You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Cadet NCO’s that think uniformed staff are only uniformed because they get pay.
Yes, that’s right - because I get paid for the parade nights, the 2 hours early parade night arrival to do paperwork, the countless hours spent e-mailing from work or home.

Also then, same group of NCO’s telling me as Training Officer I should put more on during parade nights, because they work weekends, and that’s their priority!

1 Like

I do hope you explained the realities of life to them?

[quote=“5432golf” post=3075]Cadet NCO’s that think uniformed staff are only uniformed because they get pay.
Yes, that’s right - because I get paid for the parade nights, the 2 hours early parade night arrival to do paperwork, the countless hours spent e-mailing from work or home.

Also then, same group of NCO’s telling me as Training Officer I should put more on during parade nights, because they work weekends, and that’s their priority![/quote]

I find this helps!

I merely pointed out that whilst I accept they have to work, if every cadet aged 16+ thought like that, there’d be very little point in the age limit being 20.

Cadets of all ages and rank, have the choice. They can fit ATC activities around work, or they can pick between the two.

1 Like

Gambling and pay day loan adverts. We are told by the powers that be that advertising smoking is bad, yet you are bombarded by adverts for online gambling and pay day loans.

TBH someone with a gambling habit or taking inadvertant loans can wreck a family in weeks if not days. So why are they tolerated on TV?

Here’s a few…

Picture a television show…

Presenter 1 : I hate TV shows
Presenter 2 : where they need three
Presenter 3 : presenters to say
Presenter 1, 2 and 3 together : a complete sentence.

People who talk over you after asking you what you think about…

Uniformed staff (mainly the adult cadet type) who think CIs are ‘thick’ and have to explain everything military to you.

At final parade indoors : drill instructions at ‘outdoor massed parade volume’.

The same cadet who always loses everything that you give him. We have decided to issue him kit that has been ‘pre-lost’ to save him the trouble.

Finally, yes the government.
Lets put them on ‘performance related pay’.

Writing standing orders from scratch in a determination not to simply plagerise.

Dull!

Why waste time when you can simply copy, paste and amend as required? Allowing you time to focus on important things like the training programme?

I wouldn’t let it bother you. When I have looked at ones around our Wing there seems to be a common thread, with local caveats. Obviously the thinking has been, why reinvent the wheel? The phrase ‘steal with pride’ comes to mind.

Thank you kindly knowledgeable (alleged) elders!

I think in terms of the handover it is where I will struggle the most, determined to do it “my way” in line with the regulations, rather than following “what has gone before.”

I did suggest it to a former Sqn Commander of mine who told me it’s honorable to try and do it the right way, but it will ultimately lead in failures elsewhere.

It’s not plagiarising, it’s “copying best practice”!

Seriously though - don’t reinvent the wheel. Find what others have done, and improve it/suit it to your circumstances. If nothing else, it significantly lowers the chances of your overlooking something.

Balls to that, I simply added my name in in replace of the outgoing OC and changed a few words here and there. I’m much too busy to write my own from scratch :stuck_out_tongue:

Balls to that, I simply added my name in in replace of the outgoing OC and changed a few words here and there. I’m much too busy to write my own from scratch :p[/quote]

You assume some existed previously…

I chose to have a nap instead. Sometimes the organisation can wait!

Sometimes that’s the best option!

Sometimes that’s the best option![/quote]

Very nice it was too.

Cyclists on the road rather than the perfectly good, empty and specifically built cycle paths.

Are the bits that are typically anything from 10 - 200 yards long as council’s try to make it look like they care? Some wag locally put a sign saying “road to nowhere” next to one cycle path sign, which indicated a cycle path 100 yds or so long.
When I’m out on my bike I tend to ride on roads as I’ve always done that, because the cycle paths don’t go where I’m going, are too short and usually littered with glass and other detritus.

Nope, it runs parallel to the road for about 2 miles.

What’s wrong with them being on the road as opposed to the cycle path?

What’s wrong with them being on the road as opposed to the cycle path?[/quote]
As a cyclist, it would bug me if there was a reasonable cycle path available and someone was cycling along the road instead.

Bikes go slower than cars. They have equal rights to be on the road but that doesn’t stop it being annoying and (depending on the circumstances) verging on inconsiderate.