs for you”. I’ve never looked at dogs the same since, and I am a dog owner.

As a unit you can be as risk averse as you want, but considering their is no policy I would suggest that it’s clearly not been an issue before.

• That’s true and we could be worrying over nothing but would you stake your RAFAC career on something that is just a pure choice and not mandatory when we have enough to be getting on with already?

Some good points there thanks

1 Like

Yet this well-trained dog went rogue and bit its own handler and an ARV crew had to shoot it.

1 Like

Until you get bitten.

That number is by the police, how many were never reported?

There’s an easy fix. Get one of those little ugly dogs which can’t open its mouth wide enough to inflict damage. Job done.

Get a cat :sweat_smile:

2 Likes