You know what really makes me laugh?

Its origins aren’t lost on me.

I’ve been around long enough to know that people who joke about this stuff think it’s acceptable, and often a status to which they might aspire.

It’s exactly the same as sexist jokes normalising sexist behaviours, which in turn lead to sexist maltreatment.

Things you say and joke about, especially as a group, lead to behavioural change.

Strikes me as a major over reaction. But ok!

1 Like

Which is total nonesense. The same as laughing at any dark humour.

Many laugh at jokes of all sorts of nature. Sometimes even at jokes we know we shouldn’t find funny, but we do!

Shock horror the holy than thou even on this forum working for the police and other agencies probably raise a smile at the most wildly inappropriate things. It keeps them sane in the face of the most abject nasty things you could imagine.

2 Likes

Why would any regular SWO (or frankly any regular of any rank) aspire to make a CFAV cry? What a bizarre and immature thing to aim for.

My experience of regular SNCOs and WOs hasn’t been anything like that - with exceptions being bullies who weren’t/aren’t worthy of the rank.

1 Like

Not quite what I was shooting for. It was a bit hypothetical. Get on the wrong side of our local SWO’s I know and you’ll be left with short thrift. And I don’t think they’d be too bothered if you didn’t like their approach - rather than being too literal.

They sound like

Frankly I have no time for that type of person. If they came near my cadets or staff with that attitude they’d discover they were no longer welcome at my unit or any event we attend.

1 Like

That may be the case, but when you need to use their station…

2 Likes

If we’re talking about regulars then that’s an even worse attitude
Plus, it’s not their station however much they may want to think it is. I’d happily take the matter up with the Station Commander if the SWO was being an utter to cadets/CFAVs.
Valid discipline for misbehaving is fine, but going beyond that and being a bully is a different matter

2 Likes

I’d agree, but the reality is very different. If I want to book onto station you have to keep the staff happy. The SWO is appointed for a reason, a CFAV moaning about the SWO will go down like a bucket of cold sick.

Sometimes we have to live with real world situations rather than fluffy air cadet / civil service, sheltered ideals.

1 Like

Not any more - in the police if you have a dark joke made in front of you & you don’t challenge or report it, you are likely to be facing the sack.

The culture has moved on - rapidly so & what was acceptable & lauded even five years ago will now likely to result in instant dismissal.

“Banter” is now considered a form of bullying & is not acceptable anymore in any form. Yes this might make things a bit po faced & humourless but this is the current standards

they will only hold the post for three years max, they are not the station cdr & an email to HR & personnel & said WO will be tied up in paperwork for the rest of their (rapidly shortening) air force career.

Unfortunately for HQAC & the wider RAF the volunteers have entered SkyNet phase & are now self aware. This means the deference that use to be given is no longer there & a SWO will just be regarded as a shouty bod in a hat.

Most regular RAF WO have got with the program - however the ATC WO have yet to catch up & I can see with all the changes a purge is coming…

1 Like

No we don’t. We should all be calling out people who behave inappropriately regardless of their status. In fact, the higher their status the more we have a duty to call it out. Do what’s right, not what’s easy.

I’d say my attitude comes down to my job, where I see the toxic effects of people like that and am privileged enough to call things as I see them with basically no consequences, but I’ve always been like that, even when there were potential consequences.

5 Likes

Such a hero. The hero that would lead to no more bookings on our local station!

1 Like

No it wouldn’t. Not if you do it properly through the correct channels.

1 Like

No it wouldnt as said blocker would be sacked - paid staff want a quiet life, volunteers can create merry hell - a couple of letters to the local MP and said SWO gets put on the naughty step (although as a fair point, good will & extras will not be there but wait three years and the people blocking will be gone)

What planet are you on, that a long serving RAF WO will get the sack over a few disgruntled CFAV?

Join us in the real world!

Easier to stop cadets on station by a country mile.

1 Like

Welcome to the 2020s!

Long serving means they are on their way out, means they will soon to cease to have value & these days you get brownie points for dobbing people who are not “equality & diversity compliant”. If the chain of command won’t listen the local press will certainly do.

Moving back The initial post that sparked this side debate was regarding an ATC WO rather than a regular but the point stands - under the current culture such behaviour is challengeable & if you don’t challenge you will be found as equally guilty as an enabler.

Now doesn’t this Make us all Happy* :smiley:

(*upon penalty of death)

1 Like

Charge me guilty now, like the minority report. I’ll get my coat. Another staff member down!

1 Like

Minority Report is the wrong movie (& also a fairly terrible one too)

Ah yes, as everything that disagrees is far right. Even a joke slogan on a flask - I understand now. Consider me educated…

Back to that original moan :joy: goodness me.

2 Likes

Naked bar was “still funny” about 10 years ago, now people are rightfully being charged with offences in the courts.

I’m not here to hate on you, but I will urge you to reflect on the discussion we’re having.

Everyone will have a moment where something they used to do makes a transition from acceptable to not. It’s necessary that we reflect on why that change has occurred and genuinely try to understand it.

It’s normally because, at its core, is the mistreatment of others (or the continuation of an attitude that enables such mistreatment).

As for the very good point above, banter was always bullying dressed up, with your “flash point” being an occasion for further ridicule, rather than an apology for pushing too far.

Another behaviour which belongs in the bin.

8 Likes