Appointment of Senior Volunteer Advisor

But you were a duty holder as a head teacher in a paid role surely? Not just as a volunteer?

(Genuine questions, not assumptions!)

No, I was a duty holder as a RAFVR(T) and then CFC officer as a CFAV. I had a letter of delegation and ā€˜attendedā€™ online training. CCF Contingent Commanders are typically teachers at the same school, but not necessarily, and I wasnā€™t a duty holder because of that.

I did try to explain this to RC SNI a few years ago who wouldnā€™t have it. Doesnā€™t mean it wasnā€™t true, though!

1 Like

PS and I was only a Sqn Ldr for most of that timeā€¦

Huh, this is interesting to learn :slightly_smiling_face:

I had always assumed (wrongly!!) that when CCF staff were duty holders it was only because of the background paid role, normally headteacher, rather than their CCF role.

The more you learn I guess!

Thatā€™s easily resolved. The DDH element already falls on the CFC contingent commander in CCF

Edit: just seen that Tim posted already

1 Like

And in fact when they originally did this, they claimed it was because we were technically reservists (RAFVR(T) or TA List B) so it was allowed. They didnā€™t have an answer when I pointed out some Cont Comds were CCF(RN) who were never reservists, always civilians in uniformā€¦

1 Like

2 Likes

These roles are currently FTRS, so would need to become CS at which point anyone could apply and would have the option to take on a CFC commission in the relevant rank for the role, as is the case with WEXOs.

The key difference to your example v whatā€™s happened here is Paid Staff v Volunteer.

Is it a 4 year term extendable by a 2nd term?

Also

Wonder if successful they will role out x1 of these roles. x1 for each region?

If itā€™s just one and effectively an 8 year termā€¦ sort of ultimate dead mans shoe isnt it.

This is interesting as other than ā€˜ambassadorā€™ roles I am not sure there are any ā€˜part-timeā€™ Group Captains anywhere else in the ā€˜RAF Familyā€™. They exist as FTRS and for ā€˜retiredā€™ officers roles, but I believe the highest rank in the RAFVR / RAuxAF , is Wing Commander.

Happy to be proved wrong.

1 Like

I seem to recall us discussing Air Officer Scotland (RAuxAF or RAFR) being an Air Cdre

I believe thatā€™s an FTRS role

Appendix 30 lists daily pay rates up to OF6 (Air Cdre) which would imply this might be the case

Turns out heā€™s an AVM

1 Like

Ah well, that will be FTRS then - but the point still stands that OF6 does appear to be possible as RAFR :stuck_out_tongue:

Group Captain Vorderman wears gilt number one style RAFAC pins on her working dress rank slides rather than the standard RAF Air Cadets ranks slides. I imagine the same would happen here otherwise the suppliers would need to manufacture rank tabs for just two people!

Is that not the Region Senior Staff Officer (Wg Cdr) who acts a volunteer sounding board for the RC but doesnā€™t have OC Wg faff to deal with?

2 Likes

I thought that just happened once because she forgot her new rank slides and they said it was essentially better than nothing (or no pins)

1 Like

Yeah pretty sure you can get Gp Cpt slides on Cadet Direct.

EDIT: Thereā€™s no photo, but theyā€™re on the drop down.

She must be forgetful sheā€™s been wearing them
on both times Iā€™ve met her and on photos at other events