CFM For CIs: why not?

I don’t know why you are so obsessed with trying to prove to us all how much more important you are…
The world is full of mysteries.

2 Likes

So was the Silver Jubillee what things were like doesn’t really matter.

The more recent 2 haven’t been restricted to just the military all of the emergency services got them too and now that step has been taken I don’t see things changing. As pointed out even under the old commissioning system the SNCO’s and the Sea Cadets Officers also got the award despite not holding queens commissions.

Have you even read the AUP?

That third paragraph is just trolling. Knock it off.

That is a shame.

I was a CI for a little under a year. I aged out and only 3 months later moved do to employment reasons out of the Region. My new Wing appointed me into uniform and ten years later claimed my CFM, as my time as CI was less than three years I effectively was marking time and the clock was ticking again once appointed.

As such disagree you can blame Wing for losing 2 years, the 5 years as CI was a bigger factor

I timed out as a Cdt FS and my CI role started straight away. However, I heard that my two years as a Cdt FS don’t count because I was not a CWO.

I went into uniform in April this year, so does that mean I can count the 4 years as a CI or the 2 years as a Cdt fs and 4 as a CI, or none at all?

@Valiant

I believe that to be incorrect. JSP 814 Para 7.6.9.b. (in Key Documents on SharePoint) makes no mention of needing to be any rank

Service after the age of eighteen as a cadet in any of the CF listed in paragraph 6, up to a maximum of four years’ service.

Where you are likely to struggle is if you have been a CI for longer than 3 years, as under the Continuity of Service requirements in Para 7.6.11 you will be considered to have had a break in service, thus your 2 years as an over 18 cadet will no longer be eligible for inclusion.

We should maybe look to not see time as a CI as a break in service as you continue to be a CFAV and remain involved in the organisation.

I have we’ll be in the 2030s before I’m eligible for CFM, but it only shows my experience when in 1s, something I try to avoid, I’d rather my experience shows through delivery and knowledge than something shiny.

2 Likes

EDITED for clarification

It used to be that any service as a CI was considered to be a break but the regulations were updated to permit up to 3 years of CI service not counting as a break. That was a step in the right direction but I too think that should be extended.

1 Like

No, not really. You are technically a CA (NUV now) before you become a PI, however there are a stream of volunteers who do not become a PI and just remain as a CA. CAs are a bit more limited in what they can do and are more of a supporting role, but if you have expertise in a subject you can teach it.

As above, you can teach some subjects, but there are also things you can’t teach. Teaching drill and turnout is a bit difficult when you are always in civies, and fieldcraft always really requires uniform. If you want to teach subjects like that, why not actually go and become an adult instructor?

Isn’t it time you trolled somewhere else? I hate to break it to you, but you aren’t “above” us. I’m not even sure why you are taking the time to visit this forum. We talk about uniform as we are members of uniformed organisations. It would be a bit silly having ACF, ATC and SCC cadets do everything in civies, wouldn’t it? The gongs may not be important as ones given to those who put their lives on the line, but it is nice to see some actual recognition for the hours and hours we put in, even if it just going to sit in the desk drawer. Most of us don’t get much recogition for what we do. We don’t do it for the recognition, but it is nice to have! As for badges, cadets seem to like them and it shows achievement. The Army, RAF and RN award badges so why can’t we?

Really? When did that happen?

I need to check this then, as I did post 18 cadet service, became a CI immediately, and then subsequently went into uniform, so constantly in the organisation, just all depends on the status of the CI service.

That’s a joke.
So a sprog who goes 2 years as over 18, 2 years CI then uniform gets their CFM at age 30.

Whilst myself who did 2 years post 18, 5 years as a CI then uniform will have to wait until age 37… yet having given 5 additional years to the org by then.

All time up to 10 years as a CI should count towards the CFM as far as I’m concerned.
Therefore yes, if a cadet does 2 years post 18 and then 10 as a CI they should get the CFM.

Also recognises those of us who for whatever reason couldnt go straight into uniform post 20… uni, work, training etc etc.

I certainly did more than 2 years as CI, I will be similar age to you when I get my CFM, assuming rules dont change again or I have left by then lol!

Interestingly there is a certain wexos daughter who was waved through their commission at 20, then back to uni and hasn’t attended anything since. Now 22.
Not NEP, just sat on the books of a local Sqn accruing time served. Albeit as an APO, as I don’t believe they have even attended OIC.

Total joke.

About 2011 I think.

Just to be clear - we can’t count CI service towards the medal - but up to 3 years of CI service doesn’t constitute a break - meaning that any reckonable service before CI can be counted.

All the regulations pertaining to the CFM are in JSP 814.
The key to “continuity of service” is as follows with Para g referring to CI service:

Nothing wrong with that :wink:

Hmmmm.
There is.
Total time served should count.

I was being sarcastic…it should be balanced better

1 Like

I know.
Just hacks me off!

I think it’s 32. The two years as a CI doesn’t count towards the 12. I made the same mistake earlier, I’m one of those sprogs.