You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

There’s a reason I’m returning this year… Got to validate last year’s effort.

The mental process to keep going feels very different on a long single-dayer versus a multi-dayer to me. Not sure which I’d say is harder, given the different feeling involved.

1 Like

I dont disagree, all valid points and would be very useful.

Seconded. Our wing don’t use 100 accounts it would seem like you get

It takes 2 seconds to delete an irrelevant email.
It takes days/weeks to try to prise information out of people that haven’t shared it.

6 Likes

Gone away for the week to Centre Parcs…10 miles from CP car starts making noises ergh. Driveable but probs need to get it looked at this week.

Any recommendations/friendly lurking mechanics around the Thetford area :joy:

1 Like

It doesn’t take much longer than 2 seconds for an SME to create an Outlook mailing list, to use on a recurring basis.

2 Likes

Although with the staff churn, maintaining it will be an ongoing issue

GMG
People who feel the need to email my personal and role accounts.

Why do I need your email twice!?

1 Like

Because people just don’t understand the role account concept. Still.

And some people are still refusing to use personal accounts :roll_eyes:

And of course, not doing so is likely to cause them problems at some stage !!

It annoys me because it really isn’t that hard. Do I need the person, or the job?

2 Likes

True. But that depends on people using both accounts.

Does strike me as weird the role accounts.

We got rid of our role accounts a few years back. Which was nice, slimmed me down from 4 roles (main email, role email, TMEC email and PPE and safety) to just my main email.

I still have a “role” assigned to my main email though, so you email me and in brackets it will come up with JNCO ATAV (or should, they didn’t bother changing it).
I see our squadron adj hoping between two or three email accounts. Doesn’t really work. Should just have individual emails and a group mail box for the squadron. Have the option to search for the role, but it still emails the personal account as the “role” should just be search criteria pinned to the personal.

1 Like

I think it is in part how Microsoft ‘does’ email. I’ve worked in a few projects where we’re operated entirely in the Google environment and the functionality is much better (but the interfaces are less slick). For example you can assign an email in a group to an individual for action much in the way you’d assign a ticket.

But it doesn’t really have a SharePoint competitor so some of the things that SP does easily, need a load of work arounds in GSSuite.

It’s just because they aren’t used properly. It would be a pretty good system if it was used well, but it isn’t. You need to ‘group mail boxes’ assigned to individuals for multiple reasons. One, it means it’s easy to always contact a role. ie OC 1234 Sqn. So oc.1234 will always go to whoever is OC at the time. It’s also good so when a new person takes over a role, they have access to all relevant historical emails from that role.

The problem we’ve got is most people completely failing to use the role vs personal system correctly. My sector commander for example refuses to set it up properly. He will only send emails and reply to emails from his personal account. So he’s set a forwarder up on the role account. It means who ever takes over that account will have no access to any of the conversations that might be critical to that role!

I could really go on and on and point out how this system would be great, but is let down by PICNIC.

1 Like

Yes, but that also is not hard if you understand WHY you have a personal and a role account.

Agreed, but they aren’t implemented according to best practice. For example, emails to all.wing should go to… all in the wing. But they don’t, they go to all role accounts in the Wing, which is both counter intuitive and annoying if one holds a role account because they’ll receive it in the general account AND the role account. That is assuming the problems with accessing general accounts via personal accounts are resolved, which I can’t remember off the top of my head.

2 Likes

They are.

This is fixed for All Region… the Wing distribution is on the list but shall ask for an update :+1:

Ah yes, I remember now, thanks.

I suspect because it wasn’t done at the point of the personal account rollout it’s caused confusion, particularly for the less technically minded, but hopefully this will help solve some problems.

Printers, and words.

1 Like