BPSS etc

Not the process in my wing and as you cam probably tell i am in that region.
In my wing there is no organisation to the process. A SC cleared person checks the forms and documents and all forwarded to WHQ. Sqn has to organise the visit of a SC CFAV to visit the sqn and check the forms.

Your identity hasn’t, but the documents you use to verify it might.

Apparently its to come into line with the RAF processes

Which we have also supposedly been following for years…?

that was certainly the impression i got when we were required to move from CTC to SC clearances to continue playing with weapons…

Just been advised by my WHQ that MOD90 applications are only going to support if a current SC is in place, this will be a future policy and therefore impact on time to achieve SC so we are implementing this for all applications starting 1 Jan 2020.

To achieve SC BPSS is required, this isn’t new so ok with that.

The real big fish in this was that BPSS is only valid for 5 years apparently, which is half the time an SC remains valid :frowning:

Not heard this before. Did they reference any documents about this that have been published?

My WHQ has been doing this for approx a year now. Had to do a BPSS for my mod 90 renewal

I have no issue with the completion of BPSS, kinda waiting til I have 3 years at my current employer to keep it simple.

I’m concerned by the 5 year rule

@bob1 no reference to policy, just a line in an email.

That’s normal… Not having to do SC as well though just for a MOD 90.

I had SC before BPSS so now have both?

Yes, but you should have had BPSS first, it’s just that the ATC had forgotten about / had never been told about it.

Don’t all uniform staff need the SC anyway? (Or is that just units that hold weapons?)

Just staff involved with shooting.

I knew BPSS was required for new MOD90s, but an SC requirement is a new one on me. Could it be a misunderstanding?

First time I’ve heard that BPSS is time limited.

As for SC, everyone should be SC cleared, clears up a serious misunderstanding within the MOD.

I was aware that SC was only valid for (generally) 10 years, but as BPSS only really covers the very basic checks I can’t see why that needs to be repeated more frequently. A DBS would hopefully cover any criminal record activity and it’s unlikely the right to work or identity would change in 3 years…

If we have SC then we have to report any material changes as part of maintaining it.

Bpss is a one off.
Sc valid for 10 years
Dbs valid for 5, but from this year the corps wants them every 3 years.

This used to be the policy but probably about two years ago that changed to require all staff to hold SC, not just those in the shooting world.
I don’t think the push to get it done it going very well though.

I’m not sure who came up with the notion that BPSS will be required every 5 years.
It confirms identity*… Once it been done once and we know who someone is there is no need to do it again.

*It actually confirms employment eligibility (such as nationality and immigration status), employment history, identity, and criminal record.

Actually no. The DBS check is valid for as long as the agency doing the check wishes it to be. Most simply agree that every 3 years is best practice.

Yeah ok…
Was valid for 5 years with RAFAC, now 3.

Got a reference for that? Outside of NI I’ve never heard anything about it.

1 Like