BPSS and SC

Don’t know about that, but still sounds less robust than BPSS which requires references. There are still ways around that of course, but…

This is all moot. The MOD has a process in place and we didn’t follow it.

That process says:

• MOD90 holders must have SC
  • Those with any responsibility for weapons must hold SC
  • To hold SC you must have have BPSS

End of story.

You’ve had the reasons why we’re doing it topsy-turvy and we’ve had some in-depth discussions about BPSS already here and here so we’re covering old ground. I recommend reading through those threads as you might find some extra info and also see that many were initially just as frustrated as you are now, but to go through it again in any further detail is going to feel like flogging a dead horse.

I’m going to put a timer on this thread to stop it growing much further, because at the moment it answers the query quite succinctly.

You can message me if after it’s closed if you have something you think would add value that isn’t already covered elsewhere.

2 Likes

SC questionnaire

I would suggest the SC is a lot more robust than the ‘BTEC’ BPSS. For SC, references have to be supplied on pages 33-47, (which in itself is more pages than the whole of the BPSS!

Overall it is. But it’s meant to be stage 2, not stage 1.

That doesn’t mean we don’t have complete what was skipped.

When I did my SC (7 years ago) it was all via an online portal, not a PDF form in sight, the same was the case for my recent new staff member who went through it, so i’m surprised you are using the PDF form.

2 Likes

Its not as black and white as you make it out to be, not every applicant will complete every field or section. I do not know how the decisions are made about what you have to complete. For example when I did mine I went through and completed all the questions I was asked on the portal and then at the end it gave to option to print the completed form, I did and was then on the phone 5 minutes later as the printed form had all these blanks and questions that were not presented to me. They then go digging and come back with additional questions for anything they want to clarify further.

1 Like

apply the steps to the driving licence process

think of the BPSS as the theory test
and the SC as the practical test

for years (decades?) the RAFAC (ACO as it was then) was dishing out SC without any consideration for the BPSS

it would be like the DSA allowing candidates to sit the practical without any theory element.

that wouldn’t happen,
but that was effectively what was happening with BPSS and SC in the RAFAC

suddenly someone has taken notice and is asking everyone to complete the “theory test” (BPSS) despite the fact we’ve been driving (volunteering with SC status) for 20+ years

the BPSS is a tick box exercise, and is meant to be, the real check is SC.

3 Likes

This is, in my opinion, wrong.

We have always done something equivalent when joining the organisation - at least I have, which is why I challenged the need to do a BPSS again (despite having SC via my work… who would have done the BPSS). It has variously been called the BASIC check, BSVR and now BPSS over they years, but they all involved getting references and checking ID, declaring convictions etc etc.

I’ve checked enough of the flaming things in my time as OC Sqn when bringing on new staff.

This is effectively the conversation I had with WHQ the other week.

Obviously nobody could have done BPSS before 2018 (or whenever it was introduced) because it didn’t exist… but people did do BSVR.

I still think we’ve been fed a line.

I did my SC as part of my forces application (ultimately didn’t end up joining). This was only 2-3 years ago, and never filled in BPSS paperwork, still had my ID checked and photocopied etc.

Are we suggesting that the MOD would ask me to do BPSS if I had joined up, having been in two or three years, already having had SC prior to joining? If not regulars, why us?

1 Like

I agree.

2 Likes

One of the benefits now is that I don’t have to attend anywhere to show my ID. Despite being told we MUST attend WHQ/a workshop at one “local” squadron before Covid-19, turns out we can now scan our documents.

It’s almost as if no one really bothered to think before. Amazing what a pandemic can so for streamlining admin processes.

3 Likes

We have been told that the face-to-face interview still has to happen, on top of doing it electronically. Is that no longer the case?

I’m unsure. They have to be handwritten references for your referees but these can then be scanned across. Latest from my wing doesn’t mention anything else about attending in person.

Interesting… if we don’t have to do the interview then that makes it a lot easier!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Reopened on request.

I’ll be keeping an eye out still that it doesn’t just go round in the same old circles.

If someone already has done BPSS externally, do they need to redo it for RAFAC?

Pretty sure face to face for SC status is only in certain cases where its felt needed by NSVS.

It is required for the higher clearance levels of eSC, Developed Vetting and eDV.

details of the different levels can be found on gov uk here

To clarify, I am talking about the face-to-face interview required for BPSS. As you say, I didn’t need one for my SC

Can’t find a specific reference, but reading between the lines I would say “probably”.

It forms the RAFAC’s version of new starter identity and residency check like an employer would carry out, and as the sponsor organisation we would also need to declare and specify it was carried out if that person requires further NSV clearance (such as SC).

Both of those things suggest we would need to carry it out.