Climatic Injuries Training - Pause and Reassess Order July 2022

JSP 375 Preventing Heat Illness training is available on Defence Gateway within the DLE here - Heat Illness Prevention Training

This includes the individual training (Module 1), not currently on Ultilearn, and the commanders training (Module 2), that is on Ultilearn.

Much better course compared to what we had previously, looks like this was implemented MOD wide (except RAFAC) in Dec 20/Jan 21 and revised in Jan 22.

Can we all get a Defence Gateway Account?

Yes, using our new service numbers, this is also how we access our VA slips.

1 Like

I told ATF who were in charge of Climatic Injuries about this when the original version came out.

Was told to wind my neck in and we would be staying with the old stuff as the new one wasn’t appropriate.

A lot of issues in our org are self inflicted due to perm staff arrogance.

10 Likes

The new risk assessment isn’t particularly well written either, it’s all just on the one serial and is so badly laid out.

I just had a bit of a play with that DLE training. Looks really well made. What we really need though is cadet specific training. That training package specifically mentions things are different for younger people as their bodies can’t yet control heat as well as an adult.

This also goes back to the fact that most of the proper MOD policy is written around having access to a WBGT thing, and the guides based on that are for adults. So not only does our training need to be more aimed at children, but the guidelines issued need to be something we can actually use!

And until we have this in place, we can’t say that we’ve reduced risks ALARP, as our guides our aimed at adults, using methods we can’t use.

What do Schools and Youth Organisations who aren’t tied to the MOD use?

2 Likes

Schools wise, get NGB (if so inclined) - or buy one in. Make informed decision based on MWIS/Windy, group, their own judgement and experience of route, terrain, other factors. Have discussion with group, then, largely, crack on.

Sorry, any outbreaks of common sense or personal decision making must be reported immediately.

We can’t have staff thinking for themselves now, far to dangerous.

12 Likes

Just playing catchup. now been well since i returned from the not so long walk in the Netherlands. I an going to answer some general points but nothing too contentious. I will be writing a PXR for my wing and I will be posting it on SMS.

The atmosphere after the news was bad .emotions were running high. The cadets had put a huge amount of work into preparing for the march were gutted. the was anger, there were tears, lots of tears.
Is this the end of Nijmegen for the RAFAC? Can’t say at the moment. CPR is being done on the patent and an AED is being used but does HQAC has the will to make it work is the question. They Hold the risk. there many mitigations in place to manage that risk. The question is what is the risk appetite at HQAC and do the trust the SMEs and CFAVs.

The is also the entry fee of £95 for taking part and gaining the award for completing the event.

They received

the same brief as on one on Heumensoord by a CFAV.

Thought the staff to cadet ratio for the RAFAC was 10 cadets to 1 staff member.

All in the RAFAC now need to do this training if you are organising an event where it is likely to be warm to hot.

It was supposed to be implemented in the RAFAC but nobody told the volunteer

Yes

Normal for Sleaford tech. I was Told by Reservist on British Military Contingent on the Tuesday 4 day before be left that we had to complete the training on JSP 375 before we deployed on Friday. If Trg not completed no march. Also no way to upload on SMS

problem is it doesn’t say by how much at 16 to 18. Anyway about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cadets were Staff cadets. Also states it applies to phase 1 trainees of any age. I believe this include UAS who were allowed to march. Can anyone answer this?

Perhaps it has reduced from 12 to 10. Its been a number of years since I’ve been. But the point still stands flight ICs are responsible for their flight of Cadets be that 10, 12 or other reasonable number for a CFAV to cope with

Flights at RIAT are 10-12 cadets.
There are either 2 staff, or 1 staff and 1 staff cadet, so ratios are (at worst) 1:6.

1 Like

Are the cadets doing Nijmegen really ‘younger people’? I would have thought younger people would be 0 to Yr6. What are the age groupings?

Not sure what the exact groupings are, but this is one of the parts mentioned in the training:

They have to be over 16 to march.

1 Like

Only if marching as part of a Military team ie in uniform if the team went as a Civvie team I don’t believe their is a minimum age requirement

1 Like

I always forget civvy teams exist, my bad.

1 Like

Unless they slap a DNAR (Do not attempt resuscitation) notice on it?

1 Like

Who knows?
But i wouldnt shed a tear.

Just as there are those in the org who almost actively pursue gutting shooting and FT from the syllabus and wouldnt shed a tear if my areas dissapered.

All very sad really.

But thems the breaks.

Go back just over a decade and 16 year olds were starting work and getting on with life and many doing the heavy stuff. We used to have cadets starting all manner of apprenticeships and other jobs, including joining up.
Has something happened to 16 year olds since they have been required to stay at school, that means they aren’t as able to cope?

I think that this year’s freak weather and the language and rhetoric used in the media created an unhealthy hysteria. It was almost telling us it’s a bit warmer than usual and we (all of us) won’t be able to handle it.

1 Like