Celebrating Success / Feel Good Stories from the RAFAC

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/news/gliding-continues-upwards-at-raf-little-rissington/

Some more good news!

2 Likes

It’s a positive spin on the merge of two VGS to reform one VGS

The negative is that 637 and 621 have flown their last cadets.

Yes, congratulations to them for ending their 10 year ‘pause’!

Why am I suspicious that the last two VGS my Sqn has has been ‘assigned’ to have ended up closing?

https://www.facebook.com/2529burgesshillatc/posts/pfbid02A3de3WF9tBNjUfysSAxpFZsW3YkS65oDgJNVzi2KEN93mJy1boawcpGA8fBkDLkMl

1 Like

Seems like a great opportunity for the cadets and staff who were involved.

Proving that blockers from HQAC, no overseas activities, doesn’t stop overseas activities if you know how to do things :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Seems like RAFAC socials ran with that story… saw this on one of them a couple of days ago and have been meaning to say.

More cadets flying is always welcome!

1 Like
7 Likes

Saw that :joy: puts the SIM I’m building to shame!

2 Likes

That’s proper old school, having a physical instrument panel with actual analogue instruments. I’m sure those cadets feel extremely well prepared when they get into a Tutor cockpit for the first time. Love it!

It’s more clever than that I think. It’s two screens with a cover over, and the instruments line up with holes to make it look super realistic. A lot simpler to set up and it works really well.

It’s a seriously good sim set up. I’m very jealous!

1 Like

There’s a few places that sell custom instrument panel cut outs online though it should be easy enough to do with a cnc machine or 3D printer. I did look into it but small LCD screens were too expensive to make it worth doing.

3 Likes

:star2:Unbelievable SIXTH clasp for Air Cadet volunteer​:star2:

We were delighted the other night to be able to present a sixth clasp to WO Tom Farrimond’s Cadet Forces Medal, representing an incredible 51 years in uniform in the Royal Air Force Air Cadets!

Originally joining Blaydon Air Cadets in 1962 as a cadet, he was appointed as a Warrant Officer in May 1973 following a short period as a Civilian Instructor. During his time in the Squadron he has worked with 1000s of cadets both at the unit and across the Wing. In 1995 he was appointed as the first Wing Warrant Officer for Durham/Northumberland Wing - a role that his daughter, Warrant Officer Victoria Farrimond holds today - and to cause further confusion his son, Warrant Officer Alan Farrimond is the Wing Deputy Adventure Training Officer!

Over the years, Warrant Officer Tom Farrimond has been a constant presence at Blaydon Squadron, even at one time assuming command. The commendations he has received reflect his dedication to duty and his service to others.

Thank you, WO, for your outstanding and dedicated service, and here’s to many more years ahead!

North Region - Royal Air Force Air Cadets Regional Commandant North - Air Cadets Commandant Air Cadets North of England RFCA

5 Likes