Astra Clothing Programme

The First Contact uniforms with grey shoulders, and colours tops for division?

I’d be up for that.

1 Like

Yeah…
Id happily wear that.

Just… not with a hat. Would look stupid.

1 Like

Hats are stupid.

Hats and ties should be burned in a glorious “welcome to the 21st century” bonfire.

2 Likes

Getting rid of non PPE headdress would save a small fortune in the defence budget.

3 Likes

Especially for the RAF, bin everything apart for the Peak which is to be worn with No1 only.

Move to the RN version of PCS for day to day wear for all ranks and trades (in the same way that 2C and the old RN No4 dress I think it was were pretty much the same).

Make serious use the blanking plates to demonstrate the RAF service identity and bring back trade badges for all trade groups.

Would save an absolute fortune.

5 Likes

Amen.

That would be great.

There is currently only one trade badge in the air force…

1 Like

IIRC current RN PCS rig is all fire retardant so pretty expensive. The RAF have FR kit in mtp as do the Army, but issued as required.

It would likely cost less to do a ‘run’ of blue PCS non FR for the RAF but it was trialled before and not taken up.

I can’t see a case for a 3rd uniform getting past the Treasury let alone being issued to us (it’d likely end up being another private purchase option, unless we sacked off No2s)

Wasn’t that in a different light blue rather than in the RN/No2C blue?

It was. But I don’t see CAS going for RN blue if the point is to distinguish between RAF and the other services.

(I don’t really see the need to do so for a working dress anyway, the public would likely still see the RAF as RN if they were in a blue working dress. Might as well use MTP as it exists and is broadly fit for purpose.)

ETA - the RFC, of course, wore khaki

You could I suppose go for a blue/grey or even a Royal Blue but since the old No2C was the same as an RN uniform the precedent to dress the same (as for khaki) does exist.

I’m no good with photo shop, but it would be interesting to see what PCS in the same blue as a set of No1’s would look like.

Someone posted on here a while back, think some also showed up on eBay.

Short answer, pretty gash. Better in dark blue for some reason. Even so RN changed from PCS to a version of the barrack shirt.

That could work, perhaps swap the grey for a sky blue? Perhaps they need to copy SpaceX & get a fashion/movie costume designer to do the rebrand rather than a manufacturer or bunch of airforce committee members.

The Star Trek Movic Tunic in blue might work though (maybe even with headdress)

Just go with RN PCS, with RAF identifier and name badge, and either the RAF TRF or the RAF corporate branding.

Not sure on belt colour, as the RN stable belt colour is the Navy Blue. Would it go with an RAF Stable belt?

3 Likes

Too much common sense here.

1 Like

Following on from the Star Trek comment but in a serious way - do we know who is designing the new Astra uniform?

Is it a committee of Air Force people along with the manufacturer or is it someone who has actually studied fashion designed?

It may have been worth taking a lead out of SpaceX’s book and asking a movie costume designer to come up with something rather than just try to modernise what we currently have.

I don’t think textiles is one of the skills the Air Force is noted for teaching.

I believe it says on the rendered posters leaked at the bottom.

1 Like

In the Summer, from the horses mouth.

1 Like

I have a full set of RAF blue PCS

1 Like

Why did you delete, this is amazing!

3 Likes