You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

TPS stops some, but not the international ones that spoof their number.

1 Like

A surprising number are done from english call centres

How did that end?

I would hate to be asked that way!

I got Glasgow the other day, or at least my phone said it was from Glasgow and spam so it went unanswered.

Some companies have an ID that pops up when you ring. It would be good (possibly, I’ve literally only just thought of it so haven’t weighed it up) if you could get that for personal calls (like when you put someone in your contacts) and their name pops up. The library have a couple of different numbers and I keep ignoring their calls as I’ve not bothered to put their name in. Obviously you’d still want the option to be able to hide your number.

Edit: GMG when companies use multiple different phone numbers or if you finally get through to a call line and they ask you to call another number.

Smart Call (which is Samsung technology but I’d be surprised Android / other manufacturers are starting do to this) is starting to do that - it will tell you who what company is calling even if it’s just a number and you don’t have the number saved

I believe she said yes

Always good telling have your been involved in an accident calls.

Well yes I have mr A Deer hit my car.

Have had up to 30 minute discussion with them. The best was a friends grand father who got a call from
BT about broad band. That was 45 minutes long.

1 Like

As a teenager I would chat for ages about double glazing with cold callers, how big the house was, the costs etc. Then when they thought they had me I’d say something like “I just need to check with my mummy that she’s happy to spend the money”.

2 Likes

My best for winding up scam callers is the people pretending to be from Windows saying something wrong with your computer. They essentially are praying on the computer-illiterate. The scam always follows the same script:

1. Call someone, say their computer has gone wrong.
  2. Get them to download some kind of remote access software.
  3. Show them event viewer which to someone who doesn’t know better makes it look like they’s loads of errors on your computer.
  4. Offer them some kind of great deal to fix it.
  5. Steal their money.
  6. If they don’t want to pay, encrypt their data and hold it to ransom.

It’s a system that sadly works very well, and a lot of people seem to fall for it.
If you get a call from these guys and have the time/know how, you can really f- mess with them and waste a lot of time. I used to get calls from them all the time and would just put the phone down but that got annoying so instead I did the following.
I just pretended I was completely computer-illiterate so did everything really slowly. While I was being ‘slow’ I got a virtual machine running so I’d have a safe space for them to remote into. Went through the whole script with them as slowly as possible. The script however screwed up as when he opened up event viewer there was nothing there as it was a completely fresh Windows install. Still tried to get money out of me, I just kept making up card numbers until he got angry and realised he’d been played for the last 90 minuets.

2 Likes

A vm, a vpn, and a lot of patience.

Awkward all around otherwise!

I get very frustrated by chuggers. I had one in the street a couple of weeks ago. He was quite young and was clearly trying far too hard, particularly when I was getting more annoyed. I only stopped as he said he had vouchers but then I only would have got them if I signed up for the broadband or whatever it was.

The door to door ones are more annoying as I feel you can’t quite ignore them in the same way - if you make the mistake of answering the door of course!

Well, when you are in quarters, with metal framed windows…

After a while, didn’t have the heart to delay him too long, the geezer took it quite well when we said we would have to ask the landlord - Aunty Betty!! :laughing:

1 Like

My Cyberpunk 2077 being delivered with a corrupted disc

2 Likes

Ouch!

Raging is an underestimation

I’ve had no power all day so had to put off the install until this evening

You got the actual disk?! Did it not just come with a Steam download code?

Ignore that entirely lol. As I posted I remembered consoles exist… :grimacing: :grimacing:

#XboxForLifeYo

Nah, PC all the way :wink:

1 Like

I keep eyeing up a new gaming pc but fairly sure boss lady would slaughter me if I spent a couple of Gs on a new rig

1 Like

I don’t currently have anyone to judge me for spending silly money so did exactly that at the beginning of lockdown one! Slightly regret it now with newly released hardware that’s come out in the last month is pretty amazing. But you have to bite the bullet at some point I guess!

1 Like