You know what really makes me laugh?

Bet you a shiny Penny that he does, especially if the Democrats don’t learns and put up another unelectable candidate.

5 Likes

I get the impression that he has rejuvenated sectors of US industry that cannot be a bad thing, whatever he has said or done.
He hasn’t been afraid to tackle things he sees as an issue and in doing so is doing what every politician tries to do … play to their audience.
I think the Democrats like Labour in the UK try to be and nice and cuddly and forget their core vote. They’ll stand a chance if they ditch the Clintons, who seem to want to be Kennedy’s Mk2.

1 Like

What sectors? The US economy has done OK under him in that unemployment has fallen, but it was falling anyway. His keenness to start a trade war isn’t going to help if he gets his way either.

But when you look at how something like cheap steel from China affects all manner of industries, if by making it dearer and US steel more viable economically, what’s so bad. Look at how the British steel industry was affected (although not the only factor) by cheap steel from abroad.

After driving through a lot of Ohio and Pennsylvania, I doubt they could get a lot of the steel industry running again.

It was Britain that vetoed the proposed EU tariff on steel. Try blaming that on Brussels…

I, however, am laughing at a Mail headline i saw today stating that it’s going to be “hotter than Ibiza during 3 week heatwave”.

Trump’s “exoneration” reminded me of that moment in Pirates of the Caribbean when Jack says “there’ll be no living with her [Elizabeth] after this.”

We are all Jack now. Trump being shown to be right is going to be awful.

1 Like

I have genuinely laughed at some of the reactions to Trunp doing stuff, (Trade Tarriffs, Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem and the ongoing attempt to build a wall across the Rio-Grande), not because they are funny but because they were all manifesto pledges and now people are suprosed he’s actually doing it.

2 Likes

The ending of changing the clocks twice a year across the eu seems to be another eu mess of confusion. On the face of it, it looks straightforward and simple. But no, such is the disarray within eu decisions, countries across the eu can do it or not do it but with no consistency, so countries could be upto 3 hours in front or behind a neighbouring country.
Oh for the happy day we finally cut the ties to this administrative behemoth.

1 Like

are you suggesting leaving the EU will mean our clock’s wont change each year?

I think he’s misunderstood what the decision means. The EU have decided to abolish the twice yearly changes, and each member state can choose whether it remains on Summer or Winter time (permanently.) So, no. Countries won’t be able to choose whether or not to use daylight savings time, going forwards, and I doubt that they would choose to be three hours apart, because it would make trade really difficult.

The reasons are that mainly people don’t like changing twice a year, and that there have been studies which suggest that it can have a deleterious effect on our health, (I saw one study which suggested it increases the risk of stroke during the transition!)

You should know better than to use logic against him by now…

2 Likes

you’ve left me confused…

and then said

which is it?

either way I have also seen studies which indicate staying permanently on GMT+1 would benefit the majority of the UK, mental health (seeing more daytime) reduced traffic incidents (more driving in daylight), increased production, manufacturing, trade the lot…

Ah, yeah I could have been clearer.

They have to pick a timezone, but can’t swap between summer and winter time during a year. So they could choose to stay on permanent summer time, or permanent winter time, but not to continue to change in March and October between the two.

1 Like

I don’t understand why that’s a decision for a supra-national body rather than a national one.

1 Like

Because Time and its synchronisation has always been within its purview.

You could say the same thing about time nationally. Before the railways required national synchronisation, each town would synchronise to local midday. We still have a clock in Bristol which has an extra hand which runs 10 minutes behind London time. Why should I lose ten minutes of sunshine because London happens to be 2 degrees further east than me?
As the world gets smaller, international trade needs greater synchronisation, that’s why Europe has only three time zones. Time is vital to trade, it’s why Samoa in 2011 moved themselves days ahead by putting themselves on the opposite side of the International Date Line, so that they could trade more easily with their closest trading partners in Australia and New Zealand.
If you let individual countries choose their own timezones you end up with all sorts of weird results, like how Spain is realistically an hour out because Franco wanted to sync up with Nazi Germany! (And there are other more modern examples of dictators choosing time because it shows their power!)

1 Like

like North Korea being 30minutes behind South Korea as a decision by Kim Jong Un

1 Like

Or historical reasons, such as Newfoundland, Canada, who adopted their own scheme as they were a separate dominion at the time (2.5 / 3.5 hrs on summer / winter time).

India = IST (India Standard Time) = they don’t change summer / winter time. However, still informal Chaibagaan tea garden time in Assam, one hr difference from IST.

Heaven help us if countries use different time zones in the EU!

I thought it was 30 years…

1 Like

I haven’t misunderstood it at all. It just amazes me that the eurocrats are opening it up to such a complete and utter farce. They should have said wef this is what is happening, but that would mean 27 countries agreeing. But then it is the eu “parliament” for want of a word, a farce in itself.

I wonder if sometimes HQAC model themselves on Brussels.