Carol Vorderman - Group Captain (Retired)

That’ll teach me to read the story rather than thinking I knew which one you were talking about

1 Like

1-0

The games begin I see.

1 Like

Tim, he has retired from the service - read into that what you will…

Was he put on gardening leave?

2 Likes

He was, but since then;

1 MAY 2022

Air Marshal R J Knighton CB to be Deputy Commander Capability, Headquarters Air Command and Air Member for Personnel and Capability in May 2022 in succession to Air Marshal A M Turner CB CBE who is retiring from the Service.

1 Like

I have always liked her. Interestingly, however, not a single cadet on the last 2 intakes we had at Sqn had never heard of her. Most had heard of Emma Wolstenholme, though!

1 Like

Whereas I don’t know anyone who has had heard of Emma other than from RAFAC social media

4 Likes

Agreed!

Who’s that?:sweat_smile:

Is she the one who was trying to row the Atlantic? I’m terrible with names and she’s not exactly a celebrity… Seems like a good person for the cadets to look up to though at first glance

1 Like

I’m with Tim on this one.

CV is an Honorary Group Captain, serving with a MOD-sponsored youth organisation. Our CoC are frequently reminding us that we have a duty to uphold certain standards within the RAFAC and in my opinion, that should also include those holding honorary rank within it.

I like CV. I always have but the fact that she’s associated with younger, very impressionable people with whom she will no doubt hold a certain influence over given her achievements and profile within the Corps, has gone onto national TV\Press telling all and sundry that she - effectively - puts it about.

What sort of message does that send? Can you imagine our Commandant saying something similar in some form of interview given that he’s in a position where he comes into contact with youngsters? I think it would make a lot of parents very uncomfortable.

If Carol wants to around, that’s up to her but don’t hold a position as a role model within a youth group where your comments and life choices may have a detrimental impact on the way young people decide to act.

2 Likes

What if Carol had said she’s a lesbian, or perhaps bisexual?

Would we be having this conversation? Or would we be praising her and recognising how she’s a role model and “represents” others of her persuasion?

20-30 years ago we’d not be blowing that trumpet so loudly…but today the British culture has come a long way in being inclusive.

For some reason because Carol’s preference isn’t monogamy she should be judged and seen as a lesser person and in no way an example or role model.

Seems odd to me that we have an acceptance of fluid ideas on sexuality and gender but not of exclusivity in relationships :thinking:

11 Likes

Is our illustrious Hon Grp Capt starting to push the boundaries of being ‘our’ talisman.

Latest verbal attack on Jezza Clarkson, like or loathe the person or subject, but does she set a great example for the organisation :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Calling someone out for inciting violence? I think that sets a great example.

8 Likes

Is there an article to reference please?

Talking about this perhaps?
https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1604381985203519488

2 Likes

TL/DR
Clarkson said bad things. Vorders calls him out. No real issue.

Hmmm.

A man paid to write divisive and reactionary articles in a newspaper famed for the same…

Being “called out” by pretty much everyone for doing exactly what he’s paid to do…

Clarkson is being Clarkson (good or bad, not condoning) and people are reacting to it. No doubt as intented for publicity. Nothing wrong with what Vorders has said. Arguably “toeing the party line” by calling out “hate speech”.

Might just be me, but I’ve got no feeling either way here. Doesn’t affect RAFAC what she’s said. She isn’t wearing her No1s and standing on speakers corner decrying him to all. Just a normal person calling out what she seems as questionable behavior. Definitely passes the service test.

9 Likes

I’ve had a quick look now and she’s said nothing controversial or offensive.

Sheer hyperbole and absolutely nothing compared to the language she’s opposing.

Yes

No

9 Likes

Outside of this forum, nobody knows she’s involved with the ATC, so no. Doesn’t remotely factor in.

I’m far more bothered about the real group captains and the things they’re actually doing that actually affects us. Not to mention the air commodore above them…

3 Likes

Sadly, playing into the hands of the media, though. This sort of ‘controversy’ is what drives sales of Clarkson’s output.

(Though for me he’s a bit of a guilty pleasure - I certainly enjoy the TV stuff. Not so much the social media. But he has a point about Oxfordshire not supporting its farmers.)

6 Likes

Jezza up-date on Twitter.