Climatic Injuries Training - Pause and Reassess Order July 2022

If you mean…
“The hottest its ever been in the UK. A country not set up for temps above 40c…”

Then yes i agree.
Else. Nope.

8 Likes

A decade? I think you’re older than you realise, try more than two.

6 Likes

Interesting. There’s also a surface area factor - smaller bodies are less able to dissipate heat. Experience, physiology, and brain development are the other key ones as mentioned.

1 Like

This is the kind of stuff my dad comes out with. Suggesting when he was younger they had very hot/hotter days and they dealt with it fine. I’m having to remind him he literally didn’t have hotter days as we broke the record, and have broken it many times since he was young.

The heat we just had was record breaking in many ways, and it will continue to get worse.

2 Likes

Because this is nothing new yet so many in the organisation never new - whenever I’ve mentioned it most ask “why are they more at risk?”.

Ahhh the summer of '76 with its 20% excess deaths that everyone lived through, we’ve had drier years and hotter years since, but that’s the one they turn to. It’s nothing but an extension of generational divisionism.

1 Like

10 Likes

Raised Participation Age which made it a requirement for 16-18s to remain effectively in education came into law in around 2012/13(?). I remember a mate who worked with kids who getting and keeping them into school ordinarily was a struggle, so 16-18 was going to be ‘interesting’ as FE colleges in her words don’t take the crap schools do. Her and her colleagues viewed it with derision.
If it had been 2 decades our youngest who loathed school would have been more of a handful than she was. As it was she got a job when she left school and never looked back.
The almost mandatory going to uni came in with Bliar in 98ish, which may have made it seem like 16-18 continuing in education was mandatory.

I left school at 15 less than a decade ago, got myself an apprenticeship and have worked since, 16 year olds can’t be THAT different now

Ignoring the civvie teams, what’s the difference between regulars who may be 16 and cadets who may be 16 other than the organisation they fall under? The regulars got to march, yet RAFAC didnt

I imagine in '76 there were warnings but as teenagers we just went out and enjoyed ourselves. I do remember there being queues at the swimming pool, it being packed and a time limit imposed. Mum and dad didn’t tell us to not go out and at that time buying water in bottles would have been a mad idea and we didn’t carry bottles everywhere, you got thirsty and drank when you could or bought Jubblies, But then again there were a lot more public water sources.

Just because it wasn’t mandatory, doesn’t mean the majority weren’t staying in college or sixth form. I was 16 in 2006, most people my age were not starting apprenticeships.

1 Like

Also under the ‘new’ rules you don’t have to stay in school. Your allowed to get a full time job/apprenticeship instead. So it’s not stopping that. It just stops people leaving school at 16 and then doing nothing.

2 Likes

You’re right there. Just because something isn’t mandatory it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Times change.

When I was 15/16 quite a few people from my school were going into apprenticeships, but it was in the middle of a famously rough council estate in a part of the country known for being a dump. Most people from school came from less fortunate backgrounds, so their apprenticeship was the first money they really saw and that attracted them

I know because our eldest 2 went to 6th Form and the technical college, w
But there is a difference when you can make a choice to being told you have to. I have seen too many cadets scrabbling around looking for something to do after their GCSEs.
But did you at 16 feel you were unable to cope with say adverse weather conditions, without someone clucking, which is what has happened this year? At 16 even in your day, you were effectively adults and getting on with making decisions for yourself. Even in the ATC. Now it seems 16-18s are treated like small children.

You’re conflating two issues here.

I did march in hotter weather than was canned this year, I did day one in 2006. The decision to cancel day two this year was stupid, because it was far cooler in the Netherlands than it was here.

Would I have paid attention if the temperatures in 2006 hit 40°C+ in the UK? Yes. Because 40°C here is broken.

3 Likes

In order to get a job you must have an employer willing to send you to college for 2 years and on top of that the employer should have people with DBS because you are considered a minor. I have had cadets try and get apprenticeships and the stumbling block has been the employer. We have local colleges that run “apprenticeship” courses, but the kids have to find the employer. We have kids in our 6th Form effectively marking time, doing A Levels they aren’t really interested in because of this. The school should run a shed load of BTECs but due to A Level academic snobbery the head won’t unless it’s PE.

As hard as it is for certain members to stick to one topic and not be an absolute hot mess of “it was better when I was a child”, can we stick to climatic injuries please.

3 Likes

Their general fitness and training.

16 year old regulars are taking a fitness test and (given their stage in training) massively exceeding it.

16 year old cadets are not.

2 Likes

You make a good point, the general fitness of regulars will almost certainly be higher than that of the cadet ls and it makes a difference. But when the cadets have gone out, in my wings case, two days a month for the last 10 months, in the end covering the same distance in similar heat, to me that difference has largely been removed🤔

This is something that would be on your RA as a Control Measure that makes the risk ALARP

1 Like