Carol Vorderman - Group Captain (Retired)

As above what are peoples thoughts and would she have a full commission as its a honorary post???

A commission is a commission.

Who decided to start handing out Groupie’s rank to random civvies, anyway?

1 Like

Great idea in my personal opinion. She will be a credit to us.

[quote=“tango_lima” post=22039]A commission is a commission.

Who decided to start handing out Groupie’s rank to random civvies, anyway?[/quote]

To echo what I said when Chris Hoy was made a Groupie.

What’s the issue? So what she knows next to nothing about the cadets or how they think, or the staff and what they want. In those circumstances she’s clearly overqualified to be a Group Captain in the ACO…

1 Like

I’m just curious if she has been gazetted and has the same scroll as normal VRT’s or not ???

Just being nosy as if she hasnt/wont be due to it being an honorary appointment then would she be saluted ?

Doesn’t bother me either way just wanted peoples thoughts.

Update, Sir Chris Hoy wasnt gazetted as I just searched the archive so does that mean the rank is just for show ?

Photos ive just seen she definately wearing VRT pins…so shud be a ATC Scroll

Mind you what real benefit is she going to be…Not seen or heard much from Chris Hoy sincehe was given a honary commission I think he been to two events…

Why Not Grp Capt Richard Branson at least he has involvement with flying and could use his contactsand money to our advantage… Or Grp Capy Alan Sugar… he could set some real cool leadership tasks…

1 Like

Carol Vorderman does have stronger ties. As she mentions, her son was/is a cadet, and her daughter was a member of one of the UASs a few years ago. So seemingly far stronger ties than the previous Honorary Gp Capt.

Good on her for doing it too - and far better looking than most of her rank! :lol:

1 Like

There is not such thing as an ATC Scroll.

At least she is wearing the VRT, unlike Group Captain Hoy :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Local ( 102 miles away) AEF needs more pilots …

Didn’t she do a lot of fundraising towards the Bomber Command Memorial? She was certainly present at the unveiling as I met her!

I can see her being much better than Chris Who. I was and have been baffled in which way he is / will be a benefit to the Corps.
She has a background in engineering, ergo science and mathematics … something that is increasingly missing from the cadet and staff training
She seems quite passionate about education, something increasingly missing from cadet training with the p!ss poor classification / exam system
Her children (OK CCF) have been cadets so potentially has a better understanding of the plight of parents and youngsters alike
She is, I would suggest, better known generally than Chris Who, he only comes out in public when we have a competition where people are (mainly) riding bikes round in circles, whereas Carol Voorderman crops up at different times and places and has the potential to put in a punt for us in different places
She has an existing interest in ex-service charities, which we as an organisation support, so lots of potential for joint events with a genuine interest in both camps
She can flies a plane … strange concept I know in the current AIR cadets / AIR Training Corps maybe she ccould take cadets flying
She is far better looking than Chris Who in my opinion. My Mrs and kids will take the mick if I said I was going somewhere where she was doing a cadet gig as I haven’t watched Countdown since she left.
What’s not to like or see as a positive?

I like the notion of Alan Sugar as an Hon GP … he could run The Apprentice style tasks with the ACMB and HQAC staff and could start with organising a drink in a pub in opening hours. He should have the ability to point the finger and utter the words “You’re Fired”. I was chatting to our Wg Cdr who said when at the convention this year, the RCs stood up and spoke about their allotted tasks/reveiws for a collective 2 hrs and collectively said nothing. What should have been an indication of the Corps’ direction/intentions, said nothing, was disappointing and a waste of time. Apparently CAC left to do something else and missed the debacle, probably good from the RC’s perspective. Imagine Alan Sugar’s reaction if it happened on The Apprentice.

[quote=“thetopcat69” post=22043]
Why Not Grp Capt Richard Branson at least he has involvement with flying and could use his contactsand money to our advantage… Or Grp Capy Alan Sugar… he could set some real cool leadership tasks…[/quote]

:lol: two people famously known for their beards

Shame Gp Capt Hoy doesn’t offer the members of the ACO a discount on his bikes :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Carol will need a degree of training to get her used to her commissioned status. I will volunteer to do it and it will be on a one-to-one basis.

It may take some time…

[quote=“Dasonix” post=22042]I’m just curious if she has been gazetted and has the same scroll as normal VRT’s or not ???

Just being nosy as if she hasnt/wont be due to it being an honorary appointment then would she be saluted ?

Doesn’t bother me either way just wanted peoples thoughts.

Update, Sir Chris Hoy wasnt gazetted as I just searched the archive so does that mean the rank is just for show ?[/quote]

Sir Chris was gazetted, assume Carol will be too in due course.

MB
[attachment=197]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416587791.428895.jpg[/attachment]

That will teach me to search for chris hoy

[quote=“Gunner” post=22075]Carol will need a degree of training to get her used to her commissioned status. I will volunteer to do it and it will be on a one-to-one basis.

It may take some time…[/quote]
There’s a queue :wink:

1 Like

This in the local press:

is this really appropriate from our Hon Group Captain - Is being a polyamorist a value we want our senior ambassador to be talking about in the press?

1 Like

I mean, I’m more outraged I’m not involved. I mean… it’s Vorders after all…

7 Likes

Thought these days we were to be more open to peoples diversity & less judgmental on how people define themselves & their relationships.

It’s just a local newspaper going for gossipy stuff. At least it’s open & honest - I’ve heard of worst amongst the volunteers in the organisation.

4 Likes