You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Just been offered a free PTTLLS course…over the same dates I’m booked on SCC. Now do I cancel SCC…

Clearly you cancel SCC

After comments on other threads I had another look at the 2013-2020 strategy and apart from one 50000+ cadets by 2018, there are no timelines or milestones to show that the objectives are being / will be achieved, thus no one up the chain can be held to account.

At Wing Conference The Boss said that she had told the RAF that she no longer wanted to focus on cadet number increases, or target figures of 50,000. HQAC’s focus instead should be on staff recruitment and retention. The logic being that if you focus on cadet recruitment with no extra staff the service won’t be good enough to maintain that figure. If you focus on staff recruitment the staff recruit the cadets for them. Made sense.

At Wing Conference The Boss said that she had told the RAF that she no longer wanted to focus on cadet number increases, or target figures of 50,000. HQAC’s focus instead should be on staff recruitment and retention. The logic being that if you focus on cadet recruitment with no extra staff the service won’t be good enough to maintain that figure. If you focus on staff recruitment the staff recruit the cadets for them. Made sense.[/quote]
I need a lie down.
Seems we need to have a new strategy!! :cheer:

I don’t suppose that there was any indication as to how this would be achieved, given that HQAC has never had much of a clue in the past. As I say words and fine sentiment are cheap.

Doesn’t get away from the lack of milestones etc, given some of the items should definitely be time bound in order to focus people’s minds.

They work to make it less crap to be a CFAV: Make it smoother to recruit them, clarify their status, train them properly, give them less crap to deal with and more cecognition for doing the job. This builds morale and aids staff retention.

They work to make it less crap to be a CFAV: Make it smoother to recruit them, clarify their status, train them properly, give them less crap to deal with and more cecognition for doing the job. This builds morale and aids staff retention.[/quote]
Is that the official line or the wish list we’d all like to see?

I’d need even more of lie down if it was the official line.

They work to make it less crap to be a CFAV: Make it smoother to recruit them, clarify their status, train them properly, give them less crap to deal with and more cecognition for doing the job. This builds morale and aids staff retention.[/quote]
Is that the official line or the wish list we’d all like to see?

I’d need even more of lie down if it was the official line.[/quote]

More or less what she said at wing conference. This year has very much been a year of her learning about the corps. She spoke individually to every member of staff at our conference in the bar about what they think needs changing to make our lives easier, and I for one think she’s the woman who can do it. Suggestions like simplifying the remuneration system, maybe even getting us on JPA, the extra pay days last year,more pay days at Nijmegen. All looking up.

I suppose we can only watch and wait.

Career Opportunities, 2 job offers within a week of each other down 2 very different paths (which I am both qualified to do) and both can lead to good things.

Which to take?

[quote=“Victor Zulu” post=12309]Career Opportunities, 2 job offers within a week of each other down 2 very different paths (which I am both qualified to do) and both can lead to good things.

Which to take?[/quote]

Do you prefer flipping burgers, or frying chicken? :wink:

1 Yet more money being wasted investigating Jimmy Saville.

2 Inquests and the like when servicemen and women die while on active duty.

3 The bloody McCann story popping up again. They still don’t think they did anything wrong when leaving their children alone while they went off for some scoff with their mates. If they had been Mrs/Mr Scumbag and not nice middle-class doctor types the police and social services would have been all over them and the other kids taken off them. As a parent you would not leave your children at that age on their own. It’s a pity they had to find this out the hard way.

1 Like

Cadets dropping out of a Gold DofE Assessed expedition, and making the group not viable, after I spent my weekend sorting it out and getting panel approval.

Annoyed doesn’t quite cover it.

Some staff Egos that are getting in the way of cadets getting involved in additional activities GMG :!: :!:

Still not received my F7257 from a course in June!

I’m hoping that the wing post will deliver something nice in time for Christmas…

PEOPLE WHO CANNOT FOLLOW THIS SIMPLE INSTRUCTION, ESPECIALLY WHEN SENDING TO AN EMAIL LIST RATHER THAN SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS.

JSP101:
“i. Remember that large attachments (including documents containing badge or crest images) greatly increase email size. If recipients have access to a common file storage area, use hyperlinks or shortcuts rather than attaching files. This reduces the size of the email and does not slow up the network. Only attach documents when recipients do not have common access to files.”

In a list you can’t be sure who has access though and the email link shouldn’t require an additional login and password. Cover all these and links as opposed to attachments works well. Maybe the email system needs to be more manly.

We have a system that EVERY member of staff has access to. It’s called SharePoint.

I agree with MattB, that grinds my gears too.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=13752]In a list you can’t be sure who has access though and the email link shouldn’t require an additional login and password. Cover all these and links as opposed to attachments works well. Maybe the email system needs to be more manly.[/quote]If you’re sending to a BADER address then any recipient also has access to Sharepoint.

Yes you have to enter your password again, but that’s once per day and it’s FAR, FAR less annoying than having to trawl through my inbox every few weeks deleting all of the 1mb attachments from emails that have absolutely nothing to do with me.

But Sharepoint requires logging in and entering the same password, with the same details as for email. Yes I know there are tecnhical reasons why this is, but it is and will remain a barrier to full and open communication by email only using links.
Personally I prefer an attached document far more immediate and not relying on connecting to another system to access things. I get links sometimes from Wing and leave them till I get to the sqn, send a document and I open it immediately.
The only reason they have that in the JSP is because they can’t be bothered to invest in a decent email system, like what we have at work, 300000 employees worldwide with 2.3GB each to play with. I’ve got emails going back 8 or 9 years and still haven’t reached 0.8GB and that includes an awful lot of ATC stuff.