You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

GMG: Airline passengers who still dont know the rules about bringing liquids through security, causing the entire line to have to wait for them to decide if they want to go back and check their toiletries bag or throw it away!

Company I work for decided to spend Ā£100m for the naming rights to a live music venue, despite never having done anything in that world before, now having to make 20% of the head office (about 400 people) redundant to make the savings needed to stay afloat.
Iā€™m ā€˜at riskā€™, but not definitely out of a job.

6 Likes

Head offices are becoming a thing of the past. When I started in my last job the HO function had nearly 3000 people, when I left it was 250 as over the years everything became computerised less people did the same. When I started our section had 9 people doing everything with pencils, calculators and paper spreadsheets, this reduced to 2 over 20 years.
So whatever reason they maybe giving, the bottom line is they wonā€™t need that many people. Also depending on length of service, what terms are offered and continuing pension commitments, redundancy is not cheap. Many prefer ā€˜natural wastageā€™, ie putting it out there so people just leave or early retirement. Personally Iā€™d make them pay to get rid of me.

My employer has head offices all over the world, with the main one in Helsinkiā€¦but everyone is on a work from home contract.

This is the future

1 Like

Congratulating staff and cadets for attending Nijmegen and training hard, asking for their photos and memories whilst simultaneously knowing that HQAC prevented them earning the medal and including a gold badge on the post to rub it in then disabling comments when the heat got too much (pardon the pun).

2 Likes

Belay that last, all posts now removed from social media.

Iā€™m guessing someone realised that putting the gold Nijmegen badge in the videos was a terrible idea, when the cadets have been told they can only get the silver one! (At least thatā€™s what I gathered.)

Ive been told they will get goldā€¦

But things change i guess

Thatā€™s what I originally thought too. But the cadets commenting on the Instagram post had certainly been told they were getting silver as they were not happy about the post. And at the end of the day, they donā€™t meet the gold Nijmegen criteria AFAIK.

What a right old nightmare!

2 Likes

Yeah. Myself and team are sorry and didnā€™t mean to cause offence.

Loads of people at Nijmegan had been sending us photos and asking when we were going to acknowledge they still completed the two days. However, there was confusion over the badge being awarded, and the timing of the post (as some are just arriving home) was wrong.

We have now confirmed it is silver that is being awarded.

Apologies on behalf of the influence team.

12 Likes

Thanks for acknowledging, we need more of this rather than defensiveness from the organization. Understand thereā€™s a variety of emotions and feelings coming through so hopefully when things have settled thereā€™ll be a better time to get feedback.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know this is what weā€™re calling it now!

I remember seeing an announcement back in May ish about the change. Might have been part of the wider digital team changes?

Not related to digital team changes. Influence is a term being used more widely in defence comms, so we aligned in May as you say.

I have to retype most sentences saying Iā€™m in the cĢ¶oĢ¶mĢ¶mĢ¶sĢ¶ influence team.

2 Likes

Fairs, I just know I remembered seeing the influence name change on the announcements at some point! :slight_smile:

Second only to the ā€˜Obsidian Orderā€™.
:rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Just want to clarify; I assume any RAFAC teams who entered as Civvies rather than part of the BMC were able to complete the March? (IIRC wasnā€™t one day cancelled for everyone?)

Having completed Nijmegen before myself, I can only imagine how disheartening it is for the teams. Maybe itā€™ll push more teams to enter as Civvies next year. One positive is no 10kg deadweight but 50km x 4.

As a Star Trek Nerd, I got the referenceā€¦

3 Likes

But operate like the Ferengi Commerce Authority. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes