You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

The absolute drivel being posted on social media and in the press around Pro-Palestinian demos next weekend.

No the police can’t ban a static protest.

Yes the Home Secretary could ban a March but she would have to ban all marches by all groups in that area to do so.

No the Palestinian March isn’t planning to March on Whitehall on Sunday at 11am, they are planning to March elsewhere in London, on Saturday, in the afternoon so as to avoid any Armistice events.

Yes the Police are arresting people who commit offences, but as the Commissioner pointed out before he was even the Commissioner their are glaring gaps in the legislation that successive governments have done nothing about.

Yes freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of assembly are important, but they do apply to people you don’t agree with too.

Woosah!!!

11 Likes

Do you honestly believe Braverman shares that view?

I don’t really care what Braverman thinks, she’s only in Government to keep the far right of the party happy and to try and keep the Northern seats by talking tough on immigration.

2 Likes

The Overton Window has moved so far left hat anybody with Conservative views is labelled far-right.

4 Likes

I disagree, I’d say it’s more the other way in a lot of cases! Also why there are a lot of people calling the current Labour Party the ‘Red Tories’.

#sundaypolitics

Tell that to Starmer at the moment.

1 Like

The left always call Labour Red Tories when they start to do things that the public support, it’s almost like the country is centre right these days and that’s what they have to do to be electable.

I think the middle ground has dissipated a lot, not as bad as it has in the US but heading that way.

Hopefully Starmer will be able to purge the extreme elements back out of Labour to make them somewhat credible which will force the Conservatives to do the same. (That will probably be way for them to do while out of power).

The Overton Window has shifted significantly to the right in recent years, particularly since the Leave campaign was hijacked by the right-to-far-right campaign groups.

This is why we’ve such deliberate attacks on civil liberties, whilst public spending has been cut to the bare bones (with notable exception of through Covid). A state with a heavy focus on “security” but a very small social safety net is the absolute definition of the right wing.

Braverman & Patel are just the far right face of this shift.

2 Likes

That was to a large extent allowed to happen because the remain groups decided to demonise all leave voters as rabid Nazi’s, it stifled debate and then cost Labour the red wall when it turned out that northern working class people are anti-immigration, were anti-Europe and that they aren’t idiots and did know what they were voting for.

2 Likes

Please name the so-called right and far right groups?

It is also the definition of far left as well. Social control is standard for both extreme wings in politics.

1 Like

Only for another year or so it appears. Then someone less douchey will do the job

All of the far right groups supported Brexit.

Britain First, BNP (what was left of it by then.) The EDL, (again, much smaller, apparently because many of the members joined UKIP around this time.) Leave.eu had some pretty far right thinkers and leaflets.

It stands to reason really. It’s abundantly clear than not everyone who voted for Brexit was racist. But all the out and proud racists voted for Brexit. Because it was always sold as a way to control the entrance of “the immigants”

Edit: you also asked for the ‘right’ groups that supported Brexit, well that’s easy UKIP and a large proportion of the Tory party for a start.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to tell us the right wing groups that didn’t support Brexit?

1 Like

The problem is that remain decided to lump everyone who was pro-Brexit into that group rather than selling remaining. They then were all confused when they lost and blamed it on people being too thick to agree with them, they were then stunned when Saint Jeremy spectacularly lost the General Election.

Being opposed to open borders such as we had with the EU doesn’t automatically make you a racist, but try telling that to Momentum.

4 Likes

I agree, partly. The only real effort to sell remaining as a good thing, as opposed to just slating leaving as bad was the push by Gordon Brown, but the bigwigs in Cameron’s campaign knew better…

Also, I wouldn’t describe Jeremy’s loss of that election as spectacular, he came very close to winning that election in terms of votes, and if a small number of seats had gone the other way, he could have formed a coalition government with a majority.

1 Like

Oh dear oh dear, usual left wing accusations. The BNP (doesn’t exist anymore) and EDL are minuscule compared to the far left and their long march through the institutions and public sector, with their common purpose training. .

The people where I live who are most effected by immigration don’t live in the well off suburbs in the inner cities and towns. Those middle classes who approve of uncontrolled immigration like to have people as the woman said on Question Time, 'who is going to serve me my latte in Pret in the morning or getting cheap work on houses far undercutting British workers. .

Considering the left of the Labour party never wanted to be in the EEC, let alone the EU but it was foisted on the UK by Heath and referendum in 1974/5 agreed.

As a member of the Conservative Party I am a profound Thatcherite in outlook and thought, small efficient government, strong defences and strong essential services.

1 Like

Where would be now with Jeremy the magic grandpa and the Labour Party being described as institutionally Anti-Semitic by the EHRC in the UK. Starmer has never released the Forde report investigation. Anti_Semotes are still a cancer in the party.

1 Like

Public spending, and the tax burden that goes hand in glove with it, is at an all time high.

1 Like

There was overwhelming support by the British people with 67% of the voters in favour in the 1975 referendum. That’s not foisting, that’s a democratic decision with an undeniable mandate.

I’m sure, when we eventually rejoin the EU, it will be after a similar democratic decision.

‘Thatcherism’ and conservativism was completely failed. We’ve got public services at breaking point, whether it’s the NHS, local councils or education. Privatisation has been an abject disaster, with rail and water just lining the pockets of investors while destroying the very services that they are supposed to be running. Our environment is rapidly declining, with 1 in 6 species in the UK at risk of extinction and the people have limited access to nature or the countryside. Not enough housing is being delivered and what is built is shoddy quality with appalling sustainable, while the housebuilder companies make massive profits.

It’s time for a completely different agenda that wins the popular vote and delivers for the majority of the UK population, not just for the rich party donors.

3 Likes

You asked a question, and that’s the correct answer. Those groups may be miniscule, but they exist, and supported Brexit. As did right wing parties like UKIP and The Conservative Party. (Which was only ‘right’ back then, not quite the ‘far right’ it’s gunning for these days.)

You also seem to be making exactly the same mistake Daws is warning against. Just because a lot of people didn’t vote for Brexit for racist reasons doesn’t erase the fact that racists would have voted for it for racist reasons. That’s how nuance works. You seem to be upset at this idea, as if it undermines your own position to admit that racists agreed with it? Voting for Brexit doesn’t make you racist just because racists also voted for it? You also correctly point out that the far left also supported it, that doesn’t make you a Marxist either.

You also seem to have taken by pointing out that Corbyn came close to winning that election as some sort of support for him. You see there’s a difference between acknowledging he came close, and thinking he was some sort of hero? Again nuance.

2 Likes

And that’s what should piss you off the most. We’re spending records amount of money and getting the worst value for it ever.

So much for the small ‘efficient’ state with ‘strong’ public services.

6 Likes