Dogs on Squadron

Far superior animals for whom you are the slave not the master.

1 Like

So 13 million dogs and 22,000 bites, whatā€™s that 0.0015 bites per dog? Iā€™d call those odds practically zero.

Well having made the decision in the past, I already have and would again.

However I would completely agree with

1 Like

Those that are serious enough to be reported to the police.

Thereā€™s no hard fast rule but itā€™s very similar to an adult member of staff bringing down their 5 year old as they donā€™t have a baby sitter

Very dependent on the individual & nature of the activity.

I did seem something out about regarding assistance/emotional support dogs which would attend on a regular basis. In true RAFAC style dogs needed to have a certificate of training, an individual risk assessment, a RAFAC behaviour assessment (which was in the process of being written) & the owner had to have appropriate insurance for any potential claim regarding the dog.

Which all kinda make sense if you bring your child to cadets youā€™re responsible for them & any claim resulting from their actions.

On more practical note, if the building safe for the dog? It should be clean & tidy anyway but chocolates or sweets about or old wooden floors with splinters or staples is not a safe environment. Staff wise some maybe allergic or have a phobia so that something the CO should take into account but itā€™s really their decision in absence of policy provided itā€™s balanced.

In my wing you would be more worried by the cadets biting each other than anything a dog or cat could do.

Interestingly humans are the third largest contributor of bites on humans after cats & dogs (I thought insects would have been first but perhaps itā€™s just mammals).

4 Likes

The SW TSA has his dog in the office and has taken it to activities.

DTE, however, may have something in local orders banning them.

1 Like

In the AT/DofE world you are likely to be sharing venues with dogs one way or the other, be it the campsite owners or another guests.

2 Likes

Iā€™d insist the dog is anchored at all times. Nothing more annoying than a dog zipping about the place and getting in the way, not responding to recall.

2 Likes

Sounds like a newly appointed adult Sgt :joy:

1 Like

Is that a Sea Cadet thing?

1 Like

And then on a lead if it needs to visit the heads.

/nearest tree trunk

I think aircraft equivalent term is ā€œpicketingā€

1 Like

I used to take my dog to sqn. She became the sqn mascot

4 Likes

Mine is Hon CWO! No coat though, need to sort thatā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Same deal, occasional visits when no-one left at home, stays on her lead in staff office, any inter-action with cadets is at their volition, strictly controlled. We have one cadet, scared of dogs, has progressed to being in the same room with the pooch, to stroking her on the head (dog being held). Cadet SNCOs are allowed to walk her (the dog, not the scared cadet! :wink: ) outside Sqn premises for a pee (the dog not the SNCOs).

7 Likes

Are you on the same campsite as me right now? Watching my sister in lawā€™s dog?

Weā€™ve all been thereā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As a cadet i think all of us love it when people bring pets and its neverusually a major distraction.
Used to have a staff member when i first joined who brought their dog down for a few parade nights but by no means was it bad.
There is nithing to my knowledge that says anything against it.
But if you can try to minimalise it because some people may be allergic or scared of them.
As long as your dog is well trained i domt see a major problem

1 Like

At the very least contact your sector commander to find out. Without air cover that individual is taking a huge risk. Personally I would not entertain the idea.

1 Like

Surely thatā€™s for the OC to do for advise?

Particularly if itā€™s still being looked into it maybe that the OC is looking to decline but just needs a delicate of doing so.

Besides Sector officers are volunteers as well so wonā€™t have much more knowledge than the CO.

If you need an official line then WEXO & paid staff would be the best place with knowledge. If a TSA is taking their dog in then itā€™s probably alright but with caveats.

I know of a Wing Commander who has recently left post, that used to allow his dog to roam free around WHQ. Although it was popular with the cadets, It wasnā€™t particularly well trained, and used to leave little presents all over the placeā€¦ :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Cats are more vicious than dogs, i got the scars lol.

1 Like