Carol Vorderman - Group Captain (Retired)

Who should replace though?

I would imagine the honorary roles have a certain period of tenure? Otherwise we would run the risk of having someone sat their for many years to come…

Does this mean Vorders will get the coronation medal? :smile:

Depends has she completed the qualifying years?

Blockquote

Joined in 2014 so theoretically could, would depend on her status in terms of being uniformed staff I suppose.

I was thinking more on the lines of the minimum of 15 duty days to qualify…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No. She won’t qualify. Her role is honorary and does not count. Her authority to wear the uniform is ceremonial and she does not hold a commission.

She definitely holds a grudge though!

1 Like

The ACO faces a fundamental problem with the idea of ambassadors - it wants people with a high recognition factor, with reach, with credibility, and people who care passionately about opportunities for kids and young adults.

Well, that’s great, but people who have reach, and credibility, and who care passionately about the society we live in and the way it treats kids, are not people who have beige twitter accounts.

You can find plenty of folk who won’t cause offence - like Chris Hoy - but they won’t give a crap either…

6 Likes

Someone like Tim Peake could have been fantastic. But he’s already been taken by the Scouts I believe

3 Likes

Always 3 steps ahead.

Run and managed by volunteer minded people, not civil servants or job protecting FTRS.

10 Likes

If he went to a Cadet Force the ACF would’ve beaten us to him anyway.

1 Like

I would love to see someone like Paul Bonhomme take up the mantle, but I’m not sure many young people would know who he is anymore.

At least it’d be aviation-linked.

1 Like

#Justsaying

And Jordan is MASSIVELY engaged in ACF promotion. He seems to be doing something to promote them every week - even on expeds, he’s dragging a ACF flag/banner/gizzit with him. I think Big Phil Campion was also an ACF ambassador - and is certainly still promoting them heavily - irrespective of whether it’s formalised or not!

2 Likes

I think we fundamentally don’t know what we want an ambassador for.

Is it to appeal to young kids to join?
Is it to appeal to industry to give us freebies and access?
Is it to appeal to parents to let them push kids towards us?

When we try a one size fits all approach, we find it fits nothing.

7 Likes

Tom Scott anyone?

11 Likes

Oh my YES!

2 Likes

What about Simon Whistler?

1 Like

Yes please. But at the same time we would be cementing ourselves as the geeky cadets.

2 Likes

Whilst we would I would have thought that he would also be a bit old.

If we want a YouTuber ambassador I would think someone like Dr Becky Smethurst would be more suitable, especially with our push on Space.

1 Like

Maybe as ambassadors both of these two ladies, been there and done it.

5 Likes

Problem is he’s really big in the nerd/science/cool fact part of youtube but not that big outside. He’s also planning to majorly step down his content load in less than a year and I’m not sure he would want to take on a new role like that.

Dr Becky is a good shout but once again,
What is the point here of the ambassador. To get us a better addition to the Space Syllabus or Cyber syllabus (anyone else remember Computerphile) and appeal to the nerdy cadets perfect. To get parents to get their kids to join not exactly as they are unlikley to be known and even more questions of when these links should be made.

1 Like