BPSS and SC

I think BPSS isn’t transferable, because it doesn’t really give you anything. It’s just a check that you are who you say you are.

SC clearances, however, can be transfered. Get the WExO to speak to their vetting liaison officer and the applicant to make sure their employer is happy to share and give the certificate number.

1 Like

Correct in your thinking; have received confirmation from HQAC.

1 Like

ACP 20 has been updated and now includes PI 103 Annex B RAFAC Vetting Requirements.

My bold above, we have just under 12 months to get this sorted, I’m lucky that I have an awesome WEXO & E1 who are prepared to come to the unit to complete with my staff on a Parade Evening.

Maybe if this was promulgated down it might get sorted by next summer. Bet it will be the normal threat in late spring, if not done, suspension!

To be fair is been promulgated down the chain of command multiple times in the last 2 years saying it needs to be done. Theres no reason really why some shouldn’t have already done it given the amount of IBNs, chain emails etc that have been sent telling people they need a bpss regardless of what clearance they currently hold.

Although ACTO 99 allows for ‘grandfather rights’ for those appointed before Jan 2020 to not complete BPSS until the renewal of their mod 90 - which for a few people will occur after the new deadline.

Exactly, mine’s not due till 2023 so under old scheme, not needed until then!!

1 Like

Presumably the new policy will override the old policy… With the new deadline being the deadline, and the old grandfather rights being no longer valid.

1 Like

Let’s hope that the new document makes that clear!

1 Like

So, as I thought, its not about confirming a persons identity, but their residency, nationality and right to work.
Since these checks, (and a whole lot more) are also included in a SC vetting, why are those who hold SC being asked to go back a stage and re-jump a hurdle again?

I dont understand some peoples problem…
Just shut up.
Get it done.
Move on.

3 Likes

How’s your new job at HQ going?

Super thanks.
Commandant Paracetamol…

No, it IS about confirming identity. Identity is the first of the 4 elements that it confirms.

Identity, right to work, criminal record, employment history.

Wow! … and they wonder why there’s a retention problem with staff!

Just to give you some background Paracetamol. I’ve spent the last 35 years working in and for the military. I’ve seen BS and unnecessary duplication & triplication come in many forms. I’m not afraid to call it out at work when I see it.

I joined as a CI years back to give back to young people just some of the mountains of experience I have in aviation. I’ve turned down all the offers to return to uniform as I’ve ‘been there and done that’. I’m not thrusting for a commendation or promotion or anything like that. I just want to efficiently deliver training to cadets.

I have SC to work on special projects within the MOD. It is unnecessary duplication and a complete waste of everybody’s time for me to go back and complete a BPSS.

Wind back those 35 years and I might just have “shut up, got it done and moved on”. But right now, it might just be the straw that broke the camels back!

2 Likes

The SC proves the person you said you are is cleared.

The BPSS proves you are the person you say you are.

There is some crossover between the two, yes, but if you’ve been around the mil for as long as you say then you’ll know that’s not exactly uncommon…

I’m SC’d and DV’d, still needed to tick the RAFAC BPSS box.

(I wanted to fit more acronyms in there, but started losing the will to live)

1 Like

This was exactly my argument. Unnecessary duplication (especially where my SC is not sponsored by RAFAC) and very little justification other than ‘just get it done’.

Yes all very well done.
But.

It’s their trainset…

If they want us all to get BPSS, even those of us who hold SC. Then thats what we have to do.

I totally agree with what you’ve said.

As a Squadron Commander, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have staff that are not SC cleared, that need to do the BPSS.

Personally, I think it was a waste of my life to complete, but I did it anyway, to stop the whinging from wing, and to set an example to the staff.

I also competed a face to face safeguarding refresher session about 8 weeks before the new one was introduced, and I was told the face to face version was null and void.

Sometimes, you just need to play the game, and try not to let the system grind you down.

By all means, moan and whinge to us, but don’t let this comparatively small issue see you off.

1 Like

IBN 046 - 2020 introduced today

All CFAV currently holding BSVR clearance.
A requirement to conform to the new BPSS standard was introduced in 2018, there has always been a need to complete this vetting obligation and the date for that was set as 31 Aug 21. It appears there has been some confusion around that date which this IBN aims to clarify.