You know what really makes me laugh?

Well said. Couldn’t have said it any better my self.

1 Like

I don’t honestly believe that the WO in question would ever set out to make a cadet cry (if they did they wouldn’t be in the org), it is a bit of fun around a stereotype - if anything they are poking fun at themselves; grumpy miserable old WOs…

2 Likes

Yep …and what next …they will have to say please after every drill instruction in case somebody is offended by all the nasty shouting!!
…world is going PC crazy!!

(Yes I am an old fuddy duddy who thought it was much better in his day! :wink: )

2 Likes

Strange isn’t it that those most likely to call people snowflakes are typically the ones that are most offended by things (typically the world moving forward and them not willing to).

In the ATC, drill instructions have never been shouted at (unless by the terminally stupid) and I fail to see how shouting at someone would help them correct their mistaks.

I think I’ve raised my voice in anger maybe twice in my adult life and one of them was probably at my toddler to stop hitting the dog…

1 Like

Well your probably right …

…lets hope so because the way its all going any sort of military themed training will I believe in the next few years or so become taboo …and will be severly change organisations like the ATC / ACF / SCC etc…

(And I never said anybody was shouting at someone to correct mistakes …I said whilst giving drill instructions …and good luck doing that on a decent size parade square with various ambient noises /strong wind without raising your voice above Sgt Wilson level!!)

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has an issue with shouting to be heard. But nice reductio ad absurdum

4 Likes

I’ve only seen one justified use of angry shouting in cadets. And that was towards a cadet pratting about on a range. The shouting stopped the moment the safety issue was resolved, albeit the legitimate bollocking continued

2 Likes

What happened to Clear, Loud, As an order, with Pauses?

1 Like

You think a Stn Cdr would want the reputational damage of allowing the mistreatment of children and/or volunteers, blighting their view of the RAF? And then be responsible for wilfully blocking their access to experiences that could inspire them to join? Do you think that would sit well with the Air Officers?

Maybe the SWO wouldn’t get the instant sack, but they wouldn’t be flavour of the month when review came around.

A few years ago I met a Stn Cdr without realising who he was. He was just a guy in civvies chatting informally to some other guys that were running the on-station go kart track.

Many years ago as a cadet I met an AAC WO running some parade prep. We were watching from the sidelines without invite, bricking ourselves as this absolute unit of a man stormed towards us. Nice guy, spoke to us about what they were doing, asked us questions with genuine interest, and answered ours until we had to go.

On many camps, I’ve seen the SWO and/or their DI team interact excellently with respect, empathy, and humour with CFAV and cadets.

As for shouting, 15 years ago I witnessed a Halton DI practically sing his drill commands.

Your impression of what leadership looks like in the military is too far outdated to purely be borne of naivety. I know many CFAV that were slow (or refused) to let go of the Bad Lads’ Army approach which put us way behind the parent services in terms of attitude, but I thought we were mostly through that and many despite their approach recognised that it wasn’t truly reflective of the RAF experience.

I didn’t realise some still thought this was the reality.

7 Likes

Loud =/= shouting

I wouldn’t describe it as a shout when teaching how to project a voice loud enough to be heard while maintaining clarity.

Describing it as a shout gives the wrong impression on how the sounds is formed and should, well, sound.

1 Like

Maybe we should get back to things that make us laugh?

1 Like

Dinosaurs.

Some have very silly names.

5 Likes

Did you know that T-Shirt is actually an abbreviated version of Tyrannosaurus Shirt… … because of the short arms.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

One of my Cadets has done Bronze DofE with school but is doing Silver with the ATC.

Having moved the account across to add Silver I decided to have a look at what had been done for Bronze. Turns out they had used being in the Squadron band for skill (nothing new there loads do), but the assessors report had been written by a random Corporal. (As opposed to the Drum Major or the Staff member who runs the band)

All above board and quite a well written assessors report too, but I’ve been looking for an NCO deputy, looks like they have just volunteered :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Great to see the punishment fit the crime. Woman who assaulted Chipotle worker sentenced to fast food job for two months - BBC News

1 Like

Might be Germany or possibly some subdivision of Scandi, but I’ve definitely heard of somewhere where they take driving offenders to RTCs.

3 Likes

In one place in the US they took youths found to carrying knives to the local mortuary to see the real effects of knife crime.

In 2001, they tried this in London, looks as if it has had no effect.

In Liverpool, medics go around the schools talking about the effects of knife crime, they invariably have a few who don’t last the lesson out.

Where we are nightclubs, some pubs and taxis carry immediate aid kits for knife trauma.

ETA, what would staff do if they found a cadet on the Squadron carrying a knife which wasn’t authorised??

It would be nice to have more sentencing options like this.
Weirdly, sometimes the harshest sentences go to people who don’t have alcohol or drug issues, because there’s nothing probation can work with them on.

Deterrent as a concept generally doesn’t work in my experience, because it requires a logical thought process to weigh the deterrent into the decision.

Whereas most crimes are either illogical decisions, done on impulse or emotion, without stopping to think of the deterrent, or, everyone thinks they’ll be the exception, and ignores it anyway.

2 Likes

How many crimes are for gain through fraud, or power such as grooming or domestic abuse whether physical, mental, financial or sexual and then there are those such as the Moors murderers through sexual perversion or sexual abusers whether alone or in a group, or misogyny/misandry? The vast majority are neither impulse or emotion but planned criminality despite the penalties potentially available.

1 Like