You know what really makes me happy?

Looks like Kent’s Nijmegen team set off for their first day of walking about 2 hours ago! I’m glad that even if things are a bit of a cluster over there, there’s stilll happy cadets cracking on!

9 Likes

2 year career break has been approved.

12 Likes

Ace, what are you doing with that time?

Actual career?
…feel free not to answer this… but… paid?

If yes… i need to change industry!

1 Like

Going to focus on my tribunal role with the aim of applying to go salaried at the end of my break (it’s more of a delayed resignation with an option to return if I decide I don’t like doing solely judicial work).

Will also finish off my bachelor of divinity and chaplaincy ordination training - long term plan of joining the Army reserve or ACF as a chaplain.

More importantly I’ll get some “me time” during the week to relax without Mrs F or the kids

7 Likes

Disregard my Qs. Answered above.

Cool beans :+1:

1 Like

No. Not paid. I keep my death in service and it doesn’t break my employment for redundancy calculations (but the time off is ignored) but no pay sadly. I’ll also miss out on the lump sum for the delayed payrise but that’s such a pittance that it’s not a deal breaker.

I had a friend who worked for Tearfund (a charity) who got a paid 6month sabbatical after 10 years working there. Couldn’t help thinking it wasn’t the best use of charity money

1 Like

I think businesses etc should do more long service award, so that those who do stay get something. Where I worked we had 15, 25 and 40 year awards, the 25 was 1½ months pay tax free. Didn’t quite get the 40 which was a “gift” up to £2500. Which had gone up incrementally over the years.

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but I remember talking to an Aussie who said a lot of places in Oz would give a 3 month paid holiday after 10 years, which many used to do long overseas holiday. Which I thought was a good incentive.

I just prefer working for someone who treats be right every week, not just on a work-anniversary!

Simple things like my boss buys us Breakfast every Friday. Over 40 years that’s hitting £12k, rather than a £2500 bonus :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

We get Friday breakfast when in the office every week, Friday Bar last friday of each month and tax free long service awards starting at £500 for 5 years then in £250 increments for each additional 5 years but ultimatley its the people and culture that aid retention for the most part.

3 Likes

I’m in the wrong job then, mind you they don’t notice how much time I spend doing RAFAC stuff…

7 Likes

Long service awards come after a set period, but they do other things in between that companies cough up for.
I quite like that after so many years there is something extra for your efforts.
As for a Friday breakfast, unless it’s full English, it’s not breakfast, not that you’d turn it down. If we did overtime we’d get free meal chits and the most popular was a full breakfast.
As the years went on the number of recipients fell as people became more transient.

MMH, finally replaced my slow 11year old macbook :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing some Air Rifle IWT this morning, all passed.

Coupled with some retests this week, will now be looking forward to taking them through some Live Firing Marksmanship Training in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Afternoon naps and also 3 days working in an actual office next week in london town

1 Like

The MCU announcements at SDCC

2 Likes

Its made me giddy. Also walking dead spin offs!

Toying with the idea of going at somepoint

2 Likes

@RAFACTRT on Twitter :+1::+1:

6 Likes

Ohhh, @anon59391077 it’s looking interesting!

Thanks! We’ve got so much to do, but now I’ve got a team together we can get lots more stuff done :slight_smile: . We’re hoping to replicate the success of the amazing VSDT!

2 Likes