Coronavirus: what happens next!

I wake up with the sniffles most mornings so a lot of time off work for me!!

Being a hypochondriac is, it would seem, a reasonable survival instinct…

2 Likes

I’ve been sat in a coffee shop this morning, waiting for a train, and two locals behind me were saying that nobody knows where the virus came from and that it is a Chinese biological warfare weapon.

Agreed that bulk buying is just stupid, it puts others at risk for some selfishness. It isn’t like zombies are coming. Most people will have a sniffle and then get better. Someone on radio 4, yesterday, was explaining how he had three days of flu type symptoms and then got better - no medication. Doesn’t it just takes the body time to respond to a new virus when it has the base map for other, similar, strains?

This is the public today!!!

Insert exasperated emoji here

Addendum:

There is scientific evidence, somewhere, that shows people will believe they have a condition of they are told about it. Psychology plays a large part in people’s responses.

Have a look at Student Doctor Syndrome. Student doctors are told about symptoms for an illness and a majority then believe they have it. When they are told about the syndrome itself, they then believe that have student doctor syndrome as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=student+doctor+syndrome&oq=student+doctor+syndrome&aqs=chrome..69i57.2935j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Keep calm and carry on.

I spent all day, 8 hours, on Saturday training and talking. I had a sore throat at the end and felt tired. Do I have Coronavirus now?

:roll_eyes

It’s not difficult. All they’re trying to do is avoiding spreading the disease to vulnerable people.

You might just experience a heavy cold but it could kill someone with a weak immune system.

On hols this week get a work phone call this morning can I work from home Monday and they are testing if the network can handle mass remote working…at least they are planning for it I guess!

I suppose if you put your conspiracy theorist hat on you could make that assumption - The fact it doesn’t seem to affect the youth might suggest it was created to remove some of the older population.

I cannot. Alongside pasta and loo roll, people have panic bought all the tin foil.

8 Likes

Early doors I heard talk of Chinese population control… Well, I’ve got a feeling that the Chinese have far more effective and efficient means than this…

Have any ATC squadrons actually shut shop because of this virus?

I’m sure I scrolled past a squadron post on Twitter yesterday about standing down the unit. Didnt fully read it but I think it was because a case was linked to one of their local schools.

I’ll try to see if i can find it again…

Edit:

Found the post…it was 1855 and due to a local school closing because of confirmed cases

Virus still going strong since then? :rofl:

3 Likes

Crimea really took its toll on it. Hasn’t been the same since.

1 Like

As someone who is self employed, and works in public buildings in a public facing role, I would appreciate a bit of a heads up on what the plan for the next stage is, otherwise I might be in a spot of bother.

Even if you do stand down for a couple of weeks, what’s to stop the virus running through the squadron as soon as you start to parade again ? It’s not like it will magically disappear overnight just because people aren’t going out.

No, but mitigation of the risk would be sensible in such circumstances.

1 Like

I would hope any “pause” in parading would last long enough that the risk of catching the virus was so low public gatherings would be permitted again.

it is the reason the Government are not jumping the gun…call a halt (like Italy have) too soon and it isn’t a couple of weeks but many weeks in isolation which causes even more untold disruption.

so although i agree it won’t disappear “overnight” - the time time closed needs to = time to disappear, else it is pretty pointless

The government shutting things down temporarily is not designed to make it disappear. Its to slow down the spread enough so that the likes of the NHS can cope. They would rather everyone got it over a longer period say two months rather than two weeks.

People in Italy are dying simply because the healthcare system is way above capacity and the medics cannot cope with the influx of patients. The UK needs to slow down the spread otherwise we are going to be in exactly the same situation in around a fortnight.

I’m traumatized by this word in the context of this organisation… It might end up as a “pause” of many years.

2 Likes

Again, i restate what I said at the threads beginning.

Any ‘pause’ or closure of more than 4 weeks, would I inevitably, lead to many Sqns simply never reopening.

Staff would quickly get used to not having to sacrifice their lives for the org.
Cadets would find alternatives.

The longer the pause, the more we lose.
Maybe up to a quarter of all Sqns if it were for 3 months?