Coronation of King Charles III

Go down the US route and give everyone a medal for completing Phase 1 Training etc :joy:

1 Like

Certainly that’s something people at work have said. If you only give it to those on the Ceremonial part of the aid as they did last time, what about those who book on at 0400 for the crowd security part? What about those who are extended to 12 hours to cover the core functions while everyone else is up town? Are they less deserving that those few hundred in tunics?

3 Likes

This is Britain…
Obviously we are all lesser than the men in tunics!
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

And of course there’s coronation events around the UK….

Somewhere other than London? Mattering?!!

To quote myself when commenting in a CFM thread

A medal is recognition of a commitment to a cause…somehow committing not to attend doesn’t seem worthy of recognition

1 Like

I keep hearing various rumours - another was 10 years served rather than the 5 to help save costs…

2 Likes

That would pretty annoying not just for me but loads of volunteers if it is 10 years qualifying service. Seeing as I just missed out on the platinum jubilee, even though I did 4 years in uniform and 2 years as a CI, I wasn’t eligible. If they did the king’s coronation as 5 years then some of us will atleast be eligible.

I and others have missed on being recognised out on one huge national event, it would be pretty demoralising if it were to happen on another big national event. Its not that it matters, because it really doesn’t, but I would like to atleast say in 50 years to potential children, that my service to a uniformed youth organisation was recognised and I’ve lived through two major events! Maybe even three, who knows :eyes:

One of my friends has been reliably informed by his barber’s cousin’s nextdoor neighbour that the coronation medal will only be awarded to those in Welsh and Cornish units to celebrate his time as Prince of Wales & Duke of Cornwall. But of course even if true it won’t stop everyone behaving like Muttley and demanding they get a chest full of tin.

1 Like

All of these Muttley jokes have to be the 50 year old reference I’ve seen made most commonly lately - and I’m a Doctor Who fan!

2 Likes

I’m surprised more CFAVs don’t use “Catch the pigeon” as part of their airframes lessons. Sorry topic drift doh!

1 Like

So just had an idea that might be cheaper & work.

All those involved in the coronation ceremony, royal household and all those with five year eligible service on the date of coronation but who didn’t get the QPJM - all get the coronation medal.

All those who got the QPJM & would have five years eligible service on the date of coronation get a bar to their QPJM in the form of a tutor crown affixed to the medal ribbon.

Got to be cheaper, still does the recognition & but keeps the rarity down. Might suggest this to MPto take forward.

1 Like

There is precedent to an extent with the Victoria golden and diamond jubilee medals. If you got the former then you got a clasp instead of the latter.
Slight difference here though in that it’s different monarchs.

I think that would be a good option to save costs… I have replicas mounted and originals safely tucked away

1 Like

Slight… difference…

Erm… mainly the whole thing.

2 Likes

To quote WLSC:

“The object of presenting medals, stars, and ribbons is to give pride and pleasure to those who have deserved them. At the same time a distinction is something which everybody does not possess. If all have it it is of less value … A medal glitters, but it also casts a shadow”

6 Likes

So looks like it is confirmee only those directly involved that will get a medal :+1:

Can’t find that tweet on their timeline.

Yep. Fake news. Clue is in the poor grammar (and the fact you can easily search it on their twitter account).

2 Likes

This is clearly nonsense but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be true, apart from the MPs bit. MPs get enough perks as it is.

2 Likes