Bader Personal Accounts - They're Here!

It hasn’t.

The profile photos were supposed to be removed entirely from the role accounts but what’s actually happened is that we’ve managed to roll back (I don’t know if it’s to the previous photo, or to a previous date in time) but for many people that means that their role accounts now exhibit the profile photo of the person in post before them… And because of the change to access, we can’t update them ourselves.

1 Like

Not quite. When MOD abolished them, they were gone, not all recreated as mailboxes.

Offices of three or more applied for a joint mailbox so that when emailing another office, they can send from that mailbox and everybody is in the loop. That way important correspondence isn’t stuck in an account that is on holiday or half-days etc.

Quite a few people work in a post that doesn’t attract a mailbox, so all their work is done through their ‘personal account’. In MOD this is completely normal.

To get around loss of information when somebody leaves these posts, MOD staff are supposed to save pertinent or otherwise valuable emails as records on SharePoint (or the OneDrive of their office’s mailbox).

I just wonder if it is attractive to the permanent staff to make Bader a mirror of MODNET as described above, or whether they’re deliberately making it different. The MODNET model is cheaper and reduces the size of the address list, I can’t see it not happening years down the line.

A big difference between us and them generally is people in MoD typically have one job they’re paid to do and maybe a secondary role so one mailbox is adequate in most instances. In RAFAC, volunteers can have 1, 2, 3, 4+ roles as there’s not enough people to go around. That said, there’s plenty we can still do around primary appointment based permissions.

1 Like

Bringing back OneDrives associated with the Role mailbox would be a huge help. SharePoint is too fiddly to use for routine local admin.

It’s not if you sync the libraries to your local device in my experience. Makes it much easier.

1 Like

Sharepoint is by no means perfect (both the actual software, and how RAFAC use it), but there’s a huge number of nerds expert users on here who I’m sure would be more than willing to help you out if you’ve got specific questions or need some general guidance with how to use it :slightly_smiling_face:

Requirement is to have a single place to share templates and completed paperwork plus training materials for events.

We had the makings of a nice OneDrive set up until it was taken from the account. I liked the way it was easy to give people access to folders or files as needed.

I really haven’t got my head around SharePoint and the mobile app is awful (but OneDrive app works fairly well)

The OneDrive app (on android at least) can sync with Sharepoint directories :slightly_smiling_face:

Remember that OneDrive is essentially nothing more than a document folder in Sharepoint.
As ccw34 says, one can use the OneDrive app to access any sharepoint folder in the same way, not just the user’s OneDrive.
It just happens that the user drive is setup automatically when signing into the App, whereas to sync with other folders, requires a manual button click to set it up.

1 Like

Our migration has apparently been completed, but there appear to be anomalies still. But it’s reassuring to know it can work; now to make it work…

1 Like

Just as a heads up people; it looks like the license has now been removed from role accounts, so you’ll now have to login with your personal account and then add your role account.

That is how you should already be doing it, but I know a lot of people were still just logging in with their role account, so some people might not be able to access their email until they do it properly!

This also now means no more generic email account access for Staff Cadets, unless they have a personal account, which the vast majority do not unless their in a role where they’ll have an email anyway!

Would have been nice to be told - I will await the email to let us know as I never used my personal account so far.

Received an email this morning to role account.

Still works on phones at the mo

Their was an announcement on MS teams engagement but that was about 2/3 hrs after I noticed the direct access to the emails being lost

The problem with announcing stuff in there is the lack of people who actually use Teams at all, let alone that specific channel!

3 Likes

What engagement channel? Barely discovered the VoV one (& that one only through here)

THIS.,… is just the sort of thing that annoys me. I appreciate all the hard work being done to upgrade our IT… but I have a staff cadet who is organising some important activities for our Sqn at the moment via the multi-user account. So I guess I can kiss goodbye to those plans?! Again, I appreciate the monetary element, but it feels like the message is “staff cadets, sit nicely in your box while we treat you like children and fail to value the work you contribute”. I would traditionally have said the same applies to CI’s but at least CI’s DO have a personal account…

Entire Sqn reshuffle pending now as we work out who to assign what role accounts to just so that we can get things moving again…

Apologies all for the rant… I’m off to have some cake and chill! lol :joy::joy:

6 Likes

Good luck with that in this heat! :cold_sweat:

1 Like

That’s my wishful thinking… lol

By the sounds of it, this is something that HQ did ages ago and microsoft has only just caught up with :person_shrugging:

1 Like