You know what really makes me happy?

Interesting, didn’t know that :slightly_smiling_face:

Can you imagine the press when a Police Officer doesn’t believe little Missus Miggins that she has an illness, the guardian would have a meltdown.

1 Like

My mum had COPD and can’t wear a mask and has an exemption card, I think the travel authority provided it during the first lockdown. She used to insist on still wanting to go shopping once a week just to get out the house but I’ve told her she can wait until she’s vaccinated now and she can text me her list. Adding a photo to whatsapp is apparently a step too far 🤷

And with them freely available on Amazon and eBay, loads who aren’t exempt have managed it too!

Although making me happy today, seeing a headteacher sending a child home from school because parent lied about being a keyworker!!! Said parent is also dubiously “exempt” from wearing a face mask!!!

2 Likes

That kid will be back in school next week due to “social worker involvement”

Most people who are too lazy to wear a mask are too lazy to buy a lanyard. We had a great one the other day who had a mask round his chin and then claimed to be medically exempt! That will be £200 thanks.

The sunflower lanyard isn’t for indicating mask exemption anyway, it’s for indicating hidden disabilities. Not all hidden disabilities prevent wearing a mask

1 Like

My daughter’s school are using it with their sixth form and top performers to get the kids that have a chance of getting into university/good GCSE grades in so they can have more evidence in the event of arguing the grades as it’s a school in a deprived area where English is second language to the majority of pupils.

i was shopping a few weeks ago and a lady was wearing a badge “medically exempt from masking wearing” like it was a birthday badge “happy 30th birthday Mandy” would not have looked out of place on her saucer sized badge…(ironically if she pinned it to her face it would have been an ideal mask given its size)

Costco have said they won’t let anyone in without a mask regardless. If you can’t wear a mask due to medical exemption they expect you to wear a visor

1 Like

Visors are still problematic for some with mental health issues

Yeah I know… But I think its the way it’s going

Yeah… erm… would love to know where they stand on that.

Dont get me wrong. If you’re too vulnerable so cant wear a mask, dont go out.

But the police enforce the law. Not shop security guards.

Maybe the legal beagles on here can answer this though, as the shops are private property do they have the right to bar people on that basis, or is that on dodgy ground too, as supermarkets etc are almost a public amenity.

If people could just behave for 21 days the virus would be suppressed immensely. Even 14 would do enough.

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

They’d be at risk of unlawful discrimination if they don’t accept a valid medical exemption without good cause. But there’s a whole host of “ifs” and “buts” so hard to advise on the hypothetical without doing a full (and boring for everyone else) opinion

1 Like

Effective 23.12.20, we will require all members, guests and employees to wear a face covering (that covers the nose and mouth) at all Costco warehouse locations. Entry to Costco will only be granted to those wearing a face mask or a face shield. Children under the age of 11 are exempt. Please note that the additional requirement to wear a face shield for children over the age of 11 does not affect the requirement in Scotland for children age 5 and over to wear a face covering

Costco has had a face covering policy in effect since 24.04.20, but members who could not wear a face mask due to a medical condition were exempt. This is no longer the case. If a member/guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must instead wear a face shield. The use of a face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises.

Whilst this updated policy may seem inconvenient for some, we believe that the added safety is worth any inconvenience. Our goal is to continue to provide a safe shopping environment for our members and guests, and to provide a safe work environment
for our employees.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Louie Silveira
Vice President and Country Manager
Costco UK & Iceland

I suppose they would make the argument that your medical condition doesn’t trump their responsibility for the safety indeed the very lives of their staff.

1 Like

That’s why there’s a whole host of ifs and buts.

I have done 78km in a week towards the Cosford 100K - however I got new walking shoes for Christmas so recovering from a few blisters before I do the last 12km. I have also signed up for the RAF Museum 500km - has to be completed before May, but I am going to aim for 70km minimum per week. All of the fun.

As supermarkets are “licenced premises” I would have thought they had a “R.O.A.R” (right of admission reserved) basis for not allowing people in. They are not a public service.

The BBC has said:

But enforcement of face coverings is officially a police responsibility.

However, supermarkets can deny entry to their premises which is private property, and can call the police if someone refuses to follow the rules or becomes abusive.