You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Theres a note on sharepoint saying pearsons or edexcel which ever it is arent actioning these during covid. Due staff pressures.

Do you have a link for that please?

I will dig it out and post link shortly.
Just out and about at mo and sharepoint isnt exactly ace on my phoneā€¦

I came across it as inwas searching for btec info last week.
Used search on HQAC page, just searched for ā€œaviation studiesā€ it was on first page.

1 Like

So the ACTO has been updated to say

So we can still claim, they just wonā€™t arrive yet. But Iā€™m unsure why. The rest of the world is working, and after all we are paying for this service through subs are we not? I could understand that they wouldnā€™t action them from March-May during the first lockdown but why canā€™t they now?

3 Likes

Yes, you are right - sorry. Need to get back to it to blow the cobwebs out!

1 Like

Thanks saved me a job

Update - the email address you have to send requests to wasnā€™t staffed and hadnā€™t been for a while. But on the plus side someone is going back through the hundreds of emails to acknowledge them and start working towards it with a plan.

2 Likes

is this the email address for Bader helpdesk??

HQAC publically: ā€œweā€™re closing the helpdesk portal, please now email for the foreseeable futureā€

HQAC privately: ermā€¦has anyone been assigned to look after that inbox?

No. It was the BTEC specific one, which is now staffed again.

1 Like

Erm what now?

1 Like

What newspaper was that in?

Iā€™m interested in getting get a copy.

Todayā€™s telegraph

1 Like

that is impressiveā€¦

excuse the mixed units in what comes:

lets assume the Hawk was travelling at 250kts* (463kph) which is ~1km every 10seconds** which lets be honest is quick.

based on the highway code the ā€œthinking timeā€ for breaking distances is 0.675 second (ie reaction time) our Hawk pilot will have travelled 312m in that ā€œthinking timeā€ā€¦and so would be able to spot a drone lets say at 400m distance awayā€¦

now i am thinking of my shooting days and when on a Long Range ~300m would I be able to spot a drone at the target from the firing point? - probably.

would i be able to do that approaching the firing point at 250kts?? ie less than a second before ā€œimpactā€ :thinking: that would be impressive

and yes I am bored WFHā€¦!

*given this is the fastest speed below 10,000ft without permission. I accept it could have had permission and been faster, but lets stick with the slower speeds.

**my workings
250kts = 463kph
463kph /60 = 7.7km per min
7.7 / 6 = 1.2 km per 10s

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget to take into account the conversion from IAS to TAS.
Then also Headwind / Tailwind
:grin:

Depending on closing rate / relative crossIng angle, I doubt it very much, even if the approximate point in space was known / predicted.

The Hawkā€™s speed - if booked into an LFA, maybe 360 kts (nice round maths for time / distance / speed calculations too).

exactly the point i was making.

if stood at the 300m point and knew where to look, could a Drone be spotted? Iā€™m pretty sure it could be.

the article indicates ā€œdirectly ahead and same levelā€ so just taking into account the closing speedā€¦no chance i suggest in spotting it even if the position was known!

There is a lot of work going into a TCAS system for the Hawk fleet.

Iā€™ve been involved in trials work with the fast jet fleet for a few years. At the speed they are going, one simulation had the pilot observing the potential collision and by the time they had made the input to the controls they were already past the obstacle.

Itā€™s amazing seeing some of the videos of low level airprox, and just how close they get.

3 Likes

Tier 4 crushing my Christmas plans.

Edit Iā€™d obviously rather have this than Covid but still frustrating not being able to see family!

1 Like

Being mid way through planning the first White Water paddle since before Lockdown 2, when Wales announce a snap lockdownā€¦

Mark Drakeford. Must be in the pocket of the supermarkets. Closing all non-essential shops on the last weekend before Christmas.

1 Like