Appointment of Senior Volunteer Advisor

Maybe she doesn’t want to pay cadet direct prices

5 Likes

Yes. My point was whether this would become a gp Capt position.
Sort of a volunteer pillar along side perm pillar.

I don’t think that works as they would then be flat at RHQ.

This is a volunteer reporting to the Air Cdre so 1 rank below makes sense

I had it in my head that embroidered ones would be physically too large for her shoulder straps.

Simples… make that role Air Cdre then…
The hypothetical ones I’m talking about at region level at gp Capt, wouldnt look out of place then.

Besides if someone survives this org to OF5 or 6 level… I dont think they will be the sort of person to be challenging rank.

The other thing to bare in mind is the appointment vs rank element.

We are so very obsessed about having a nice neat hierarchy in our org… why? Because it’s what cadets are taught in ATC first class and then take all the way through their cadet careers…

Reality is in the real world, the rank is almost irrelevant to position or appointment.

If a FS tech says to a pilot the aircraft is grounded… the Flt Lt fighter ace cant over rule them.

Great idea, the effect on the command board will be limited though as they aren’t a DDH. So the RCs will simply say ‘lovely idea pal but we don’t accept the risk’.

Fingers crossed they get on the panel and start firing some awkward questions around.

1 Like

Just a thought, the ACF has CFAV Colonels, so we are now in line in that regard

3 Likes

About time. This all depends on how much influence they have. If they just sit at the table and get told to wind their neck in, not much more than a nice gesture. If however if they are able to head off or get the things that make our volunteering experience and the cadet experience not as nice as it should be, this what I imagine people will be expecting or me at least.

From experience of people I know who have been seconded to HQAC or been in Regional roles, where they thought they could be influential but not, I suspect the former, but I sincerely hope not.
The ATC CFAV have needed representation like this for donkey’s, let us hope it is not wasted. The success or failure of this lays fair and square with the ACMB.

3 Likes

It does, though they keep talking about getting rid of them.

Good to see some honours being awarded. Were there any others? I couldn’t find any awards for cadet staff on the honours list I saw.

Edit: just found it

1 Like

I suspect it’s Acting Gp Capt just like he is listed there as Acting Wg Cdr - i.e. we all are, above Fg Off.

The honours lists used to give substantive ranks for RAFVR(T) which sometimes looked out of kilter with the awards being made.

2 Likes

Probably by email to all eligible candidates.

When Wing Commander jobs are advertised it’s usually by email to all the Bader Accounts that are eligible (or likely to be eligible) to apply. The criteria normally includes “must be a Sqn Ldr” In this case I would expect that the criteria would include “must be a Wing Commander” and so it would be emailed to all often Wing Commanders.

I’m sorry but your talking out of your hoop, this appointment is no different to appointing a Wing Commander or even a Sector Commander. You design the role, set the ToR and then recruit from the available pool of people.

Why would it need to be circulated to every Tom, Dick & Harry who aren’t eligible to apply and how would doing so make any difference to which of the 30-40 eligible individuals actually gets the job?

6 Likes

I agree

The organisation has done something really good here which gives me hope that we are moving away from the Dawn days of saying lots but not doing anything to help volunteers. And you moan because you weren’t informed of a voluntary job vacancy that you were not eligible for. (Unless you’re a wing commander and were not told in which case I agree that you can feel hard done by).

This is something to celebrate.

2 Likes

So you saw her comment under the Facebook post then…

2 Likes

No. But I’m going to look now.

And…🤦

2 Likes

She had 8 years :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Can anyone post it for those of us not on Facebook?

1 Like

She simply doesn’t need to add that detail - it comes across as trying to switch the narrative back onto her and just ends up as a “cool story bro” moment. The rest is spot on.

The organisation is moving forward, this is a positive and welcome step, and it doesn’t matter what she did or didn’t do.

3 Likes