Any Ex-Regulars at Lower Rank in RAFAC?

I know that there are many ex-regulars who have achieved a higher rank within RAFAC than thy did during their regular service. I also know of instances where former senior officers have been ranked as flying officers on AEFs (not sure about similar on VGS). However, excepting flying/gliding instructors on AEF/VGS, are there any instances of ex-regulars taking a lower rank within RAFAC? If so, how has that gone?

Air Cdr Ford?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve met plenty of ex-Reg Sqn Ldrs and Flt Lts who were lower RAFAC ranks. They all seemed relaxed about it and were really good staff. I think ex-Regs are far less rank conscious than many RAFAC staff and, unlike some Wing staff, arenā€™t motivated by ā€˜promotionsā€™.

17 Likes

I knew a WExO who was Grp Capt RAF who was then Sqn Ldr WExO if that counts?

With regards NCOs however previous service (as a regular) is recognised - i am sure someone will be able to quote to paragraph and line. I know at least one RAFAC FS who was never a Sgt, appointed at FS due to their previous rank held.
(I also know a SNCO who was only going to get a third stripe by leaving the RAF and joining the ATC!)

1 Like

It used to be years ago to be a Wing admin officer it was required you were a retired Wing commander or above , then it was lowered to squadron leader or above.

Not enough applicants.
Especially for such a low paid menial job.
Rekon in the future they could drop it to airmanā€¦

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Either we know the same one, or there were 2ā€¦ was yours in TVW by any chance?

1 Like

I think thatā€™s fair. My wing has at least one former Army WO2 who has gone into uniform as a FS (and has just been commissioned).

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that this counts as the former gp capt may have been after paid employment to top up his service pension and the sqn ldr remuneration may have counter-balanced any feelings about the drop in rank (and, as I only discovered during lockdown, the WExOs are actually accountable to the Reg Comdt rather than their OC Wg). This is a little different to being a CFAV immersed within the volunteer hierarchy.

Yes, Jon Ford seemed to bounce between gp capt and air cdre with honorary and ā€˜realā€™ responsibilities depending upon the nature of what he was dealing with.

my actual point was that he went ā€œdownā€ to wearing Fg Off tapes when he stopped being CAC and went to being a Sqn Officer

Yes, I know a RAFAC officer who has siblings who are regular RAF (senior) officers, so has a view on 'both sides of the fence. His opinion is that ex-regular SNCOs and officers are generally quite relaxed about the rank stuff, but that some ex-regular JNCOs and below view RAFAC as a way by which they can achieve the rank(s) they did not achieve during their regular service.

1 Like

Well, I never knew that. Where was he a sqn officer?

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m not making this upā€¦ but Peterborough, or somewhere close by

Donā€™t think he was Sqn Officer but definitely Civ Comm in N&S Wing and Newmarket Sqn

1 Like

no, but a friend in TVW knows of two in their Wing that were direct FS appointments so one of those might be the one you know of?
either way seems there are a few examples out thereā€¦

Direct FS appointment is quite common. Although my fellow on Sqn WO came straight in as a WO due to being previously a proper WO in the RAF

2 Likes

ooft, there are 2 ex-regular Group Captains who took a WExO position? This surprises me somewhat :thinking:

I guess based on the below it was standard once upon a timeā€¦

Seems to vary depending on the Wing. I had an ex Chief Tech go into uniform, I had to fight to get him direct appointment as a FS. He was also asked if he was aware of Sgt Mess etiquette on his Wing Board by a Sqn Ldr - who then asked what a Chief Tech was when his reply was that at x number of years as a SNCO, finishing as a Chief Tech in the RAF he understood how to behave (or not to) in the Mess!

7 Likes