Any Ex-Regulars at Lower Rank in RAFAC?

I think this is a fair comment on the negative reasons one may have for engaging in the uniformed youth organisations (regardless of whether or not they actually served in a past life).

I suppose my focus remains more on celebrating those links and highlighting that service history, which is what many cadets want to learn about and even follow when they’re older.

There are clearly valid ideas on both sides of this particular discussion though.

That’s where it gets more interesting isn’t it.

Say you take a gp capt or WO (both very senior in their respective cadres).

We let them wear everything they ever earned, but we drop them to the lowest rank possible (almost, for the gp capt).

If they’re no longer in the RAF, surely the consistent approach would be removing all of it then?

Not trying to be flippant. Just trying to explore the various arguments to their logical end point.

I do agree. I’m not in favour of automatic time served Flt Lt in our organisation (albeit the CCF still has it IIRC) but the idea of keeping it if earned through being in a Flt Lt post for a certain number of years, maybe 3, makes sense. Suspect there are a fair few Flt Lts or higher in Wing berths because they don’t want to drop back to Fg Off.

It could be acting unpaid, and I really don’t see what harm it would cause (and SNCOs don’t drop rank).

2 Likes

That is indeed the other side of the issue.

You want people to devote time and then take a break as required in order that they remain in for the long term.

There’s a risk in attaching the limited recognition people receive to the intensity of the role they currently perform. But again, it wouldn’t be so bad if it was flt lt.

The issue I take is that it is OF1, a rank level that broadcasts that you’re not very experienced.

1 Like

Even at a local level liaising with the ACF they are 1-2 ranks up. For contacts outside cadets* I’m dealing with a similar difference, at least, and higher still if government, education and industry types are taken into account.

*ETA: people who aren’t in the cadet forces who I have to liaise with to arrange things for cadets

1 Like

You cannot remove things which have been awarded such as brevet’s, medals or qualifications, even in a disciplinary situation.

Apologies, I meant not permitting for wear on the basis that it’s not the RAF, running with the point initially made.

I of course agree that once earned, it’s earned (as is the rank, remaining in place (albeit retired rank)).

Some are not concerned at all;

5 Likes

To be fair though, says “AM Sean Reynolds” lol

But Cadet Bloggs, or CI Jones, or Flt Lt Smith who turn up to an airfield for a days gliding/flying in 2 months time won’t know that, all they’ll see is a Fg Off in his fifties, and they’ll interact with him on that level - and very obviously, he’s quite happy with that…

2 Likes

He may wear Flying Officer but he’s got nothing to prove now has he. Good on him.

1 Like

It says that because he is, and always will be an AM RAF.

RAFAC is a related, but different organisation. When on RAFAC duty he will be referred to as Fg Off Reynolds.

3 Likes

Why would the same not be true when talking about AOC 22 group? Is it because they are directly related to RAFAC?
Equally aren’t AEFs tied to UAS, which is regular RAF?

Happens all the time. I remember meeting Fg Off Sir Roger Austin at 6AEF.

1 Like

AFAIK when he flies with the AEF he’s doing so as a serving RAF officer, he doesn’t hold a cadet forces commission.

As this is for service with 6FTS will it not be a Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve commission rather than RAFAC? He’ll hold his regular RAF commission in the rank of Air Marshal with a Volunteer Reserve commission in the Training Branch as a Flying Officer for service with the UAS/AEF. My understanding was that this is the case so that the ordinary chain of command within the flying unit isn’t affected. Sqn Ldr UAS boss/ Flt Lt AEF Commander’s orders can’t be superseded by their subordinate pilots pulling the rank card.

MB

2 Likes

It will be - the RAF relies on having an exemption on pilot licensing (i.e. pilots don’t need to hold a UK-FCL licence) for military pilots flying civilian aircraft, so AEF pilots need to be military and having them RAFVR achieves that. (CFC doesn’t.)

RAFAC gliders are on the military register, so ironically that means that CFC is adequate to fly them.

1 Like

UAS’ are RAFVR, not regular RAF, however regular RAF may serve on them.

3 Likes

Except I didn’t think you could hold a 2 commissions if one was Regular? AM Reynolds is on LinkedIn as having several jobs, including flying instructor and commercial pilot. My guess is that as AONI, he’s a reservist, after all, it’s pretty much a ceremonial role.

1 Like

Quite correct, appears he retired from regular service in 2018. Took up the AONI post and honorary ADC from 1st January 2019 with the RAFR followed by a RAFVR (Training Branch) commission on 28th February 2020. Noticeably with a completely different service number, I would have thought he would have retained his regular one.

MB