You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

If my packing was anything like my flying, I’d be brown bread ! :rofl:

Don’t jump, or go with ‘meh, it’ll probably be OK, and worst case, I’ve got a reserve’

First, Second and Third Sig, plus stage checks and independent inspections.

Thing is, everyone who packs their own parachute is at the least adequate at it.

Those who aren’t, well…

As the old saying goes “If at first you don’t succeed, maybe parachuting isn’t for you!”

1 Like

…But I believe most parachutes have a manufacturers guarantee …so if it doesn’t work at least you can take it back and get a refund! :grimacing:

1 Like

Two camps cancelled over the last few weeks due to issues with fire safety on accommodation.

1 Like

is it any wonder we can’t use tents (12x12 etc) due to fire safety if hard accommodation cannot pass assessments?

(on the assumption this was hard accommodation?)

We should stay in hotels surely?

In all seriousness, we lose so many courses and camps due to DTE / accommodation issues. Should we look at more use of private sector provision (scout/local authority outward bound/commercial with hardened accommodation) or yes even hotels for staff attending courses? I’m sure MOD gets a good rate from the chains.

Do we not have access to the DHRS for when we can’t otherwise use MOD accom? I’ve never used it, but I thought it was an option we do have access to if required!

Good question. I think so, but was thinking more of collective bookings for courses. For example one course I need to do has been canx several times due to accommodation. We could run it out of a Reserve centre but can’t stay overnight.

Yes there is a cost but relatively minor (1 night in a Travelodge grade place is still VFM if it gives staff a Qual)

Quite a widespread issue I believe across many cadet centres/similar buildings.

1 Like

It doesn’t help that they rely on us volunteers to do all the legal fire inspection stuff.

2 Likes

Is fire safety getting out of hand? ALAP as opposed to ALARP.

If a building has a fire safety certificate, what will have changed for the need for a ban? There is an automatic emergency fire system backed up by call points, fire doors are operational and all have an emergency fire brief.
Example
The Astra block built in an RAF station for young people to use was built for a class of 30 children plus 4 staff to accompany the children is a single story building with single en-sweet rooms for staff and 5 six person (3 bunks beds)rooms for the children each with its own bathroom.
Fire safety on camp said that only 5 persons can use the multi rooms. This building was less than 6 months old, with a emergency fire system and each room had windows that were wide enough for people to climb out of when the numbers were reduced.
Did this building become unsafe or was it built to an unsafe standard, this for a building that allegedly cost 7 figures?

2 Likes

Mine has a lable that says Caution - Opens on Impact !
:rofl:

Why doesnt RAFAC HQ purchase say 10 sites across the UK.
Each site with basic hard accom inclusing kitchen.
And a few acres for FT.

Wings and sqns could then book these out instead.

1 Like

Careful now, that would still be MOD controlled so would still be as problematic as most DTE type stuff!

2 Likes

MOD struggles to provide accommodation and facilities to the regulars. Can’t imagine it would go down well if they spent a load of money on buying us land

2 Likes

Fixed that for you :wink:

4 Likes

Lol, like they have the monies for that. And maintenance. And staffing. And kit.

1 Like