You know what really makes me laugh?

For two tambourines and three triangles like the application suggests?

1 Like

Put something that doesn’t need heated storage in there and the instruments in the hut. When I was a cadet we had band instruments in the hut and everything else as well and we had a lot of kit, which got used, ie no vanity purchases

On R4 this morning a Sqn Ldr involved in RAF 100 stuff, said the RAF was formed by the joining of the Royal Naval Air Service and something called the Royal Air Flying Corps. It made sitting in traffic more bearable.

That officer needs thrashed and remedial RAF history training.

1 Like

implying that there is a Royal Ground Flying Corps? :joy:

I think that accurately describes us at the moment!

3 Likes

Obviously never sat through a GSK lecture in basic training.

1 Like

Or Basic Cadet training in the ATC.

At the rate we are going we will be re-opening RAF Germany and dusting off the plans for WE 177 and how stop GSFG wanting a summer holiday on the French coast.

“North-east clairvoyant shocked after fraudster impersonated her and tried to con people out of cash”

Pot. Kettle!

3 Likes

Great, now I need a new irony meter.

There was a story on the radio that apparently GCSE students can’t tell the time on analogue clocks and teachers want to put digital clocks up so they don’t get distracted having to work out how long they have left in exams. FFS.
Why is it then that the majority cadets seem to have oversized analogue watches.

Because the people that choose to come to cadets aren’t thicko’s?

I heard that on the radio too (as long as you listen to 3cr :wink: ) and thought that the main bonus will be that the presenter that couldn’t tell the time will miss out on a world of great watches!

Telling the time is a skill (albeit a basic one) but how many skills which we teach in cadets do we take for granted thinking all adults will know (such as reading a map or dining room etiquette)?

I went out of my way to buy a watch with analogue hands to re-train myself to instinctively read an analogue clock face. I had been wearing digital watches since P4. The new watch still has a small, digital screen, just in case!

Immersion is often the best way to get people accustomed to a thing, so schools should use more analogue clocks rather than fewer.

The same concept applies to commonly used measurements: It is high time that we stopped also giving weather reports in Fahrenheit and “encouraged” everybody to adapt.

It was on R4 as well.

Why?

The point of the story was saying how kids are now used to seeing time displayed digitally on computers and phones.

Do you really think their use of such things is going to decrease after they leave school?

Yes, immersion is the best way to learn, but you’re reading that the wrong way - they already have learned, they’ve had the immersion. Exams are stressful enough thanks to our generation saying they matter for everything, that we don’t need to add another source of stress.

All our kids could tell the time (to quarter hours) by the time they started school, it’s not difficult.

They still need to know how to correlate fractions to a digital display. If you say you have to be home by quarter past or quarter to, you’d need to know they are 15 and 45 respectively. If they said the exam finished at quarter past 2, they’d need to know it would say 2:15 or 14:15 on the display.

When you walk around how many large digital clocks do you see? They are much nicer to look at than some blocky numbers, with a blinking colon.

What is your end-goal here? Do you want people to be able to read the time easily from a standard clock face, or are you not concerned with that intuitive skill being developed?

It is not difficult for most people to read numbers on a digital display. It isn’t really a separate talent.

The issue isn’t about the immersion, it is about whether the lack of a digital timepiece specifically in an exam setting is adding unnecessary stress. Perhaps it should be considered as part of the exam itself. :smiling_imp:

:clock830:

Yes, that’s what I’m most bothered about, what looks nice…

As long as they can tell the time I don’t care how they do it.
If they’ve learnt digitally, then give them the time digitally. Just like the rest of the world will.

What makes me laugh is the constant fascination the supposed adults of today have with making the youth of today feel and sound stupid because they’re different.

Another aspect of the analogue display is the relational context of the clock face as opposed to the mono digital display. I would say the thing they don’t like in schools is that the ticking of the clock is relentless and you can see time physically ticking away, you know like we look at the clock at work and think just an hour to go before lunch and seeing going home time getting closer. Don’t get with a digital display.
People of all ages opt for an analogue clock face display on their phones if it allows.

I had digital watches from about the age of 13 to early 20s, but it was new tech then and exciting and when I recorded records onto tapes the stopwatch function was an amazing concept. My wife to be bought me a new watch and I’ve had analogue ones ever since. The two clocks we have in the house an old 8 day mantle clock and a bedside clock. We have digital displays on the microwave and central heating.