You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Because they’re banning groups or individuals that directly wish harm or violence on people, not because they’re on the right or left.

If you see any evidence of any side doing that, report it and let their moderation system try to keep up.

3 Likes

Are Antifa or UAF banned? Does this ban include the DFLA? Or just has been organisations like EDL and Britain First? What will they do when Tommy Tobinson is the next UKIP Leader?

1 Like

The reason they’ve banned Tommy Robinson is because he promotes hate. There is a difference. I’m the first to respect people’s opinions and right to free speech, but promoting hate isn’t okay.

Are you really putting the EDL into the same category as the Green Party?

That’s like putting Hitler’s brown shirts with the girl guides. Switch on, fella.

The nutters who have been stopping traffic in cities recently are in all probability “greens”.

The cynic in me would say that FB are only doing it to deflect flak they get for all the other things people don’t like about SM companies tax dodging, information sharing etc and in this instance far right groups are an easy target.

There’s part of you that ISN’T cynical?

On a brighter note, nice to get some warm sunshine today. Just in time for the BH weekend too!

1 Like

I’m working all weekend except my Birthday on Monday. Perks of the NHS! :frowning:

Done that soooo many times and been working when the clock goes back on nights as well.

1 Like

Sickening mate!

Sometimes where I worked the extra hour allowed you to get a handle on things before the day staff arrived. Worst was when a full moon was up on ICU or A/E, now that was hard and scary.

1 Like

Too rights. Although, I don’t have as much experience of the acute. I’m primary care based. Bank holidays are always extra juicy.

1 Like

They haven’t really banned “far right” groups, as it’s a political movement that doesn’t really exist. They’re generally centre or slightly left or right of centre, with a heavy dose of nationalism and racism.

The point is not about banning legitimate left- or right-wing politics, it’s about not giving people a platform for spewing hate.

2 Likes

The comments on the Mail article are scary.

About this in general, or full-stop?

1 Like

Well, yeah quite often generally, but I made the mistake of reading the comments on the “banning far right article” article.

I once made the mistake of reading any Daily Mail comments at all.

1 Like

Why a mistake??? You have just cut yourself off from a number of ideas they may not be to your liking but their maybe 1 or 2 that do. The problem is people just read things from 1 position and don’t listen or understand the other persons position the end up is a large division in life.

Just look at the Scottish referendum or the brexit referendum. Too many people picked a side refused to listen to other ideas or even engage with the other side and now we have practically trench warfare with people given stupid labels and insults hurled at each other.

to read ,listen and understand something that you don’t agree with isn’t a mistake, it’s an opportunity to understand why others are feeling that way and see if you can engage and rationally change their minds or find a common ground.
Something most MPs have utterly failed at I should point out :wink:

As soon as you ban something it makes people more curious.
So they’ve banned these right wing groups and individuals because people don’t like what they say. As @big_g says unless you understand why it is they are saying it, you never get close to resolving the problem. In the early 00s we had BNP councillor elected in one ward, why, because in that area there had been a lot of East Europeans housed there at a time and as the people could see being given things that people born here couldn’t and or weren’t getting. There were all manner of complaints to the council and councillors to no avail, so for 5 years there was a BNP councillor amd a Labour councillor who needed to get a real job. When initially elected, the Mayor (who several of us on the squadron knew), said they don’t know what they’ve done. We said they do as the council have chosen to ignore their concerns, no matter how irrational.

The leave the eu referendum happened like it did as the politicians and Brussels thought people who go with the status quo and didn’t listen to the people. I don’t believe any of the rhetoric from those campaigning to leave swung anyone the decision in people’s minds had been made.

With the greatest will in the world that’s not right.

The Remain campaign failed because of a failure to engage on an emotional level with the electorate and a failure to recognise that the real issue at stake was immigration not economics. There definitely was an element of aloofness to the Remain campaign which was damaging but it was far from the only reason they lost.

The leave campaign on the other hand seized the narrative very well and ruthlessly exploited the fears and prejudices of a large swathe of the electorate with hazy promises and insincere rhetoric. I think it’s remarkably naive to think that the campaign didn’t change anyone’s mind at all. Just look at the amount of people coming out and saying they would change to Remain if the referendum was re-run.

This isn’t just my opinion but the conclusions of several pieces of robust academic work I’d be happy to provide you with the titles of.

1 Like

Robust academic work, I suggest that you listen to the words of Professor Robert Tombs of Cambridge University who has stated 98% of his academic colleagues are ardent remainers. Robust mmmm maybe not.

Back on track please