Bader Personal Accounts - They're Here!

Is there any point to logging into personal accounts before Phase 5?

As far as I understand from the FAQs, I’ll still need to log into my role account until the mail boxes are merged, and the role account will still have access to everything required until it’s deactivated which also won’t happen until Phase 5

The latest email also says:

You do not need to add your personal account to any of your Teams, SharePoint

I don’t understand how I would do this - unless it just means “please don’t login to Teams using your personal account”? Or have I totally misunderstood this?

You can merge them now if you want too. I have!
(merge is maybe the wrong word, but you can access them from your personal account)

how do you do that?

The FAQ links to a how-to, but that didn’t actually help me, so here’s what I did:

1. Login to your personal account via outlook online (https://outlook.office.com/) and right click on folders, then add shared folder.
  2. Type in the role account email that you want to view on your personal account and click on it.
  3. Log into that role account on another browser or in incognito mode.
  4. Within your role account email, right click on folders and select permissions.
  5. Within the permissions window, add your personal account, then change it’s permission level to owner.
  6. Go back to where you’re logged in on you personal account and hit refresh

Do steps 4 and 5 for each folder ie inbox sent etc

Now you should have access to the role account via your personal account.

If you have multiple role accounts just do those steps again.

I’ve not tested this properly mind you, but it appears to at least work on the surface for me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My personal view is don’t do anything and let the machine roll along.

2 Likes

don’t do anything, including log in? (as per my question above)

all the staff on my sqn have basically asked this today

1 Like

Exactly. If I can’t add the other account that I use, and nor can others, then there was little point in releasing personal accounts until that was ready to go? What else can they do right now?

1 Like

Log in, use it for email, but continue to login separately to access role email etc.

The phases are going to move quickly, I think we might be all done in 3-4 weeks if not sooner.

2 Likes

But if I’m an OC, all my oc email is still going to go to my OC account, and if I want to reply I’ll be doing that from my OC account still?

if we’re still logging into role account emails, I fail to see the advantage of using personal accounts as well - it’s just increasing the number of accounts I log into for no benefit surely? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes

These accounts don’t have worth until all phases are completed.

The important thing is check you can login all ok and see the mailbox, maybe send yourself a test email. Add the account to your mobile device if you have cadet stuff in your phone.

This is an aggressive period of change.
Personal Accounts > Bader Learn / Volunteer Portal

The end result is that our finance/hr processes will be electronic and we stop having to wet sign forms that get lost in the system.

4 Likes

I think this is the important point which hasn’t been communicated well, and has caused some confusion (although I do appreciate everything the Bader team are doing)

1 Like

This does make sense and clarify things, I just don’t think it’s what people were expecting initially. No real complaint from me, it is progress for sure! I just think people were expecting to log in and have their other accounts there. Not just a log in to make sure it works kinda deal

1 Like

Things weren’t helped with the delay in licenses, because the individual mailbox should have been there from the start.

The comms out have detailed the phases, maybe not as clearly I just put it / details lost in translation and the focus being on having good data.

What we need to remember is that I doubt any organisation has created ~ 10,000 accounts and this is being delivered by an IT team of 4 (2 of whom are developers). Let’s also remember that these guys have been RAFAC for a long time so won’t have any experience of this type of work from another job.

4 Likes

I really want to reiterate that this is good progress, and these things are certainly noted and remembered! The hard work is appreciated for sure. Just a few questions that wanted answering :stuck_out_tongue:

This is by all accounts a positive change that this organisation needs.

3 Likes

Is there a way of granting the folder access without doing it for every folder? What about send as access? Haven’t found a way of doing that yet

It should just work if you right click on where it says “folders” as opposed to right clicking on each individual folder I thought?

Nope it is actually per folder, huh.

Aw man

Hopefully when this is done automatically, this will done at Exchange level and won’t be an issue

2 Likes

It definitely will be automatic, that’s been said before. I was just looking for a work around in the mean time :stuck_out_tongue: It does kinda work :smiley:

Scrap role accounts and just have one account per person, that you have throughout your time regardless of what you do, much easier to maintain.
This has worked across industry for the best part of 30 years. I don’t know of anyone who has multiple accounts where I work now or previously and it doesn’t prevent people doing more than one thing. If people are precious about what they do, there’s always the signature block. Now we are at long last getting to where we should have been 15 or so years ago it seems a shame to sod it up now.

Why is it not a surprise that acquiring licenses was a problem.

@themajor is that ~10000 for this or overall? There must be getting on for 10000 based on several sqn roles and associated roles up the chain.