Coronation of King Charles III

They can propose what they like.

I like the majority of the Country in reality will be taking the long weekend for fun and family.

These people are out of touch. They forget that we are volunteers and the cadets have parents who on the whole dictate their wekends.

2 Likes

I know of Squadrons who did this in recognition of the Jubilee.

I can see the appeal, it is simply and straightforward - does it need a full church service though?
The examples above was a glorified final parade with elements from the Sqn Padres saying a bit.

Church service is not a valid way to recognise a milestone or moment in history for a youth organisation.

4 Likes

Even though we have an official state religion, in which the King will be crowned?

Inclusivity is not the same as deleting our history.

2 Likes

Charles himself said he wanted to be a monarch to all religions, not just Christianity.

Having a children’s youth organisation re-affirm their oath not in a church doesn’t erase history. Do you expect all Cadets to be Christians?

3 Likes

i am not suggesting deleting history.

i am suggesting incorporate the “ceremony” into a parade night.

this has many bonuses
1 - it ticks the box that the Squadron recognised the occasion
2 - it doesn’t require an SMS approval
3 - it gets the Padre down on unit
4 - it doesn’t require any additional commitment from staff or cadet for another event held on the weekend
5 - it can be done in a setting which does not put the Cadets off - at the unit with Padre and OC at the front and centre
6 - it is likely to be well attended given it is incorporated into the Squadron twice weekly program. picking the parade night closest to/following the coronation is appropriate and is likely to have a high % turn out rather than expecting the unit to attend on the weekend (likely a Sunday) for a 1 hour church service to spend 3 minutes reciting their oath

I think the KISS principle says it all.

2 Likes

We did this as on the first parade night after the queens passing. It acknowledged the change in a simple & local way.

2 Likes

He did, but he nevertheless did not change any of his titles and styles in the Proclamation, including ‘Defender of the Faith’, despite media speculation over many years that he would do so, and he has confirmed that he will be crowned by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Westminster Abbey, rather than, say, a secular ceremony in Westminster Hall. He’s still head of the Church of England.

And no, of course I don’t expect all cadets to be Christians, but England is, for better or worse, a Christian country (in a way that, say, France is not, even though church attendance is, I believe, higher there).

There’s a case for disestablishment, of course. The Church in Wales has no official established position, for example.

1 Like

Unless you are a Squadron that holds regular church parades (which in my experience seems to be more those based out in the sticks) it’s highly unlikely that you’re going to put one to whether on the weekend of the coronation. Especially not at 2 months notice.

From a Volunteer point of view we have a disproportionate number of our volunteers from the emergency services and good luck to any of them getting the weekend off for the Coronation. It’s actually one of those occasions where you have more chance of staffing centralised Sector or Wing events than you do Squadron ones.

3 Likes

Another 200 young people from the Scout Association, Girlguiding UK, St John Ambulance and the National Citizen Service will attend, having been nominated by the UK government for their contribution to coronation day. The four organisations will provide stewarding, route lining and first aid services across London.

so scouting and guiding, sja and ncs at the forefront of another royal event and recognition by allowing attendance at the coronation ceremony itself. cadet forces did nothing to support HM QEII’s funeral and here we are again with the coronation. what is going on?

2 Likes

I want to believe it’s simple ignorance rather than malice.

I knew of scouts etc before I became a cadet. I didn’t even know cadets were a thing until I stumbled on them at an airshow.
Perhaps that’s what’s happened with the planning? The organisers just lump them in with the parent service rather than their own entity?

i find it very hard to believe that the organisers of the coronation - the state - don’t know about the youth organisations which they sponsor and in the case of rafac which the king’s daughter in law is patron of

imho we’re being deliberately sidelined at these state events perhaps because someone in the hierarchy doesn’t want to promote the cadet forces

Fixed that quote.

I don’t disagree, but people in government are stupid.

1 Like

Mrs Angus, a teacher, tells me that there’s almost certainly to be a teacher strike on Tues 7th (?) May - so it’s coronation on Saturday, bank holiday on Monday, then schools closed on the Tuesday.

There will, I think, be a great number of people deciding to make a long weekend of it. To my mind, anyone planning a celebration event that weekend is likely to be disappointed with the turnout…

1 Like

Ill be spending my life savings at centre parcs during the coronation…might even watch it from the hot tub!

3 Likes

There will be 100 community cadets at the Coronation partway along the route, location escapes me.

30 of these will be air cadets.

1 of them is mine. :grin::grin:

They were offered the place due to being Wing Dacre Nominee, that was the edict from RHQ.

4 Likes

Likewise, one of my cadets will be there.

2 Likes

Now that would be a great idea across RAFAC, but then again it would mean someone thing it out :roll_eyes:

ace to hear that there will be some involvement at least.

would you mind sharing which region? i hope somewhere other than laser have a look in

An interesting situation could potentially develop here. There have been several suggestions that any Coronation Medal might be restricted to those on parade, route lining etc on the actual day; so those cadets fortunate enough to be on such duties could be eligible.

I can see lots of CFAVs not being happy if that were to come about!

3 Likes

Sod 'em. If the kids earn it for being on parade then good for them.

12 Likes