Bader Personal Accounts - They're Here!

I’m fairly sure CCF(RAF) have accounts too, although no idea how many CFAVs they have. Open to being wrong on this.

Then add in @JoeBloggs comment about perm staff too. Again, not sure of their overall size but I’m told they’re not a small cadre.

No.

https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/DigitalHub/SitePages/Licencing.aspx

From Apr 2024, all Bader users irrespective of role in the organisation will be licenced with a Microsoft 365 F3 licence. This type of licence provides the most financial value per user, whilst still enabling you to carry out all the functions you need to undertake. Broadly this can be categorised as follows

• Microsoft 365 for the web (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
  • Outlook for the web (2GB storage)
  • Microsoft OneDrive (2GB storage)
  • Microsoft Teams web/desktop app
  • Microsoft 365 for Mobile (All native mobile applications)
  • Microsoft Forms
  • Microsoft Planner
  • Microsoft To-Do
  • Microsoft Power Platform
3 Likes

There were 720 CCF(RAF) CFAVs as of 1 April 2023.

1 Like

Oh, a proper announcement! Once again in a really obscure part of Sharepoint!

So we’re moving to F3. Does that mean we are currently E1? Or E3? (Based on current access?) Glad to see we get to keep Forms etc

which accounts for the 100@rafac emails - but there will be 900+ Squadron emails to consider.

do the role accounts count too? that would make for 900+ Squadron generic, OC, Adj, Trg and SNCO accounts = ~4500 then there are WSO and RSO accounts to consider.

I can understand the suggestion 10k isn’t enough (@WhiskeyNovember), we’re near 15k just on personal and Sqn generic account - all others are linked/assigned to an 100@rafac account so I guess counted differently?

I’m not quite sure why as volunteers we don’t qualify for the free Microsoft licences, so it would just be the cost of permanent staff licences and the servers?

2 Likes

Role accounts are free, they are not licenced, but rather are shared mailboxes that we have permissions granted to access.

The only ones we should be paying for are the 100 accounts.

Because there’s no such thing anymore and hasn’t been for a while.

I used to think the same would apply at my work - we’re a registered charity - but my Head of IT assures me that this isn’t the case. In fact, he says the only success metric that Microsoft is now measuring is “spend per user” - so there’s now no incentive for this to happen.

1 Like

For small non-profits there is a free basic email, I think for a max of 250 users though. For large non-profits they do offer discounts, but I think only in a ‘full’ 365 package, ie desktop office applications etc.

Certainly not free for any organisation in the 000s.

Just found those details - guess I was given the wrong info previously.

I don’t believe RAFAC would be eligible under the “Mission” segment anyhow, as I believe we would be viewed as a “governmental organisation”

Is this the route our Regions of Civilian Committee Pillars are going to go perhaps.

1 Like

That would certainly be a good idea!

1 Like

There’s 2 routes, Microsoft and via Charity Digital.

Microsoft have different schemes for volunteers and charity paid staff. As our IT (aside from the Bader ‘back end’) is paid for by civcoms my guess is that end user licences could have been done that way. But that won’t have some of the central controls that we have.

Whether those controls are needed is a different question.

A decline in our IT offering is certainly part of the organisational spiral. I have however already suggested this thread gets split once a Mod comes online.

Is not actually that off topic compared to normal. Normally we go from the commandant resigning to discussing the ins and outs of the start of WW1. :wink:

1 Like

How much does Bader cost vs cost of moving over to Westminster?

The best bit about this - which perm staff clearly don’t appreciate - is we have some (parts of) forms which can only be edited in the desktop version of Word. The date boxes of the RA form springs to mind.

Yet another reason to bin Word document forms

1 Like

A big shock. Imagine how much less work will be required to check those pesky FOIs!

1 Like

My personal OneDrive - as in the one I pay for - has 1TB.

I think an AVIP workbook is about 15MB!

3 Likes

A very good question, because we don’t know what the cost of using Westminster is. The SCC could tell us, though: they use Westminster but are famously not funded with public funds, so they must be paying…

But it would be good to see one of the recommendations of DYER 2010 enacted!

Not quite right about the SCC. They get a Grant In Aid from the RN worth £12M + in 2023. They also have an MOU with the RN that provides a series of support functions. They do have to raise approx 50% of their own funding.

1 Like