Any Ex-Regulars at Lower Rank in RAFAC?

Rank means less to the Ex-Regs than to the off the street CFAV - one of my Officers is a Ret Flt Lt and came in as a Fg Off - but actually found it embarassing to skip Plt Off as one of my other Officers had just got their time served promotion.

1 Like

Not always, I’ve dealt with 2 with a major chip on their shoulder about rank loss/change. Granted they both NCO’s rather than Officers

1 Like

That’s a ballache! Did they stick it out?

I reverted to fg off after leaving the regulars. Confused some of the cadets seeing me with a different rank from one parade night to the next! Overall I don’t really care too much about the rank - didn’t when I was serving and found that the RAF was by far the least rank conscious service.
One thing I was surprised by was the lack of firm “quals” I brought from my regular service. However what has been really valuable is the leadership and management experience as well as credibilty. There’s lots of different types and styles of CFAV, ex regular is just one

3 Likes

I always thought Pilots who were negligent were able to have their Wings taken off them. I guess it’s more of a metaphorical “you’re not flying agan” rather than they lose the right to wear the Wings?

And you can certainly have medals removed for conduct issues

1 Like

Just thinking about transferring qualifications from previous service to the RAFAC.

If you were a DI in the RAF and then decide to retire and eventually decide to join the RAFAC, would you automatically be qualified with SSDI, SSDI (Arms), and Advanced? or would you have to re-qualify?

Given that Service Instructors have to do an AVIP, part of which is proving that you’ve learnt the basics of the RAF, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see them have to requalify.

1 Like

100% confident the first 2 would be maintained by default. Since the Adv course syllabus hasnt been released yet not too sure

3 Likes

Are our DI courses RAFAC specific? To me it would seem like teaching drill to regulars is a completely different ball game to teaching drill to children.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I’m wrong), the current DI course focuses on the AP818 way of teaching, i.e. the way regulars are taught at phase 1.

2 Likes

Pretty much.

2 Likes

I think that’s only LS&GC and that ilk, not sure about campaign medals. There used to be a bit in very old QRs (yes, I mean QRs) about having medals taken away for mental health reasons! I’ll check my 1953 edition!

If your a naughty person in the early stages of service so miss out on the good conduct aspect, but you are then good for the next 10 or 15 years, would you still qualify for a LSGC albeit delayed?

I think so, as far as I recall, you needed 15 straight years of at least ‘very good’ on the annual conduct assessment. Might have changed though. So a hiccup at the start of a career shouldn’t matter.

You can technically have a VC removed although it hasn’t been done since 1920.

I believe you now only need good conduct for the last 5 years (or so).

And the “good conduct” bit of LS&GC is no longer officially part of it.

Not confident enough to be quoted though.

Yes an old boss of mine was ex army and commissioned RAF. He had an early career disciplinary but then served 30 plus years. He ended up with both army and RAF LSGC which apparently is unique enough to make his medal rack very valuable

Yeah, as far as I’ve heard, SSDIC is essentially week 1 of the RAF DI course, SSDIC (Arms) is essentially week 2, and the advanced course might be week 3?

It would make sense that they would qualify by default but knowing this organisation, they wouldn’t be allowed to even if they wrote AP818 unless they had gone and done the course.

Plan for SSDIC (Adv) was to effectivley mop up week 3, or as far im led to believe.

There are multiple ex DIs in the org, in my experience been treated with the greatest of respect, on my DI course an ex All Arms DI was sent home on Day 1 because he didnt need to do the course and micro management at wing level made that person do the course. Common sense prevailed

3 Likes