Astra Clothing Programme

We would want the PCS to be Wedgwood blue with a tie

4 Likes

That would be magnificent…

To be fair, my cadets were introduced as Army Cadets at a public event, despite wearing full blues, and staff in number 1’s…

I completely agree. It needs to be dark enough to hide any dirt that may be picked up throughout the day

1 Like

In the RAF PCS trials it was a kind of RAF blue, lighter than the Navy’s rig or the Working Blue shirt.
But PCS is a combat uniform. It probably makes sense for the RN to have blue on a ship. For ground based staff MTP would surely be more suitable. Probably one reason the RAF didn’t adopt it.
For us the single most practical uniform change would be to allow (black) boots as standard footwear. It would save cadets/parents a lot of money. Whether that’s with existing No2, a new No2, or a move to No3, is a different discussion.

The RN are introducing a revised version of the blue PCS uniform, if the RAF had any sense they’d learn from their experience.

3 Likes

What are the changes in the revision of the Navy PCS Uniform?

I can’t find the post I originally saw but off the top of my head they’re reducing the overall amount of velcro, making the pockets easier to access, and making removing name tapes easier to remove. I think there’s more but can’t really remember sorry.

So more like the MTP Barrack Dress Shirt?

1 Like

Yeah plus some changes to the trousers.

The anti barrack shirt crew will have to learn to wind their neck in soon

2 Likes

4 Likes

That’s the one.

The poor sailors needed the crotch depth reducing. He he he…

2 Likes

Ever seen them? It’s to the knees on some people!

1 Like

I wouldn’t object to that style of working uniform to be fair…

2 Likes

It’s not entirely awful. It’s not very military though which might upset some people. Reminds me a bit of the USCG working dress

1 Like

That’s actually isn’t too bad.
Practical but a bit smarter and not as “fieldy” as the PCS. More akin to the previous No 4 AWD, or the old No 8.
I’m not convinced about the collar though.

I’m also not at all convinced about reducing the ‘crotch depth’ or rise as it’s called. That’s what they did to our current No 2 trousers and now they sit uncomfortable low on the hips and have tiny shallow pockets.
A “better fit” for whom? For youngsters who have never worn trousers properly?

Personally, I would cry if I had to wear that.

Very practical on HMS Whatever, nowhere near smart enough for the Royal Air Force!

1 Like

I think that would work perfectly well as a working dress, stick a Stable Belt on and an RAF TRF and job done.

Retain wedgewoods as best dress for Cadets however.

Seconded. Could increase the blue footprint as can be used on ranges, for first aid, car parking duties where everything currently wears MTP. I don’t wear blues very often, as a SAAI, RCO, FAI I always seem to be in green, BUT I am not bother about looking “ally” in green and would prefer a sensible working blue uniform which is as adaptable as the MTP system - ie additonal layers where needed, but with RAFAC branding, like said the RAF Stable Belt, RAF TRF and beret.

2 Likes