You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

That too.

I wonder how ancient the person who decided upon the ‘no piercings in civvies rule’ was.

3 Likes

Or, more likely, when that rule was first written.

It feels like something that was written in the 60s and then included from then on because nobody’s got the imagination to think differently.

And given what I know and have seen of friends and former colleagues in the RAF, this is not a rule they enforce.

1 Like

The responses to this didn’t go the way you hoped, did they?

4 Likes

Tbh, rules are rules. If you’re happy with your cadets looking like that on your Sqn then that’s fine by me.

But if I am camp com and on my Sqn, if it’s in the book then that’s how it is.
If they change the rules then equally, that’s how it will be.
Btw, I have already briefed my cadets both boys and girls on the new beard rules. So if they comply then that’s fine too.

Point is. We have rules. Whether we like them or not.

4 Likes

The regs already allowed girls to have beards. They specifically stated male personnel were to be clean shaven, said nowt about the girls.
But seriously, I’m with you

1 Like

Just proves a point in the way the organisation is going

Yeah it’s heading fully into the 21st century. It’s about time

6 Likes

Hearing something like “I don’t know why they haven’t replaced the Air Training Corps badge, since we’re the RAFAC now.”

3 Likes

Mass changing on day 1 of email signatures and Facebook pages to “x Sqn RAFAC” got me way back.

1 Like

Catching up with the parent organisation? How terrible…

Have you not seen my points about how the only way you can achieve positive change in this organisation is by doing exactly that? HQ seems to only change stupid rules once they see everyone ignores them anyway.

A few examples:

• No.3A uniform
  • MTP barrack shirts
  • Blue Goretex on staff (IIRC)

The problem with that rule about piercings, is that it’s unrelentingly stupid.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you.

3 Likes

Was on a recruitment stand at an airshow over the weekend. We were running a raffle competition to win airport hanger tour tickets with instructions to take the raffle ticket to the RAF Air Cadets stand, except we were marked up as Air Training Corps on our stand.
Got people terribly confused.

We ARE the Air Training Corps! it is the ACO that has become the RAFAC

5 Likes

Yep I get that.

1 Like

That’s down to whoever designed the tickets.

WRT piercings, I thought the MoD had relaxed things for regulars so they could do things and look like joe public.
Given we in the cadets are Joe Public who just happen to play dress up, why we are hamstrung by their rules that mirror the MoD ones but allow us a few more freedoms.

England’s Batting

9 Likes

Newcastle United and their infuriating inconsistency.Get stuffed by Norwich one week and then next go to Spurs and win!

2 Likes

New manager by Christmas, taxi for Mr Allerdyce to Newcastle unless it stops in Manchester first.