Coronation of King Charles III

Same here. The UK will no doubt be on hold again, and various activities and many other things will be cancelled after weeks or months of planning.

1 Like

It may be a chocolate medsl to you but to many people it means alot. It means alot to me to have been awarded a medal in recognition of my services to the crown. I am a paramedic with twenty years public service. I too also run towards danger when civvies run away. If the jubilee/ coronation medals are meaningless, then why do regular service personnel of all branches choose to have them mounted alongside thier campaign medals? Its a rewards for services rendered.

12 Likes

Well said.

5 Likes

Ok, perhaps chocolate is a step too far, and for a lot of people in areas where a service is given and the awarding of such a thing is automatic, there is greater meaning.

But, for this thread to so quickly devolve to “will I get something out of it?” when it should be about a- the celebration of the monarch, and b- what the RAFAC can or should do to help with a- (especially when it comes hot off the heels of people emailing questions to HQ in the immediate aftermath of HM The Queen’s death asking about medals) is nothing more than bad taste.

When you’re in an organisation like the air cadets, anything shiny that we get is a bonus and should be treated as something nice, but not needed. To come out brazenly and say “where’s my shiny?” smacks of nothing more than a selfish attitude that, in my humble ex-regular opinion, is unbecoming of anyone in uniform.

1 Like

I really dislike when people say this or similar.

1. I wear the uniform of our parent service with pride.
  2. I am NOT in the regulars or reserves. BUT the work we do IS valuable AND asked for by the SERVICE and CROWN.
  3. I am NOT a Walt.
  4. But take pride in a job well done.

It is not cosplay. We wear identifying insignia marking us as uniformed CFAVs.
Cosplay would be to remove those insignia and walt around.

5 Likes

All I’m saying is, time and a place. This thread should not be about medals. It makes everyone look far pettier than we all hope we actually are.

Can we ask about the Bank Holiday instead then?

1 Like

You mean the one that’s going to interfere with the local elections counting day? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Surely the PM is considering whether this would be an acceptable reason to cancel the elections

1 Like

You’re expecting them to last that long …?

3 Likes

Or push it back a week after the big feel good weekend of the Coronation? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Depends, how long does a lettuce last?

4 Likes

More details on the king’s coronation announced . This bit sounds promising:

The Big Help Out

The Big Help Out will be held on Monday, 8th May 2023 and is being organised by The Together Coalition and a wide range of partners such as The Scouts, the Royal Voluntary Service and faith groups from across the United Kingdom. The Big Help Out will highlight the positive impact volunteering has on communities across the nation.

In tribute to His Majesty The King’s public service, The Big Help Out will encourage people to try volunteering for themselves and join the work being undertaken to support their local areas. The aim of The Big Help Out is to use volunteering to bring communities together and create a lasting volunteering legacy from the Coronation Weekend.

Let’s hope that the example of Scouts is just that and this will be chance to showcase CFAVs

1 Like

I highly doubt we’ll be involved other than one or two chosen ones

That’s in The Sun, not the most iron clad source, but I’d imagine there’s no smoke without fire.

1 Like

Doesnt sound like a done deal yet.

Maybe a trial balloon to see if it causes uproar or the public says “good there is a cost of living crisis”.

Or the Sun making stuff up based on reading Arrse lol

4 Likes

Money on the latter.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this were true. Distribution was limited for the 1953 Coronation and in the current financial situation, can HM Gov be seen to spend on 400,000 medals when they can get away with 5000.