Astra Clothing Programme

The cargo pants / lightweight jumper combo with polo shirt look good tbf. Will be quite clear brand visibility which will be very nice. I’m sure they will tell us to keep our issues AKUs with the uniform and we are wall secretly

The trade on rank slides thing was addressed in the uniform survey, branch badges are being investigated as well but they will take a bit of designing. Surprised the Regiment have not kicked up a fuss about RAF Logistics etc being put on there they like to be special!

So others know to help them because they’re likely lost?

1 Like

Thought that was for the intelligence lot…

FIrst Loggie I ever met was on the wrong train.

As for the photos, the mid colour, matched trousers and shirt is a no from me. The light shirt seems alright except for that cuff loop, but I don’t think the mannequin and lack of ironing helps it, the dark trousers seem ok for (manual) working dress, but that utilitarian look just doesn’t suit non-manual positions.

The soft shell fleeces… what is this obsession with two-tone? They look too high street to me.

Just go MTP or the RN version with RAF identifiers.

Saves cost, and when the RAF go onboard to support the F35, it’s the same uniform and flame retardant.

Just keep No1s for best.

ATC… I’m sure cadet direct has a surplus of pins🤣

3 Likes

ATC in gold…

…because Pilots need Heroes too…

RAF IBN news;

“In an Internal Briefing Note (IBN) just before Christmas it was announced that the No 2 Service Dress would stay for office wear but with significant improvements made to the quality and functionality (like pockets in the skirts for women!). Plus also a RAF Utility Uniform (RAFUU) would be introduced for light non-op duties. For the RAFUU then next year (2023) would be subject to series of Focus Groups with the RAFUU not expected until at least 2025.”

4 Likes

Will be interesting to see if this becomes permitted wear for RAFAC. However if the No2 dress is improved that would probably remove the need for us.

1 Like

Rafuu is that the thunderbird outfits they showed?
Who is going to choose to wear that garbage.

This better have been improved on since I saw it in June.
My comment on how I would describe the new uniform was “uniform for a gas engineer, designed by a blind man who had no concept of how to make clothing”

Allegedly, blues are remaining for “executive wear” (SWO, Staish and the like). The CAS is apparently wanting everyone else in this utility uniform… Probably tie it in with a crown swapover.

2 Likes

From a RAFAC point of view I wouldn’t expect a change this decade. I’m surprised we aren’t still in battledress.

2 Likes

How many years has CAS got left before end of contract? If it’s three or less it ain’t happening.

2 Likes

I’m sure we have some in stores somewhere!

1 Like

Fully aware.

Obviously the kick back to this has been massive. I’m obviously on the “wrong side of history” and are probably like the old dinosaurs when battle dress was phased out… Not in my air force etc…

It looks awful. Genuinely awful. An American CAS, McPeak, did something similar in the 90s. Wanted a new uniform. Universally hated, gone within a few years. Might be that the current one wants a “legacy” that isn’t D&I hand grenades.

Uniform does need updating, in that I have no doubt, but it should be an increase in the quality of materials. Not a completely different uniform.

3 Likes

Having a quick google /Wikipedia - CAS is normally a 3 year posting, sometimes 4.

Mike Wiggins was appointed in July 19 so is currently at the three & half year mark so will be either moving on later this year or sometime in 2023 depending on contract length.

So you’re looking at either Harvey Smyth or Richard Kington.

Kington may well be embroiled in the D& I issues & likly to be the one most engaged with the uniform changes. He was also appointed in 2019 so would be approaching same finish time as Wigston.

The uniforms are likly to be 18 month before introduction so it would interring if seen through to the end or just dropped.

1 Like

What about AM Sir Gerry Mayhew? He’s been free since AM Harv Smyth took over DCO in summer?

And RAF senior appointments still says AM Sir Gerry Mayhew’s next appointment is tba.

Could be him but it’ll be interesting to see if any of the recent ‘incidents’ play a part in Wigston leaving early…

Back to topic, I’m not a fan of the Star Trek look and am confident i wont see it before i retire!

1 Like

Star Trek look* isn’t the issue, it’s the space 1999 look that’s the issue.

*depending on the series - the DS9 look may actually work.

Back to topic I truly hope this will replace the RAF ‘Working dress’ (2C working dress - Like RAFAC dark blues - see image) and that only. Maybe the numerous variants are drafts, and one type will be picked. Otherwise it seems useless if 2 dress is being retained.